Map icons, how to change?

GS Bloke

Reaction score
Hi
It have just bought a 590 as an upgrade to my 660 and really like it, couple of questions though:
The map shows a blue knife and fork icon for services and lay-bys, how do I turn this off and enable other icons?

The phone link doesn't seem to show the battery and signal strength like the 660 does which seems really weird, is this hidden somewhere?

Thanks

Hi Wapping, didn't realise you were back :beerjug:

I'm not sure of your reply, maybe I didn't explain very well.
When riding with the 590, it shows blue icons above the road showing me services and lay-bys, can I turn this off as I don't need to be told when a lay-by is coming up?

Any idea about the phone signal and batt strength?

It's a function of the 'up ahead' feature. You can select what is shown in that feature and also turn it off. It is very frustrating navigating the menus as to my mind they are not laid out intuitively. Have a fiddle with it and try to remember what you did each time: I managed eventually to get the presentation of information how I wanted but can't for the life of me recall how I did it. If you back yourself into a blind alley, reset and try again. You won't damage the device.
Alan R

Thanks Alan
So are you saying that what I set (of the 3 entries available) in the Up Ahead settings will control what is shown on the map and not just in the Up Ahead fly in menu?

Thanks Alan
So are you saying that what I set (of the 3 entries available) in the Up Ahead settings will control what is shown on the map and not just in the Up Ahead fly in menu?
yes I believe that to be the case. I recall last year's speaking to a very helpful person at Garmin who advised me how to create a custom group and have that shown on the up ahead feature. It was named xzx and just showed airports of which there aren't too many to clutter the screen as do the knives and forks symbols. I also seem to recall delving into map layers to remove some of the clutter. Sorry if this is all a bit vague but it always feels to me that one has to relearn how to set the thing up each time something new is tried. I've got mine set the way I want it but can't recall how!
Alan R

Back
Top Bottom