PDA

View Full Version : A lap of Germany

Wapping
27-08-16, 11:12
I'm off to Germany with two friends next month, to ride what will (very nearly) be a lap of its edges. I have done the same thing in France a few times (always in an anti-clockwise direction, I have no idea why) but Germany will be a first.... and it's clockwise!

The first two days will be a straight motorway bash from Calais to near Hamburg, via Arnhem. We had thought about taking the overnight ferry from Harwich and then doing the Hook of Holland to Hamburg in one bash but decided on the Chunnel and breaking it into two. The reason being that the Hook to Hamburg direct is a longish bash and my friend's wife smashed her hip earlier in the year, leading to a full replacement. Dividing the journey from Calais to Hamburg into two suits her best. From Hamburg it's just a short hop up to Lubeck and the start of lap proper.

From Lubeck, we then take a days ride, along the German Baltic coast to Stralsund for a two night stop. The next day it's a ride around Germany's largest island, Rugen. I had never thought of Germany having islands.... I guess they would have had England had things been a bit different!

From Stralsund, it's a day's ride down to Berlin for three nights. Two full days off the bikes, out and about exploring the city.

From Berlin, a shortish day down to Dresden for two nights, with a full day off the bikes again to have a look about.

From Dresden, it's south, skirting the Czech border to Passau for one night, heading towards the German Alps.

From Passau it's a day's ride to Mittenwald (between Bad Tolz and Garmisch-Partenkirchen) for three nights / two full days doing whatever we like.... I think the mountains will call!

From Mittenwald it's time to swing north again past Munich in a day's ride to Ansbach, for one night.

From Ansbach, it's time to leave Germany and head westwards to France in a day's ride to Meisenthal, for one night. The alternative was to keep heading north past Frankfurt, Hannover and back to Hamburg to complete the full circle. We decided not to, only because we'd be left with a one or two day motorway only bach back to Calais; not a great way to end a holiday!

From Meisenthal, it's another easy'ish day's ride to Ste Menehould near Verdun, for one night.

From Ste Menehould, it's a one day cross-country ride to Wimeraux, on the Channel coast, just north of Boulogne for one night. Again, it's reasonably easy to ride from Verdun to Calais across country and then to home in London in one day but we decided to end the whole jaunt in two.

From Wimeraux, it's an easy run up the coast road to Calais and then to home.

For anyone who might want to do the same thing or similar, I have attached a link to the Garmin file, hosted on DropBox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf5rdcc05amyypl/Final%20-%20Lap%20of%20Germany.GPX?dl=0

The file is a .gpx version so it should open straight up in BaseCamp or Mapsource (other software is available, as they say). It started life on a Mac which DropBox sometimes does odd things to. If it opens as a load of text, check that the file extension ends in .gpx NOT .gpx.txt If it ends in .txt just change its name to end .gpx and all should be well.

For planning the roads to take, I used a variety of German websites and touring books, paricularly the Louis site. They were all in German (of which i speak not one word) but I muddled through in the end.

The hotels I reserved and booked on-line via the excellent Booking.com app and by dipping into TripAdvisor - See list below. Inevitably the hotels in Berlin are expensive but the overall cost I kept reasonably under control by inter-mixing more expensive hotels with cheaper ones. Can anyone do it cheaper, most definitely but I'm now past slumming it. Similarly, can it be done by missing out all / any motorways? Yes, of course it can but that's not the point of this jaunt. It's just a lap of Germany joining up some (not all) of the 'Must do, must see' sites including parts in the north that not so many bods get to.

For maps, I am taking the usual Michelin maps, including the small scale regional Germany maps 541 thro' 546 and Michelin's larger scale map of Germany 719 that usefully takes in parts of Benelux, Poland and the Czech Republic. I'll also have my satnav and may load the OSM maps of Germany too, though all the roads I want to take (even the very small ones) are shown in the Garmin maps already.

