Just had Op, recomend me a .......

ontheroadofftheroad

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just got out of hospital today, so I am making the most of these boards:D

Can anyone reccomend me an mp3 player(not a hdd type thing) as I will be using it on the bike.
1,I would like a long battery life,
2, easy to transfer songs from cd to the player
3, not too worried about capacity.

Also are there any earphones that work as ear plugs as well? Can you recommend any earplugs/earphones as well?

cheers :beerjug:
beers allround

Sorry but I've always found this obsession with listening to music on the bike rather odd.

As a musician I could never listen to music on the bike as I find it too distracting.

You're there to ride and anything which diverts your attention is not good in my opinion and should be discouraged.

Even on a motorway I don't want music in my ears, it's inappropriate and removes me from the real world. This is not something I want to do when I'm on the bike.

Sorry again.

Cheers

Dick

I`m with Guitarman on this.
Fecking music and DJ babble is enough of a distraction in a car, let alone on a bike.
I just don`t think it should be done.
Sorry.

Actually,I`m not sorry.

Minidisc player

I use a Mini-disc player, if you make sure you get one that supports MDLP (long play) you can get appx 5 albums on each mini-disc, thats good for hours and hours of listening without changing disc.

Most MD players/recorders will run on a single AA battery and last ages before needing replacement.

I would also try to get a NET-MD compatible MD recorder as this will make transfer of mp3's much much faster.

It takes me about 5 minutes to transfer an entire album onto a mini disc, and you get digital quality audio too, loss during transfer is nil, if you're going from CD, onto PC (digital transfer) then PC to Mini-disc (again, digital transfer).

I find the beauty of this setup, is for a few days away etc, the md player takes up no room hardly, and throw in a few discs of music and there is more than enough for the entire duration of your trip....

Good luck with whatever solution you choose, and for what it's worth, i've never been distracted by the music whilst riding, my brain is more than able to cope with more than one sound before becoming so confused i'm a danger to myself !!! :p :D

Stu.

Music and stuff on a bike.....

I'm not much of one for music and radios in a car,but on a bike,no way,never.You can even get your mobile hooked up to your head under your helmet now,how fcuking sad is that.I much prefer to concentrate on what I'm doing when I'm riding than listen to music.I always used to think that being on a bike left you to concentrate 100% on what you were doing.Hands up who moans about car drivers on the phone/changing cd's/tuning the radio or doing god knows what else.Ban 'em all I say,cars and bikes alike:mad:

Its for when I am touring, I suffer with tinnitus so without anything to distract from it it just gets louder and louder which does not relax me but makes me tense up and my riding gets worse as a result.

Thanks for the advise

ontheroadofftheroad said:
Its for when I am touring, I suffer with tinnitus so without anything to distract from it it just gets louder and louder which does not relax me but makes me tense up and my riding gets worse as a result.

Thanks for the advise

I bet you're glad you asked eh??

And another thing, make sure you wash behind your ears!!!! :rolleyes:

:D :D

Get well soon

Steve

I'm with Vern.

phone inside helmet = sad

music = distraction and possible ear damage. - plus the music will be distorted.

car driving and phone = dangerous.

however - car and decent music system is good.

Well sorry to all those guys against. But I think music can be used on a bike safely. I use an iPod and do not find that it distracts me at all. The option of a unit You could look at Apple´s iPod Shuffle simple unit or for a little more you have the iPod Mini. No problems using my HDD ipod on the bike.

my 2 pence worth

Lunsarboy

OK, here's an alternative view from, what I've recently learned is the "fcuking sad" fraternity to contribute to the debate :D which will hopefully help to answer the poster's original question:

I'm happy with my combination of Autocom Pro-7 connected to an iPod shuffle 1gb RAM based player and my Sony Ericsson T610 'phone. All of the kit works with no further buttons to press* once riding, which I agree would be bloody distracting/dangerous. I don't use a radio with this, because, as pointed out on a previous reply, the inane chatter of DJ's would be way too distracting whilst riding.

The Autocom is a top piece of kit and allows you to hear the music quite clearly (even wearing earplugs, which I always do) at speeds up to about 100mph. It will also auto mute the music when the 'phone is in use, so you don't have to press buttons to turn off the music. Other folks in this forum are equally impressed with the Starcom system, but I have no personal experience of using that.

