load maps from Garmin 590 to Mac/PC

Deleted account 210604001

Reaction score
Can anyone remember how to load the maps from your garmin (unlocked) to your Mac or PC. Ive already done this on my main mac, but have dusted off an older mac for travelling on the bike but had to reinstall basecamp and garmin express.

The maps tend to render slightly slower if they reside on the garmin device, so I want to install them locally on the Mac (which I have done on the other mac, but cant remember how :blast ).

TIA

RBW.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yqOjcoPRdDM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lots of other tutorials and 'How to do it' out there, too.

Thanks guys, I wonder if something has changed on Garmin Express, as when I load that and click on maps, the only option I get is to re-install maps to device.

Doesnt seem to be an option to store locally, unless Im being really daft. Checked on my main Mac, and its the same on that as well, just a big button to re-install, which then proceeds to install the maps on the device. :nenau

RBW.

e4456def1e92cde94c6bc000532929da.jpg
1021e1271f264e3a10b005efbc4e93d7.jpg

Try deleting & reinstalling GE from Garmins site

Latest version 4.1.23.0

I'll try that, but only just installed it.. exactly the same version (4.1.23.0) and I see exactly the same screen as above, but without the 'Install Map to computer' section at the bottom.

Weird.

RBW.

OK, found a way around it, re-installing didnt seem to change it (I wonder if there is something about only letting you install maps on one device ?).

Anyway, I copied the 2017.1 map file (.gmap file) over to a fileserver (its about 5GB), then copied that onto the other laptop putting it in the right library location and hey presto it works (the unlock key was already in the folder, as I had to unlock the maps on this laptop).

RBW.

Glad you got it sorted, registered maps can only be installed in the device it came with. But shouldn't make any difference with BaseCamp on another computer. Maybe just poor Garmin Software.

Did you remember to empty the trash after deleting GE & before reinstalling it?

Hey RBW - I am having exactly the same problem with windows? I can see the button "install to pc" but it remains greyed out? When I go into my Nav 5 the only map software I can find is an image file - was this the one you copied across? - if so how did you do it please? I have installed / reinstalled / emailed garmin etc. all to no avail - thanks Jonhall41

Hi, no the file (on mine) is about 5Gigabytes, and is called "City Navigator Europe NTU 2017.10.gmap" - or whatever version of maps you have, so the file extension is gmap (assume its same on windows). The location I cant really help with, on the mac its in a folder hierarchy of User/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps/. I just copied it to a place on my home network (a USB key or remote hard drive will work just as well).

Thinking about the location, Im guessing it sits in program files on windows, but if you search your entire C:/ disk or primary hard drive for *.gmap you should find it.

I didnt do anything else other than copy it over, and hey presto it worked.

RBW.

Hey RBW - I am having exactly the same problem with windows? I can see the button "install to pc" but it remains greyed out? When I go into my Nav 5 the only map software I can find is an image file - was this the one you copied across? - if so how did you do it please? I have installed / reinstalled / emailed garmin etc. all to no avail - thanks Jonhall41

this may be the answer, posted from another thread.

a mod may want to post it elsewhere for more coverage.

Thought I'd pass this on as it has been causing me a head-ache which can't be resolved, even with a lot of pooled experience amongst my colleagues in the business, lots of technical group searches and calls to Garmin .

So, the new Windows 10 update has increased security - a lot. It now uses cloud based technology to filter malware as well as a host of other security measures. The problem is, it now blocks any plug-in drivers from being installed if they aren't certified and installed in a specific way - which most aren't, including Garmin Express.

If you already had Garmin Express working before the Windows upgrade, it should still work, however if you try and install it after, it will still update the maps on your unit, but it won't let you install the maps on your PC; the button is "greyed out" because the plug-in has been blocked.

I've tried everything, including manually disabling all the new Windows security, cleaning Garmin Express from the computer manually and reinstalling it in admin mode - it still gets blocked

So if you find yourself in this position, I'm afraid that there is currently no solution other than to wait for the Garmin developers to release a fix (which I'm told they are working furiously on now). I managed to get a work-around by manually copying the installed maps from my laptop's internal drive to my desktop, but if you don't have multiple computers that may be a problem and it's not that easy to do if you don't know how to copy over and edit registry entries.

Hopefully this might save someone some pain anyway...

PS, I'd recommend you don't run any third-party anti-virus with the new Windows update. Normally Anti-virus disables the built-in Windows protection to prevent doubling up and the resulting problems and slow operation, but until the other vendors have caught up with the new windows structure there could be unpredictable results. Also, the built in "Defender" protection is now as good or better then third party offerings - and free, so I'd just use that

Leedude you are the man! - many thanks - that is exactly what is happening with me - I will wait until Garmin sort themselves out - thanks again fella - Jon

Hi guy's, I have had the same issue here, after downloading Express to a new Mac there is no option for downloading your maps to the Mac only your device. After contacting Garmin and finally getting a response after 4 weeks they have come back and stated "at this time it is not possible to download maps to your Mac, but you can work with Basecamp by plugging your device in, we are very sorry for any inconvenience"...What a load of crap, cannot say I am very impressed.

Back
Top Bottom