Hotel list:

Ibis, St Omer http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-0723-ibis-saint-omer-centre/index.shtml

Trix hotel, Arnhem http://www.hoteltrix.nl

Kino-Hotel Meyer, Haresfeld, near Hamburg http://hotel-meyer.de/en/

Baltic hotel, Lubeck http://www.baltic-hotel.de

Hafenresidenz, Stralsund http://hotel-hafenresidenz.de

Artim hotel, Berlin http://artimhotel.com/en/

Kim hotel, Dresden http://www.kim-hotel.de/en/kim-hotel-dresden.html

Residenz hotel, Passau https://www.residenz-passau.de/index.php/en/

Alpenrose hotel, Mittenwald http://www.hotel-alpenrose-mittenwald.de/english/index.html

Platengarten hotel, Ansbach http://www.hotel-platengarten.com

Auberge des Measnges, Meisenthal http://www.aubergedesmesanges.fr

Le Cheval Rouge, Ste Menehould http://www.lechevalrouge.com

St Jean, Wimereux http://www.hotel-saint-jean.fr/en/

Other 'stuff'... There is a wealth of information out there. All the tourist office sites are good, particularly on how to get about by public transport in Berlin and Dresden. For everything else, the usual Rough Guide To.... and Lonely Planet type books are good, along with the Michelin Green Guide. I flicked through them in Waterstones and decided which one I liked best. There are some great German biking websites, too. Surf away, you can't beat it, would be my advice.

Sour Al
27-08-16, 11:18
Sounds great! Have a fun and safe time.

Regards, Al

Sour Al
27-08-16, 11:20
Remember that the Arnhem 'A Bridge to Far' anniversary is the 17th sep 16.

Regards, Al

Wapping
27-08-16, 11:25
Remember that the Arnhem 'A Bridge to Far' anniversary is the 17th sep 16.

i saw that whilst I was looking at places to stay in the area. :thumb2 We'll be there slightly ahead, the night of 14-15 September. :beerjug:

(RIP) trickytree
27-08-16, 11:44
That sounds like a great trip, have a safe journey and look forwards to a rr on your return :thumb2

Redboots
27-08-16, 12:29
...head westwards to France in a day's ride to Meisenthal, for one night.

I'll give you a wave on yer way past :)

leedude03
27-08-16, 12:31
I take it the track part that takes you through the Harz region is an alternate route, or maybe just part of a route that you have used to trace over and not deleted.
Peenemünde one of the places i would love to visit, along with many more you passing close to.

Wapping
27-08-16, 12:36
You are quite right about the track.

It goes up through the Harz but we didn't want to go all the way back up to Hamburg. Nothing against the Harz, of course. It just didn't fit this time around.

Neil W
27-08-16, 12:42
If you are going near Lubeck worth diverting north to Laboe to the Maritime memorial and U995.
When you go onto Ruegen over the bridge take a right and the road around the east coast around by Sellin takes you through some really interesting traditional hamlets and villages . Don't miss Prora and it is worth visiting Peenemunde whilst in the area
Really nice run down from Straslund via Neustrelitz and Ravensbruck , mainly through lakes and forests once you get past Neubrandenburg.
If you haven't done Berlin before remember most of the museums, bunkers etc apart from the Checkpoint Charlie are shut on a Monday.
If you are in Dresden woth while travelling a little bit east and take in Bastei Bridge

leedude03
27-08-16, 12:48
How long a trip, is it 21 nights? just asking as its something i may look at doing in the near future.

Wapping
27-08-16, 13:19
Thanks for the tips, Neil. I am totally unfamiliar with the north and eastern side of Germany on a bike, so doing the lap was a good way of seeing what's what.

We check-in for our first night in Berlin on Monday evening, having the Tuesday and Wednesday off.

