Any experiences on a MG Stelvio ?

noobie

Reaction score
Just a enquiry really. I know tossers like most bikers, are finicky so change bikes more often that cars so I'd value any stelvio opinions?

One very brief run on a demo bike suggested that the engine, whilst lumpy at tickover, was a gem. The bike seemed to go very well but I am comparing it with a Super Tenere that still has the manufacturers restrictions on the first three gears.

I've had two, a 2009 model bought new, then exchanged it in 2011 for the new larger fuel tank model with ABS and traction control. I had a couple of minor issues with the first bike, the speedo sensor failed in the wet but was sorted under warranty at first service, the other problem was a misfire that was fixed by fitting NGK plug caps. No issues with the second bike.
I covered around 26,000mls on these bikes. Several alpine trips on them, occasionally two up, very comfortable touring bikes with excellent handling and brakes. The engine is a peach and the sound from the exhaust is rather pleasant. They are also pretty easy to service yourself.
I eventually changed to a Yamaha XTZ Super Tenere last year, I needed a lighter clutch due to an old injury playing up, the S10 also has a lower centre of gravity and I find it easier to ride in heavy traffic.
But there are times when I wish I was back on the Guzzi :)

Not owned one myself, my mate has had 2 of them.

First one, bought when they were first launched, was pretty crap. Engine never ran right, had fuelling maps from just about every Guzzi in the range installed to try to get it to right, nothing worked. Plug leads/caps melted on a long run.

Second one, on a "10" plate much better. Very nice bike, goes well and handles nicely.
Rear brake is poor, notorious for getting air into the system and being a pain getting it out again.
Has better under seat storage than a GS (i.e. it actually has some!).
Metal side cases that came with it are good, the Guzzi branded Givi top box not worth the money as its the bottom of the range flimsy one for scooters.
Its just had a new reg/rec after throwing up some weird electrical gremlins (a cheap fix after we found on the forums you don't need to buy a complete alternator + reg/rec unit at £250 from Guzzi).

Theres nothing about it that would make me say to you "Don't buy one", my mate loves his, I prefer my GS. You pays your money and you takes your choice :rob

Having owned an 1150GS for just over 10-years I decided that I although the bike was great (otherwise I wouldn't have owned it for so long) I didn't want another BMW and the Stelvio was the only one that ticked the boxes for me.
I had a go on a Tiger Explorer XC but didn't like it at all so back in 2014 I picked up a brand-new Stelvio NTX and have been loving it ever since.

Had a few extras fitted, the genuine (MG branded Motech Trax) top-box & heated grips plus I then fitted a Lincoln Eagle CARC protector and a Radguard oil-cooler grill. Shortly after I found that a Wunderlich Vario ERGO screen extension eliminated all buffeting and a pair of LED lights replaced the OE Hello fog-lights. Tried a Finebau Forge Fuel injection compensator module to help with the low speed running but it was a disaster so I got a refund, I then discovered that having the fueling set-up correctly (the supplying dealer did not do this) made a massive difference as does running on Super unleaded.

Still loving it. Although I don't use it as much as I should (I now get the bus to work so the daily commute is no more and trips out are the only use it gets) it always puts a smile on my face. Power delivery is smooth and the gearbox is far better than the tractor-box on the old GS. Fuel consumption is disappointing but a 7-gal tank means there is plenty of range.

You owe it to yourself to get a test-ride, I did and am glad that I made the effort to do so (nearest dealer with a demo bike was 100-miles away and I went on a freezing wet day in early January!).

After having nothing but trouble with one of the early watercooled GS's I ended up swapping it for a new 2014 Stelvio NTX.

Embarrassingly let me down at the Dent do, nothing major, blew a fuse which was hidden away from the main fuse box and had to be recovered. Apparently a common problem rectified by swapping the headlight relay for a Bosch item.

In many ways it was one of my all time favourite bikes, and I've had a lot in the last 45yrs. Beautiful torquey motor, handled well even when fully loaded, lovely brakes, finish appeared to be as good as anything else.

In the end I kept it for 16mnts and after much deliberation swapped it for my present Explorer. The reason being, for all the Stelvio was a great bike and I really really liked it, but it was at times just a little underpowered for my needs.

Go and have a test ride, make it a long one.

Back
Top Bottom