Long Way Down?

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
It looks like Charley Boorman is carving out a new career and is planning a 'Long Way Down' round-the-world tour, accompanied by Russ Malkin (Image Wizard TV) who was one of the TV guys in Long Way Round.

Russ was recently seen doing level one of the BMW Offroad Course whilst Charley was doing level two. The rumoured plan is to go south through Africa. Not sure what after then. Maybe Australia, New Zealand.

But which bikes will they be riding?

Tim

Zmeagol said:
It looks like Charley Boorman is carving out a new career and is planning a 'Long Way Down' round-the-world tour, accompanied by Russ Malkin (Image Wizard TV) who was one of the TV guys in Long Way Round.

Russ was recently seen doing level one of the BMW Offroad Course whilst Charley was doing level two. The rumoured plan is to go south through Africa. Not sure what after then. Maybe Australia, New Zealand.

Tim

Look forward to watching that on the telly.... I reckon the long way round did wonders for motorcycling..... and not much harm to the GS as well

:thumb

brill series however having met them both spoilt and rude little rich kids who couldnt of done it without their entourage.
However they did do it (with lots of help and back up):beer:

baldycop said:
wouldnt of thought they need bikes just waft along on their own egos, muppets

Like you wouldn't jump at the chance :rolleyes:

brill series however having met them both spoilt and rude little rich kids who couldnt of done it without their entourage.
However they did do it (with lots of help and back up)

Funny.....most people who've met them seem to have found them to be really nice blokes......especially fat chas :)

Methinks you have a bit of a chip on the old shoulder Mr Baldycop ;)

And let's face it, all of us will watch another series...it's got to be preferable to bloody Big Brother or Corrie or 99% or the rest of the garbage on the idiot box hasn't it ;)

Longway Down. Next Bike?

Didn't they both Spit it when 'the' Orange Force let them Down in Longway round? :nenau
The constant Break downs of BMs on these Forums, All the Mods you have to do when buying a new one. Anyone with any sense would go an old 1100 (a White one, like the origanal) with a Real Headlight and will make the trip without having to sent Home by Plane. Then a Crap Russian Ag bike with a Novice Camerman Rider showing up the GS. No, let me guess BM will Pay em tons! Or will the next bike be a Ural? A Goldwing? A Harley? Or a ..? Joking by the Way!!
I think what Longway Round did for the GS was Bloody Great. They welcome at River Cottage here in Tasmania any time. No I'm not jealous that they have earnt money. Good on them. Hope to see them in Tasmania and show them one of the Best Bike Islands in the World. I hope they are Good Boys and Go All The Way Down? I Reckon?
Charlie for your next King ! :bow :bow BIGJim Tasmania.

Tim Cullis said:
My money's on the F650 replacement.

Huge marketing potential (as well as possibly better suited than the bigger GS's).

F650, Yeah could be.

Funded by BMW , Lighter? Will they just crawl along Highways? Harley Fergison then. :rob Everyone who Knows a little about Bikes knows alot about Harleys. ( Owned 2). KTM, they have missed a very Big Boat with not getting involved the first time. Then again I can see Charlie on a PD F650. Thanks fore the chat. BIGJim. :beerjug:

MikeP said:
My money's on the F650 replacement.

Huge marketing potential (as well as possibly better suited than the bigger GS's).

Or the 800GS??? :)

Better marketting op. as it's a brand new bike.

(Or are they replacing the littlun with the 800?? :nenau)

Tasy's BIGJIM said:
Funded by BMW , Lighter?

F800GS coming soon...?

Who cares. Charlie was one of my instructors on the BMW Off-Road course last October. Rode the t*ts off the HP2 he was on, and a nice bloke to boot. If he rides through Africa and does a DVD to finance it I'd buy it.

:thumb

edit.. beat me to it Bill!

Fanum said:
Or the 800GS??? :)

(Or are they replacing the littlun with the 800?? :nenau)
That's the word I've heard, 650 deleted in favour of the 800 Twin (which by the way sounds more like an old air-cooled Boxer than the current Boxers do!)

Are Africa..?

What will be will be. :bow
I'm selling up to fund an early Retirement. Mum is in a Home? So a little while yet. Then myself and the old GS1100 ( White like the origanal)...to start in Africa head north. No, I don't wont a new one. (Read the 100s of complaints in the forums to see why)?
That Trip "The Long Way Round" certainly did change my life! Yeah I saw Faults. But I didn't care. Those two will never read this but if I ever see them? I will thank them.
Any way one and all take care and so sorry if I have touched anyones nerves. I only mean you well?
Ride for Freedom. (from the Land of Convicts).
BIGJim. Tasmania. :beerjug:

baldycop said:
However they did do it (with lots of help and back up):beer:

Don't forget, Ewan and Charlie were also making a television show. Lots of expensive and heavy equipment were needed. Not to mention the logistics of moving hundreds of thousands of dollars of production equipment accross the globe... carnets, visa's, lighting, sound, videotape, camping gear, spare sundries for an entire crew... I'd say they did pretty damn well and did a fantastic job... I would have given up one of my kidneys to be a part of it...
(I am pretty sure you would have as well).

Attachments

• 22022024-M.jpg
    22022024-M.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 797
Try this link ...

... for a cool Africa trip (and an Americas one) totally unsupported :bow

http://www.loisontheloose.com/

Notwithstanding the fine job by Messers E & C I know which one I'd rather support :clap

Baldycop said:
wouldnt of thought they need bikes just waft along on their own egos, muppets

Fanum said:
Methinks you have a bit of a chip on the old shoulder Mr Baldycop ;)

Chip or not it was a very funny comment, made me laugh ;)

So what happened to EMcG? There was a similar thread up recently that seemed to suggest it was him and Charley doing the trip with the same crew filming, that said if you've watched Murder or Mutiny recently Russ seems to be spending more time in front of the camera than behind it.

I've got to be honest I tended to find that Ewan was the easier person to watch on LWR, he seemed to have a better appreciaton for the places and people they saw and the team they went with. My lasting memories of Charle are him moaning a lot and picking on Claudio... similar in Race to Dakar, he seemed to pick on Matt a lot at the start for his riding.

Good luck to them, they all make a good wage out of it, still find people like Lo much more interesting and admirable... just my opinion.

I loved Long Way Round, I thoughtnit was a great show and obviously did a lot for the GS. Sales went mad after the show so it can only be a good thing. I also met Charlie and Russ at the NEC and found them both to be great blokes. I have to say though that Charlie did moan a lot about everything especially when doing Race To Dakar.

Back
Top Bottom