I thought about U995 as a bit of an excursion and may yet do it. The only thing I hesitated about is that it'll be my friend's wife's first long jaunt on her bike since breaking her hip and having it replaced. I purposley dropped in some short days just to break it up. Hamburg up to Lubeck is no distance, so we'll see how things go. I'd like to look around Lubeck and have plans for a jaunt around the German peninsula another time.

Good tip about Bastei, that's something I completely missed. I think it might have to wait for another day. When doing a lap, it's really easy to get distracted and, with the days off, we were already up to 19 nights away. We have vague plans for the Czech and Slovak Republics at some point, so I'll be sure to cut it in then. Had it been me on my own, I'd have bashed about in all directions; this time it's a bit more of a holiday.

Sellin, we'll do. Prora, too.

Cheers,

Richard

PS Probably the next big one will be Italy. Right down from top to bottom, coming back via Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica..... Somewhwhat worryingly, I have mapped it out.

Wapping
27-08-16, 13:27
How long a trip, is it 21 nights? just asking as its something i may look at doing in the near future.

19 nights, I make it. You could do it in less, for sure and / or change the emphasis. For example, we have two full days in Berlin and two full days in the German Alps near Garmisch. We also have the full day in Dresden. Equally, there are loads of small roads up near the Baltic coast and all the other little islands, of which we'll only see some. Lapping countries is fun, as everyday is different to the last.... And we are missing the Harz!

AndyB_11
27-08-16, 15:09
Have fun, it sounds like a great trip. I think I've come close to doing a lap of Germany if I added all the bits together but never in one trip so I might file the idea away for future use.

I rode north along the German - Czech Rep. border on my summer jolly this year taking my time using smaller roads and it was great fun. Very reminiscent of the Black Forest but with a lot less traffic so if you're making good time as you head for Passau it's worth a look.

Neil W
27-08-16, 15:41
When you get to Prora go into the main car park ,but do not park the bike there, you can ride around to the left and onto the landward side access road and ride the full east side of the complex and park outside the museum or the cafes

leedude03
27-08-16, 15:54
Richard if you have time i can highly recomend Terazin for a visit, google it. your route at its closest is 36 mile away, i know its not possible to do it all due to time constaints, but if you are into that type of thing its well worth a visit.

paul08
27-08-16, 17:51
Richard. That sounds like a fantastic trip. Have fun, and ride safely

Wapping
27-08-16, 18:22
Thanks everyone and thanks for the tips.

I have started a Czech file, so they'll come in handy when the time comes.

andrewgsadv
27-08-16, 21:19
Richard hotel Trix in Arnhem is good, excellent food and service , sizeable rooms with aircon, just stayed there Thursday night.:beerjug:

hatzyian
28-08-16, 07:40
Between Berlin and Dresden is Meissen, lovely place, but for God's sake, keep out of the china/glass shops. The museum is worth a tour.

Kev B
28-08-16, 10:16
Have a great jaunt Richard.:beerjug:

Pablo1
31-08-16, 17:21
Thanks for sharing this, looking for ideas for next year so do be sure to follow up with a ride report and have a great trip:thumb:thumb

Wapping
07-09-16, 22:31
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160907/97aff6140140702308784955eb35d31e.jpg

The basic essentials are lined up

Wapping
10-09-16, 11:56
If anyone is thinking of doing this loop, ADAC do a bundle of maps at 1:200,000 scale which are good.

I bought a full set in Germany in 2011 for EUR 15, on which I have just spent several happy hours highlighting all the roads we'll take. A worthwhile exercise as it would be helpful to know where I am in relation to everything and everywhere else.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/517n3YBaXRL._SX292_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I dropped into the excellent Stanford's map shop in Covent Garden, where I picked up two plasticised large scale ADAC maps of Germany. Good enough to get me somewhere if it's peeing down or blowing a gale.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51G%2B2ofShDL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51mHdefOrLL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

leedude03
10-09-16, 12:06
Enjoy your trip Richard.

