Can you tell me some guzzi stuff?

mikeyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Overland and classic,vale of belvoir,Melton Mowbra
Hi all,
Despite riding bikes for some thirty years I have never owned one:comfort
I have worked on a few,and drooled over plenty!
So I have a hankering that's not going to go away:blast
Sitting here on the laptop looking on eBay as you do,,:green gri
I know I'm not going to be buying a le man mk1 or 2, or a 1000s.
The later le man are more affordable (which is what I always wanted as a yoof!
Or i could buy a Cali and build a special:confused:
Something along the lines of the kaffemachine bikes
Which bikes would be the ideal base machine?
Impart some guzzi knowledge on me before I start on the red wine,
Cos boring Sunday evenings,red wine and eBay are a bad mix:D

850T3's and 1000 Spada's are solid, reliable and don't seem too expensive.
They are easy to customise to your spec as lots of stuff is interchangeable.

They are what I'd go for, probably because the T3 onwards round barrelled Guzzis are the ones I'm most familiar with.

Andres

Spada 1000 at Stafford about two years ago, ex motorcycling instructor. Galactic mileage, Im sure it was north of 250,000 miles, looked tatty but wow what build quality.

Hi all,
Despite riding bikes for some thirty years I have never owned one:comfort
I have worked on a few,and drooled over plenty!
So I have a hankering that's not going to go away:blast
Sitting here on the laptop looking on eBay as you do,,:green gri
I know I'm not going to be buying a le man mk1 or 2, or a 1000s.
The later le man are more affordable (which is what I always wanted as a yoof!
Or i could buy a Cali and build a special:confused:
Something along the lines of the kaffemachine bikes
Which bikes would be the ideal base machine?
Impart some guzzi knowledge on me before I start on the red wine,
Cos boring Sunday evenings,red wine and eBay are a bad mix:D

Get a mint spada, or a G5 such a lovely bike, keep them that way, if you want a cafe racer, start with a pos, or one of those custom square barrelled guzzi's

How about a early Cali 3 with carbs?
Does this model have a Tonti frame,are they the same engine spec as the sportier models of a similar age.?
By the way
I'm thinking £2.5 k max for the bike:D
Then another £5k to build it:thumb

Get a mint spada, or a G5 such a lovely bike, keep them that way, if you want a cafe racer, start with a pos, or one of those custom square barrelled guzzi's

good thinking, but i think you'll be lucky to find a G5. they must have all been snapped up ages ago as they were something of a bargain for years.

please don't butcher any lovely round barrel Guzzis, but knock yerself out on the square stuff :D

How about a early Cali 3 with carbs?
Does this model have a Tonti frame,are they the same engine spec as the sportier models of a similar age.?
By the way
I'm thinking £2.5 k max for the bike:D
Then another £5k to build it:thumb

You could pick up a minter LM 2 for that,

What could you possibly spend £5k on?

good thinking, but i think you'll be lucky to find a G5. they must have all been snapped up ages ago as they were something of a bargain for years.

please don't butcher any lovely round barrel Guzzis, but knock yerself out on the square stuff :D
No fear there,:comfort
I could live with a really nice mk1 or 2 le man:D
In reality I probably enjoy building bikes as much as riding them so for me it makes a lot more sense to start from scratch.
So does the Cali have same frame?

guzzi v11

my old 2000 model bought for 3k a few years ago . about the same now ...I think!

Attachments

• DSCN0668.jpg
    DSCN0668.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 338
  • DSCN0670.jpg
    DSCN0670.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 341
  • DSCN0667.jpg
    DSCN0667.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 334
To put things into perspective,
The current costs to strip,blast clean and rebuild a BMW airhead engine ,gearbox and bevel for a well known south coast custom builder is @£2 to £2.5 depending on spec
The current bike I'm working on will have over£5k spent on it by the time it's finished.:)

Lovely , coming along very nicely,:thumb
Are you keeping track of what your spending,I only ask cos when I check the spread sheets on the bigger projects it's often an eye opener.
It's the little stuff that adds up:eek:

No, not exact, estimate around £5k but that includes the bike

I struggled with the same problem. Then I rode a friend's Cali Special. I bought one two weeks later. Not the greatest bike but it complements the GSA well and also brings a smile to my face during and after every ride. Mine is a '97 Special, so basic but injected. Brilliant, and cheap. Some real bargains on the MG club UK website. JDI..!

Check out Swesty's v65TT that's for sale as a project. It could make a really interesting and different middle-weight trail bike.

Paul g

To put things into perspective,
The current costs to strip,blast clean and rebuild a BMW airhead engine ,gearbox and bevel for a well known south coast custom builder is @£2 to £2.5 depending on spec
The current bike I'm working on will have over£5k spent on it by the time it's finished.:)

I am glad you said airhead - you had me worried there :)

Get yourself a newish V7 and enjoy. Cracking sound and super sweet engine, went from WC to mine and absolutely love it.

IMG_1230edit-1noplateweb1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom