New bike stolen..............what % payout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasbmw

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 3 month old CCM has been stolen.

Bought brand new at the end of march, done around 2700 miles since, good condition before the wankers stole it

What sort of % payout might i expect from the insurers (Aviva), and I assume that the payout will involve some negotiation?

anyone has recent experience?

Charles

No recent experience, but I would expect a new one to replace it.

Bad luck on the theft but how about having a read of the policy T&C's? It'll detail the time period on a new bike replacement or full invoice cover if included. Mine was within 6 months of registration on my K9 GSXR policy back in 2010. When it was stolen three months after I picked it up I had a cheque for the full sale price in my bank within 4 weeks of the theft.

If you have to negotiate against market value then that's down to your persistence with the provider and the effort you're willing to put in to prove any offer they make is unreasonable.

Thanks that's very useful, I think it's market value unfortunately

I should think a new replacement bike with all extra's that you might have had fitted when bought if less then 6 months old.

Mine was with aviva mind you I had to remind the assessor.

Terry

Bike has been recovered, surprising little apparent damage, but it has been joy ridden around the local area, with videos Online showing it being thrashed over speed bumps etc etc.

Am suggesting that the insurance co pays for the bike to go back to CCM for a proper check over.

Check your insurance policy I believe the norm is that within 6 months you get a full pay out.

Its good and bad that you got it back. Good that you got it back from those thieving gits.

The bad bit being that your insurance will probably now close the claim or cancel it with no payout whatsoever.
I'd be surprised if they pay for a check up. They'll probably suggest you pay and claim back any damage over and above your excess.

I recall my Honda Dominator getting pinched many years back, the insurance and only just paid out when it was recovered.
When I discussed with them the options it worked out better for me financially to leave the bike as their problem.

In any case a phone call to your insurer will soon clear up what your options are.
I am afraid in the case the wealth of knowledge of other tossers will serve you less well than a phone call or two to your insurers

Do not let your insurance co tell you what you are entitled to. They are chancres and will try and fob you off. Inform yourself. Then go to co. Be careful though there is no point in demanding £150 worth of a claim and loosing your ncb. Do your sums before accepting anything. They will try to rush you into the least they can get away with. JJH

Insurance co has agreed to bike going back to CCM for a full checkover and the bits of work that need to be done. Hopefully all will be ok. But I'm nervous of engine damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insurance co has agreed to bike going back to CCM for a full checkover and the bits of work that need to be done. Hopefully all will be ok. But I'm nervous of engine damage

Are the vids on Youtube?

Vids were on Instagram accounts.
Agreed with insurers engineer, basic scope of works needed, seeing the bike properly today revealed damage to radiator, various scuffs and stuff. Rear beaker rotor looks blue, split in rear tyre etc etc, these bikes run a very tight chain 5-10mm, was adjusted before stolen, now out to 20mm. I'm insured with Aviva, via Bennets, seem to me to be professional and reasonable.

I wonder if all the rest are stolen ?

Just what I was thinking if they are someone will see their bike and pay this scroat a visit and educate him in to not stealing bikes anymore the internet has an habit of finding out the identity of people who post things like this

The bike is mine and I have the choice of taking it back or selling it, so as I'm going to keep it, then getting CCM to check it over will tell me that there is still life in the clutch and that the oil screens and filters are not full of metal. If they are then it's a further conversation with the insurance co.

These bikes come standard with a rev limiter and with the rev limiting removed are raced, with some success so being ragged over some speed bumps shouldn't faze it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom