590 As A "Hub"?

PhaedrusMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi.

Are any of you guys running your 590 as a sort of hub (GPS/comms/camera/music)?

My understanding is that it theoretically can "do" or control all of the following:

• GPS/Sat Nav (obviously :rolleyes:)
  • A bluetooth comm unit (anyone know if the 590 can control both the comm and camera functions of a Sena 10C?)
  • Mobile phone (make & receive calls)
  • VIRB camera(s)
  • Music from an SD card mounted in the 590 (I gather 32gb is the largest the 590 can work with?)

The specs and descriptions of some gadgets often make claims that real-world owners find to be untrue, or at least prohibitively complex.

Are any of the newer lower-priced Zumos (with mapping for western Europe (incl. France, Spain & Portugal)) able to do all of the above?

Thanks for any replies.

Mark

I load mine with music and play it to a blutooth headset, pairs perfect with my phone, better than the headset can do. Dont use virb or Sena

And it will read tyre pressure monitors although I've heard that they are not too clever.

I run a 590 with a Cardo G9X headset, and an iPhone.

I tried pairing the phone with the Zumo and then running the music through the Zumo but the quality was about half that I get when pairing the phone direct to my headset. I should say that I use Ultimateear monitors when riding so the music quality difference is pretty noticeable.

So I've ended up with the iPhone paired direct to my G9X. The music goes through direct but interestingly, although I've only got the Zumo paired for GPS, I can still control the next track / previous track / pause from the Zumo while the phone is playing music directly to the headset.

Incoming calls still show up on the Zumo but I have to answer them from the headset or the audio channel doesn't work correctly.

I have "Media" and "Phone" deselected in the Zumo menu currently.

I'm just about to embark on a 2500 mile jaunt to Scotland and back so will play with it enroute but so far the above seems like the best overall solution.

The music goes through direct but interestingly, although I've only got the Zumo paired for GPS, I can still control the next track / previous track / pause from the Zumo while the phone is playing music directly to the headset.

This only works for the iPhone playlists - doesn't work for Spotify or any app based players.

I have the 590 with music loaded onto the sd card and connected to my iPhone 6. I'm able to make calls and receive calls, dictate and send texts and listen to music. I also have the Sena 5 so bike to bike comms and the other users can listen to your music as well if they like.

So any paired BT comms (pillion or other bikes) can also hear your music? Is that automatic/default, or can that be controlled - if the other BT comms users don't want to hear my Incredible String Band songs, can they just do their own thing? Probably a naive noob question, but I'm not too proud to ask dumb questions...

Back
Top Bottom