Neil W
10-09-16, 14:16
I have similar sets of maps from Louis , ome set covers the Southern Germany and Austria, the other set covers North and East Germany. They are
1:250,000 reasonably well detailed and being plastic waterproof and carry a load of information.

www.powerkarte.de

paul08
12-09-16, 21:23
I have similar sets of maps from Louis , ome set covers the Southern Germany and Austria, the other set covers North and East Germany. They are
1:250,000 reasonably well detailed and being plastic waterproof and carry a load of information.

www.powerkarte.de

Those are the ones I have. Highly recommended

Wapping
23-09-16, 06:47
The routes so far, from Calais (basically motorway) to Lubeck, then on the national and smaller roads from Lubeck, to Stralsund and Rugland island, to Berlin and now into Dresden have worked fine all the way with no obvious significant glitches.

The ADAC mapset has proved its good value at about EUR 15. It was certainly worthwhile marking out all the routes in dayglo highlighter before I left. Having a 'traditional' paper list of the main towns and roads on my tankbag also came in handy, making it reasonably easy to see where we were at any one time.

Similarly, my Nav V GPS has behaved itself with distinction, proving invaluable navigating right into the middle of Berlin in the early rush hour with no problems.

Fingers crossed for the next nine days.

Packer
23-09-16, 10:26
Looks like a great trip, I hope you enjoy it and that the lady's hip doesn't cause issues.

Ref. the original post it makes me shudder as I didn't realise that the Nazi's intended to destroy the rest of the British Isles. :)

Wapping
24-09-16, 17:02
Ha, ha!

After a good day-off in Dresden, it was back on the bikes today. The scenery, having not seen a hill or bend of any real note since leaving London 11 nights ago, changes completely and very quickly when you leave Dresden, heading south south west, becoming a mix between the Ardennes, Black Forest and even the low Alps valleys. In a word, excellent.

Wapping
25-09-16, 15:56
Now in Passau, after another day's great riding. Touch wood, the routes have not let us down so far.

leedude03
25-09-16, 16:37
Enjoy Richard, i bet that crap garmin unit and the shit software that they supply with it has caused you major trauma.:beerjug::D

Wapping
27-09-16, 05:00
It has been truly dreadful (not). Yesterday, there was a routing error (the first) which - on proper examination - was mine! I'll correct it when I create a final version.

Now some 1,700 miles since leaving home and having travelled the bulk of these on German roads of all shapes and sizes, from motorways through to very small country roads, the Garmin based maps have been more than capable, with just one 'No entry street' being incorrectly marked, which was not until we got here to our hotel in Mittenwald yesterday at around 17:30. To be fair to Garmin, the street appears to be 'No entry' only during the day, when it's pedestrianised. After dark, it's a conventional one way street.

Other than that:

1.My Nav V lost its signal processing ability temporarily, showing me running some distance from and parallel to the road I was actually on; which was no big deal.

2. The only thing that has sometimes not worked quite right is the device's displaying of 'Off route' when riding through some large German interchanges or on long slip roads. This is odd as the vehicle cursor was - each time - plainly on the correct magenta line.

leedude03
27-09-16, 08:30
Quote ( The only thing that has sometimes not worked quite right is the device's displaying of 'Off route' when riding through some large German interchanges or on long slip roads. This is odd as the vehicle cursor was - each time - plainly on the correct magenta line. ) i had that a couple of times in Poland, only i was on a motorway and the screen was showing me in the middle of a field for a time.

The Grey One
27-09-16, 08:51
Quote ( The only thing that has sometimes not worked quite right is the device's displaying of 'Off route' when riding through some large German interchanges or on long slip roads. This is odd as the vehicle cursor was - each time - plainly on the correct magenta line. ) i had that a couple of times in Poland, only i was on a motorway and the screen was showing me in the middle of a field for a time.

Most likely answer is that the maps are not accurate. Assuming you had good satellite reception the device will place you reasonably accurately. If the road is shown in the wrong place on the map then he device will show you riding through a field. If the discrepancy is small the device will assume you are on the drawn road but if the discrepancy is too great it will show your actual position which then does not match the map.

I have come across the interchange problem too. German interchanges can be quite complicated and so any inaccuracies in the map can lead to confusion and the device trying to recalculate because it thinks you have taken the wrong turning. Best advice is to note which road you are supposed to take and follow the signs, if the layout was not accurately shown on the map the device will catch up with things after the junction.

As has been said many time before there is no such thing as a perfect SatNav A little knowledge of how they work, experience in use and a big dose of common sense will get you through.

John

Wapping
30-09-16, 06:03
I am now not entirely sure that it's down to the map's accuracy. As far as I can see the rendering of the maps is pretty good, minor roads and large.

I get the feeling it is much closer related to the GPS signal the device is receiving and the way that signal is then processed. Why?

I can sometimes deliberately ride some distance off my pre-planned route, off the main road and into a town in search of a coffee. The device will sometimes faithfully show the cursor moving from the magenta line of the main road, into the much smaller streets of the town, all displayed accurately. Sometimes it can be some distance before the screen flashes up an off route warning, asking me if I wish to recalculate.

Similarly, when due to a poor signal, my device showed me driving through houses in a town - when of course I was riding along the magenta road - I received no off route warning at all.

At the major interchange junctions, I was most definitely 'on route', the cursor running faithfully along the slip road or around the long bend of the exit. The device's sudden flash up of 'off route' would seem perhaps to be closer related to the precise quality of the signal, rather than the separate function of displaying a vehicle's position on a map. Maybe the device thought - just for a moment - I was on the road beneath the flyover?

Similarly, if the slip road is drawn correctly but (as in some cases) say 600 meters long and the device's pre-planned route assumed the rider would exit at the the 300 meter marker, then indeed - given a good GPS signal - then you'd be 'off route' by up to 300 meters, if only for a fraction of a second. The device, just prior to the 'off route' message flashing up, would have correctly shown the vehicle cursor moving along the long slip road.

Either way, it matters little. I am glad I knew (near enough) where I wanted to be heading to and that I had my device set to recalculate only if I asked it to do so; the 'off route' message being a device generated mistake.

The Grey One
30-09-16, 07:11

Either way, it matters little. I am glad I knew (near enough) where I wanted to be heading to and that I had my device set to recalculate only if I asked it to do so; the 'off route' message being a device generated mistake.

In that situation I would follow the signs and the device would, being set to auto recalculate, take me on to the via point I would have placed just after the junction to ensure it chose the correct road. If you know how the device works then your routes can be made to work properly with or without auto recalculate. It's down to personal preference rather than there being a right or wrong way.

John

Wapping
03-10-16, 17:09
2750 miles door-to-door completed.

By one small route error (mine) and a significant routing error (Garmin's) that was safely ignored, everything worked out just fine. I'll tidy things up and post up the final version in a fresh thread sometime.

leedude03
03-10-16, 17:15
hope you had a wonderful trip.

Wapping
03-10-16, 18:07
hope you had a wonderful trip.

It was excellent, thank you.

For the first time in my life I think that (other than to get a good overall look at where I was in relation to places and / or get a good look overview of the day's ride) I could easily have just gone with the routes on my Nav V and nothing else. Other than the one time I asked it to make a recalculation, just to see what it would do, the Nav V's BaseCamp routes and the device's overall minute-by-minute performance could not be faulted. Its one and only routing error in the pre-prepared routes was one I made, not the device itself. This and the recalculation error were both easily overcome on the move, so I can't complain.

In all it was finally 21 nights away, with two full days off the bike in Berlin and Garmische, a full day off in Dresden, a nearly full day off in Lubeck, a full afternoon in Arnhem and no hotel arrival on any day later than 18:00. We also had a full day (on our bikes) going around Rugland Island, in the Baltic. Of course it would be easy to cut the time away down, which is what I would ordinarily have done. But, that was not the purpose of the trip, not least as we were not entirely sure how well my friend's wife's new hip would stand the jaunt on her CBR 650F Honda *. As it was, all was well. Indeed, it was better than well.

