Considering a Bonneville T100....thoughts please.

dicktheleg

Pestie to the Nobility
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying something like a T100 as a second bike to my RT LC, idea being that it could be used for gentle local bimbles, possibly 2 up and also to be trailered abroad for similar uses. Maybe 100-150 mile maximum rides over the course of a day.

My RT is used for European trips and touring in its own right, fully kitted out etc so I'm really looking for a second bike just for gentle rides out here and abroad not touring.
I'd also welcome thoughts on any other alternatives such as W800.
Thanks in advance.

not got a t100, mine's a basic mag wheel jobbie.
for what you describe, it'd be fine.
as standard the brakes are a bit crap, the forks are crap, the shocks are just for show, the seats not comfy.
but for the simple joy of riding a motorbike it's great.
I love mine.

great sunday bikes and what they are is fun allways brings a smile to your face you cant go far wrong with a bonnie in my opinion ,and should you get fed up there allways a good resale bike

not got a t100, mine's a basic mag wheel jobbie.
for what you describe, it'd be fine.
as standard the brakes are a bit crap, the forks are crap, the shocks are just for show, the seats not comfy.
but for the simple joy of riding a motorbike it's great.
I love mine.

A more accurate assessment of a T100 Bonnie you could not wish for :thumb

Have a watch of this :augie

I tried the new T120 but was a bit disappointed, then went out on the air cooled Scrambler and loved it, big smiles, so I'm buying one.

Whittled my garage collection to just two - R1150GS and a T100 Bonneville and don't see myself changing that ideal line-up any time soon.

They both do exactly what I want and like you say, the Bonnie is great for day bimbles of up to 200 miles, the GS (or RT in your case) does the job for longer away-day trips.

I've tried the W800 but can't be doing with that god-awful poultice stuck on the RHS of the barrel, suspension was crap and the engine gutless.

Also tried the Street Twin and found it lacking. Engine mapping was awful, you roll off coming up to a corner and it staggers into overrun. Suspension was too stiff and jumped about on bumpy roads. Low down torque is all well and good but you need to plan overtakes half an hour ahead.

Used to have a 2007 Enfield Bullet and whilst it was OK, lacked character and shock my fillings out.

Go for the T100 and keep your RT LC

I sold my GS a few days and quite fancy the Triumph Storm.

I called at Bill Smiths Chester earlier today and tried out a s/h Thunderbird (as they didn't have a demonstrator Storm) which just felt huge and cumbersome - and then I went for a ride on a Speedmaster as I prefer the forward foot controls on my bikes. I hate having my legs cramped on a bike.

It's everything that you have all described really. Great fun but runs out of puff at about 65/70 so restricts some overtakes.

Very nimble and flickable but you do feel every bump and the horn is absolutely useless.

It would be fine for the commute and the odd bimble out but I doubt that I'd be able to keep up with my mates on their bigger cruisers on any serious trips.

Quite tempted though.

Lovely bikes.

What didn't you like?

I can't really put my finger on it. I just thought it was bland. I tried the Scrambler straight after and loved it, again I can't explain.....looks like I won't get that Bike journalists job then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spend a fair bit of my time in the IOM and stay with a mate who has in his garage a W650 and a T100 amongst others and get to ride both of them.
The W650 does the job in a gutless way and I find it just a bit, well boring I suppose. Just reliable transport.
The T100 is a joy in comparison, not perfect but sounds good, goes well enough and a relaxed riding position. Seats a bit of a plank.
So for my money next to the GS its the T100 every time.

Bought the Night Storm

IMG_0185.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've had one for a couple of years and enjoy it. It's got the louder pipes which helps plus an MRA screen (came with a big slab of a Triumph screen that I should sell, don't like it). It looks good, is a hoot to ride around the small roads, sounds good and easy to handle.

The only downside for me - not that comfy for the wife so I may sell it and get another GS. Undecided but an easy sale would perhaps make the decision.

For one up riding with a couple of saddle bags round the Highlands - brilliant.

I can't really put my finger on it. I just thought it was bland. I tried the Scrambler straight after and loved it, again I can't explain.....looks like I won't get that Bike journalists job then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Bought a Scrambler as a second bike great fun great noise with arrow can, you wouldnt be disappointed with it

[/Here's an alternative perspective.

I owned a T100 for a while and was happy to get rid of it.

In many years of biking and many different bikes, it was the hardest to fall in love with.

I found it physically really small. I was always searching for another gear (or two) - maybe I'm just used to bikes that you don't have to rev so much but I felt I was always working the engine too hard. I bought a one-tooth-bigger gearbox sprocket but never fitted it because first gear is already pretty tall and making it taller still would have been a pain for me and the clutch.

Riding it, it seemed to have an almost completely flat torque curve. Impressive perhaps in engineering terms but to me, utterly characterless.

Other people do seem to like them so perhaps it's horses for courses. For chugging on a Sunday they're probably fine. But if you're over 5'10" and want to get places at over 70mph it may not be the right bike.

On the positive side it had the performance pipe so sounded ok and it was certainly very pretty.

Paul g​

Recently tasked with buying a Thruxton for someone found an 09 model and ride it back from Kent.... Fantastic ride, great fun and with the same retro feel ... Might also be worth considering ?

Back
Top Bottom