I initially used a hard disk based iPod with this setup, but the hard disk conked out after a few months, since it couldn't cope with the continuous vibration on the bike, when sat in my tank bag. I then bought the iPod shuffle (£99 for 1gb RAM, approx 240 songs) which works great. Before I set off on my ride, I press the play button, then it will play all of the tracks in the player to me in a random or preset sequence. No need to touch it again until I get off the bike. You need to load all your CD's onto your PC, then you can easily download them to the iPod using iTunes. You can select which songs to download each time, or tell iTunes to give you a random selection of tracks from your music collection. I don't play the music at earsplitting levels. It's loud enough to hear, but not so loud that it drowns out traffic noise.

The 'phone is also plumbed into this setup. I use this mainly to receive (very occaisional) calls, rather than to call someone else. I have recorded voice tags for the callers in my 'phone book so it will say the name of the caller before auto answering the call, therefore I know who is calling me (assuming they are in my 'phone book of course) before the 'phone auto answers. Being a bloke, I have never spent more than 30 seconds on a 'phone call in my life, so I'm not unduly distracted ;) If it sounds like it would be a longer call, I tell the caller I'll ring them back when I'm not riding. On the rare occaision I want to make a call whilst on the move, the Sony Ericcson has voiced controlled dialing, so I say a trigger word into the microphone then the name of the person I want to call, and the 'phone calls them. I do however need to press the hangup button on the 'phone to end the call, but since this sits in the map pocket of my tank bag that's not too tricky.

I also have a Garmin Quest GPS on my bike. I'm waiting for an audio cable to plug that into the Autocom too, so I have the spoken instructions piped into my headset. Again, the Autocom will mute music while the Garmin is talking to me.

I do enjoy listening to music while I'm riding. It takes the edge off the constant wind noise and I think improves the riding experience. I don't find it at all distracting, since It's not played too loudly and I can hear the other road noises above it. I can understand if as a musician you concentrate more fully on music, since you're thinking about the technique/style etc. that another musician has used to create a track, that would be too distracting on a bike. Me, I just like a tune I can hum along to :D

So, In summary, I don't agree with the sort of universal statement that music on a bike is always wrong, or always right, particularly if the statement is made with such authority by someone who has clearly never tried it. It's a personal choice, and as long as you are sensible about the setup and how it is used, it can enhance the riding experience, rather than cause you undue distraction. It causes me no pain, heartache or regret if you choose not to listen to music on a bike ;)

Live long and prosper \\// with, or without, music in your helmet :cool:

I'm with SilentG here. I do not find listening to music (that I choose and like) distracting in the least, quite the opposite. I have an iPod through Autocom and Ultimate Monitors to which I will be wiring my phone and GPS when I get round to it.

I could find the research if I could be arsed but I remember from my days studying Psychology that it has been shown that people actually need a certain level of ambient background noise to concentrate efficiently. This varies in different people but I find when studying etc I can concentrate a lot better when some ambient music is in the background.

I fail to see why a phone available as hands free on a bike is sad MM and why is music distracting on a bike but not in a car? Can you people chew gum and walk at the same time? :D

All the chap wanted to know whats a suitable player, not to listen to you f' wits go on about wether it's right or wrong.

Can recommend the Sony NW-E99. 1Gb of storage, 70hr out of one AAA and easy to copy MP3, just plug into a USB port, the software is on the gadget. Looks nice as well. Size of a box of matches.

sony-nw-e95.jpg

why is music distracting on a bike but not in a car?

depends how you ride and drive, i suppose.

Car's have always had a radio and i suppose i'm used to them in a way that isn't distracting. Having cd quality, 6 speakers and 1000W amp helps also.

I tried music thru earphones back in 1987 when i got my first sony walkman.
It was uncomfortable , not loud enough ( over an open piped 'guzzi ) and just plain annoying.
It also didn't enhance my style of riding back then .

So after a few years and reading stuff on here about music / intercoms / earplugs etc i thought i'd try again.
After all i ride a BMW so i must have slowed down to a more acceptable pace, i thought i'd try and listen again.

Well, i wasn''t too happy - its fiddly, not the best quality and i found i was thinking about the music and not making progress.

If you've got a business to run, then a phone could be justified in helmet - but anyone else using a phone really needs to get a life. How contactable do you need to be ? How did you manage before ?

Everyone has different ideas and opinions, mine are that i like to concentrate 100 % on riding a bike and when i stop and check my phone - if theres a missed call, well, i might call back.

Happy now ? :)

Music on bikes is the same as music in cars, If you have difficulty in concentrating on things, as some aparrently do on here then, best not to bother.

I can't see the problem.

Guitarman, as a musician, do you never drive and listen to music? Why would you be less capable to do so while riding?

Ok,theres the "your safer in a car if you dont hear something coming" argument, but really, please tell me why you people are saying this, Im genuinely baffled.

:)

Back
Top Bottom