And the Sunbeam still cuts it 60+ years later

Attachments

• Sunbeam 1.jpg
    Sunbeam 1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 466
Really interesting Rob, thanks.
No fat boys or girls on the trips!

A great read, thanks for that.
It was just after the war, probably still had rationing in UK, nobody was over fed in those days. I bet they found the foreign foods a bit strange compared to home.
Sounds like your dad's (2nd?)Triumph was pretty unreliable, what with having to have the head refurbished twice and the big ends and pistons replaced all in less than 25,000 miles, this is why the Japanese bikes took over in the sixties and seventies I guess?
No leathers or boots or crash helmets, just a tweed jacket and trousers and a pair of brogues :D It certainly was a different time.
The cameras were folders, and medium format (6x6 or 6x7) with much better resolution than the later 35mm, I have two Agfa Isollettes dating from the early 1950's and they both still take excellent pictures (I took one on my trip to Spain last year)
Just think if they had used digital back then, we would have virtually no record of those trips 60 years later, it's why I still use film for stuff I want to last for future generations.

Fascinating... it was such another world back then... Great stuff, thanks Rob!

Remember going on family holiday as kids, en route to Malaga by Triumph Herald and MGB, from Southampton to Cherbourg(?) in 1968 on a Bristol Freighter.
Old style aviation, noisy, lots of vibes and smell of oil... hadn't changed much from 1953.

Enjoyed that.:thumb2
It just goes to show, you can have a great trip with 24 bhp on tap (Sunbeams).:beerjug:...and nice pics nick.:thumb2

Triumph thought of everything in those days - Front wheel stand to save time with puncture repairs. Very civilised? All those miles, they had a puncture and the Sunbeams clutch cable needed oiling.

Love those Pre Unit triumphs

1951%20Trip%20Grimsel%201200.jpg

My 1950 Sunbeam, still going strong. The Sunbeam Owners Fellowship is very active and can trace many bikes as they are much sought after now, with even basket cases being restored.

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 207

Back
Top Bottom