Storage size

vRSG60

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My internal memory size is showing as 7.03 GB yet when I select all the files I only show 340 MB.
I have set hidden files to be shown yet I can't find the gmapsupp.img or gmapprom.img files. I want to install the map upgrade but don't have enough room.

can you not use an sd card to put the updates on, as a matter of interest what are you using a pc or mac. looks like wapping beat me to it.

PC
I have an SD card in my 660 but it's at home I was trying to get as much done as possible at work :rolleyes:
I'll give it a try tonight with the SD card installed.
Just looking again I may well be up to date -
Software version 3.2
Map : Full Coverage of Europe 2017.10

Or maybe not, still get the update message when I connect.

Put my SD card in installed updates now I get the error message "Cannot unlock maps"

FFS Map update has installed on the SD card.
I've looked on My Garmin and there are no unlock codes listed under my maps or devices.

OK, as I read it from your posts:

1. You had maps installed on an SD card in a 660, which worked perfectly

2. You took the SD card out of the 660 and put it into your Nav V

4. You again downloaded maps onto the SD card that was in the 660 but is now in the Nav V

5. You turned on your Nav V and you now get an error message, that the maps are locked / cannot be unlocked

Is that right?

If so, it's maybe easy to explain. Map updates are coded to individual devices. The maps on the SD card are quite possibly still coded to the 660, where (I assume) they might still work perfectly well. Have you tried taking the SD card out of the Nav V to see if they'll still work in the 660? If so, what happened?

Put a fresh - preferably brand new - SD card into your Nav V, download the maps to it and all should be well.

If any of the above is incorrect or if some part of it does not work, report back.

just a thought, are your LM updates for the nav v or the 660 or maybe both, if trying to use an update for the 660 on the nav v this will not work, and vice a versa will not either. as above what wapping said with reference to the updates being coded to each device and also i believe the nav v uses a different type of map set called NTU and not NT.

leedude03 is correct. The maps used by a 660 differ from those used on a Nav V.

What I think I would do, assuming your Nav V is brand new and / or hasn't been imported from overseas and / or hasn't been 'improved' by yourself or other previous owners

1. Register the Nav V with Garmin

2. Take a brand new virgin SD card and insert it into your Nav V

3. Load BaseCamp onto your computer

4. Load Garmin Express onto your computer

5. Connect your Nav V and let Garmin Express find it

a. Check that the device's software is up to date. If it isn't update it. Make sure any updates are installed and running before moving on. This may require you disconnecting the device from your computer, restarting it and then reconnecting.

b. I think a British Nav V comes with free Lifetime map updates . Let Garmin Express update the maps onto the virgin SD card. You might as well install the same maps onto your computer whilst you are it.

That should do it.

If it doesn't report back. When reporting back be sure to tell us whether you are using a Mac or a PC and precisely where in the process the fault occurs and anything else of real note.

Exactly how I figured it out Wapping.
I formatted the SD card and tried again, this time it worked & it deleted the old maps.

I've put an old formatted SD card in the 660 & reinstalled the updated maps on that too.

Thanks all.

Ready for my 2 week jaunt around Europe starting Saturday now ;-)

OK, as I read it from your posts:

1. You had maps installed on an SD card in a 660, which worked perfectly

2. You took the SD card out of the 660 and put it into your Nav V

4. You again downloaded maps onto the SD card that was in the 660 but is now in the Nav V

5. You turned on your Nav V and you now get an error message, that the maps are locked / cannot be unlocked

Is that right?

If so, it's maybe easy to explain. Map updates are coded to individual devices. The maps on the SD card are quite possibly still coded to the 660, where (I assume) they might still work perfectly well. Have you tried taking the SD card out of the Nav V to see if they'll still work in the 660? If so, what happened?

Put a fresh - preferably brand new - SD card into your Nav V, download the maps to it and all should be well.

If any of the above is incorrect or if some part of it does not work, report back.

Back
Top Bottom