Can basecamp use the device maps when (Nav V) device connected?

G&T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just thought as it could save downloading map to pc as well?

Yes, BaseCamp will (on a Mac at least) draw the map across from most (maybe all) Garmin based devices. It will certainly do so from a Nav V. It's quite a useful function, catering for bods who might have different devices with different maps and / or don't want to wait an hour or two whilst their computer installs the maps fully.

Depending on the speed of your computer it might take a minute or so, which greatly vexes some people.

Depending on the speed of your computer it might take a minute or so, which greatly vexes some people.

Yes the PC will do this to when your NavV is USB connected to your PC. BC will use the NavV maps though it can be a bit slow.

Yes the PC will do this to when your NavV is USB connected to your PC. BC will use the NavV maps though it can be a bit slow.

It can be very slow and you'll probably quickly wish to load the maps onto your PC. When you use Garmin Express you have the option to update maps on the Nav V and on your PC as part of the same process. I can't remember the exact menu sequence but vaguely remember you may need to look under 'advanced' in the options that are presented when updating.

Do as Tomcat says, run Garmin Express and get the maps onto the hard drive/SSD of the computer. This will make route plotting quicker and allow you to twiddle about in Basecamp without the Nav V hooked up

Thanks everyone. I see speed is the main issue with using device maps. Glenn

It is very simple.

1. If you intend to regularly use your computer to plot routes but do not intend to use them on your device straight away, then install the maps into BaseCamp. Examples of when this might be a good thing to do are:

i. You create lots of routes for other people's holidays, which you'll send to them by email

ii. You plan your two week trip away in June but create the routes for it in December

For either of these you do not need to attach your GPS device all the time, so it's easiest to have the maps fully installed. Please though note that, as and when you DO attach your device it WILL still take a minute or so to drag the installed maps across, even though they are already on your computer.

2. If you intend to only use your computer occasionally and do not want to have waited the two or so hours that it would have taken for you to have installed the maps onto your computer, then don't install them.

As I use my computer regularly and do not want or need to attach my GPS device each time, option one is best. I update my maps overnight, so the two to three hours (or maybe longer) it takes to update my computer AND my device in one go does not inconvenience me.

To you, who cannot wait the extra - possibly overnight - time it takes to install maps on your computer, or does not need the maps permanently installed on your computer in the first place, option two is probably best. The time (it is only a minute or so) that it takes for your computer to drag your device's maps across will happen every time you attach your device whether you have pre-installed the maps onto your computer or not.

Wapping puts the both cases clearly, it's up to each to decide.

If you still use Mapsource there is no wait to load maps and it connects to the device faster anyway. You do have to have the maps on your PC though. Maybe the speed of your connection makes a difference to what suits. Mine is reasonably quick, by UK standards at least, latest maps took 40 mins to both PC and device.

Whilst the wait for connection and loading maps might only be a minute or two I found it extremely frustrating when I commonly had six devices to transfer a route to. Garmin should get their act together and stop it loading the map if the same map is already on the PC. They might also look at why it takes longer to connect to Basecamp than to Mapsource.

Given a reasonable internet connection I cannot see why people would not want to be able to see the maps on a PC. Personally I can't see the point of buying devices like the Nav V if all they want is something to tell them how to get from A to B, I prefer to tell the device where I want to ride. But then I used to plan routes in the days before Sat Navs existed.

John

If you have Garmin maps and say an Open Street map on your device, I have discovered that BaseCamp only seems to draw across the Garmin maps. It does not seem to draw the Open Street map across as well.

Back
Top Bottom