Lowering kit

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys, being a stumpy git I have found my rocketship (made oh so much better since the Power Commander was fitted to remove the surging) a little too high for me.

Soooooo I did a bit of investigation and there`s a Company in the states who fit an adjustable assembly which replaces the `fixed` one and they can lower the bike by upto 4" (that`s 100mm in our money). Now, always remaining respectful of anyone else doing stuff for bikes :bow I must say that his seems far too much for me.

So, I`ve got hold of the fixtures and fittings (in stainless of course and so cheap..................... not :eek:) and I intend to fit the assembly (I now have a wee workshop :bounce1) and test it. My initial idea is to just lower it by 25mm as I believe I can lower the front fork yokes by the same amount - always good to keep the front and back the same eh :thumb2

Has anyone had any experience in lowering the bike which may help me?

If I can crack this I intend to offer it as an installation to any of the lads who would benefit from the bike being a little lower!

27240341010_884f9a1e96.jpg
[/url]$_12 by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

27417911892_d2fc68147d.jpg
[/url]workshop by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

Can't help with the lowering kit but I am curious to see you have a vario top box fitted to the bike pictured.
Is that attached to a standard F800 mount plate or something else?

Can't help with the lowering kit but I am curious to see you have a vario top box fitted to the bike pictured.
Is that attached to a standard F800 mount plate or something else?

Ah, that, I designed and made an adaptor plate to fit the standard rack so that the vario `shoe` (or black base plate) would fit onto it therefore allowing the Vario to fit. If you need one take a look at www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk

other stuff in the photo is my laptop connected to the bike via an interface for diagnostic stuff which also allows the resetting of the service reminder :bounce1

I can barely leave myself alone at times :D

I have made a few pairs of dog bones in my time thought about turn buckles but abandoned the idea. Dog bones are easy to make and once you figure out the ratio you can set the seat height where you want.
I wouldn't trust SS on a structural part

Yes agree but I'm thinking to set the height and then leave well alone. The USA company have been supplying these since the XR came out with seemingly no problems and I suspect that if litigation crazy yanks are happy with SS I suspect we could trust it. Only my opinion of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get longer legs you stumpy git!:D

Now, how's my top box plate for the GSA box coming on?:p

Got it fitted, I lowered the static sag position (or in my fick language lowered the seat with no one on it) by 20mm, did the same on the forks (to maintain the bikes attitude - which is bad anyway lol) and its a great success. Its made a huge difference on low speed moving and there`s no determinable effect on handling. No issues with the ESA either. Right result.

27865510181_6916b84b8a.jpg
[/url]2016-06-27 10.21.55 by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looks tidy mark. Curious/concerned how little threaded section there appears to be screwed into the hex adjuster piece on the RHS?.

It looks unevenly screwed in on your original pic, maybe that's how it should be, but it just looks a bit like it's hanging on by a thread, literally.

Nah it's not fella infact both sides of the thread are buried into the turnbuckle nearly eight up to the middle

Thanks for posting

Guys, being a stumpy git I have found my rocketship (made oh so much better since the Power Commander was fitted to remove the surging) a little too high for me.

Soooooo I did a bit of investigation and there`s a Company in the states who fit an adjustable assembly which replaces the `fixed` one and they can lower the bike by upto 4" (that`s 100mm in our money). Now, always remaining respectful of anyone else doing stuff for bikes :bow I must say that his seems far too much for me.

So, I`ve got hold of the fixtures and fittings (in stainless of course and so cheap..................... not :eek:) and I intend to fit the assembly (I now have a wee workshop :bounce1) and test it. My initial idea is to just lower it by 25mm as I believe I can lower the front fork yokes by the same amount - always good to keep the front and back the same eh :thumb2

Has anyone had any experience in lowering the bike which may help me?

If I can crack this I intend to offer it as an installation to any of the lads who would benefit from the bike being a little lower!

27240341010_884f9a1e96.jpg
[/url]$_12 by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

27417911892_d2fc68147d.jpg
[/url]workshop by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

So why did you not just buy the lowered bike from BMW in the first place. Not rocket science FFS:blast

Because at the time they wasn't actually for sale. So what you say now 'rocket science' for brains?

Back
Top Bottom