Similarly, I - had I given it a bit more thought - wish now that we had completed the full circle back to Hamburg. It was never our intention to do so; the only reason we didn't was the dullish ride back to Calais from there and half an eye the possible hip issue. It would certainly suit anyone who crosses into Holland via the Hook, that's for sure.

I'll do it again some time, I hope and do the full circle; it really was that good and very different from the many European trips I've done before. The weather, which was fantastic for all bar one day right at the end in France (and even that was OK) certainly helped. But.... I think Italy (top to toe) Sicily and Sardinia might be calling me next.....Probably around the same time of year.

For once in my life I had a look at the data, worthwhile only as it was a longish time away, doing something different. Average speed 41 MPH, average fuel consumption 49.1 MPG, maximum speed 113 MPH, all according to the Garmin trip log thing screen. Not too shabby, I guess but it wasn't a dash, that's for sure, nor was it ever meant to be. Those figures were for my 1600 GT. My friend's Triumph Adventure averaged 49.3 MPG, no significant difference between them on that score. No idea about the little Honda.

* Proof, if any were needed, that you can do it on any bike, even one with a chain, 17.5 litre tank and no screen to speak of. She's 67, too. So nobody tell me that only a GS with 32 litres of fuel and 100 litres of panniers is the minimum required.

leedude03
03-10-16, 18:37
A decent enough average speed and mpg, did you get to visit peenemunde, its a place i would like to go.

we are off to visit Pompei and Herculaneum, and Rome, we will be going via corsica sardinia and sicily, and then riding back up through the dolomites and austria all being well.

Wapping
04-10-16, 06:34
We didn't take in the rocket site nor the submarine.

We arrived in Lubeck city center (stayed in a B&B hotel near the bus station, not far - 10 minutes walk - from the 'Old Town') around 11 AM. Got changed, wandered into town, sorted out the life and well being of a distressed young lad who had got lost, had lunch and then took one of the river busses that takes in all the sites.

I'd be interested to see your routes and hear how your Italian jaunt goes. I have ridden to the Dolomites several times and Corsica once. Other than the Italian lakes (twice) and Ancona (once) I haven't done much else. I have been collecting up lots of ideas for Italy and its two islands, but haven't yet sat down to put any plans together.

I plan on doing a trip report on the German jaunt. The circular route around Germany (Lubeck to Hamburg) I ripped out from the Louis.de site. From memory, it came as a track which I then traced over / amended to suit our needs. I remember spotting a couple of places on their track where they had obviously gone wrong and doubled back to correct their errors. The day's ride around Rugland island, I think I got from another website, possibly the Kurvenkoenig site? Again, it probably came as a track, which I then adopted / adapted for my own purposes.

Both the lap of Germany from Louis.de and the lap of Rugland (from wherever it came from) proved to be excellent; both making good use of sensible but cleverly done ways to get from A to E via all the letters inbetween. I would recommend them to anyone.

leedude03
04-10-16, 07:04
As you say, some of these routes that are picked up from variouse sources are indeed very good, i used a couple from Adac when we were in the Harz region, both were excelent, there are bound to be those who will say its taking the fun out of making your own way, but i am of the opinion that local knowledge is king, and if you can find a route that is part way there to the way you are going, then why not use it.
Look forward to the RR and hopefully pictures.:beerjug::beerjug:

Wapping
04-10-16, 07:44
The ADAC routes are very good, for sure.

I see absolutely nothing wrong in trying / using third party routes that have been well thought out and are well presented. Yes, you sometimes have to do some work (and use a bit of imagination) to alter some of the routes to get them into a shape or format that suits your own purposes but that is a part of the fun.

There are some great websites out there, found as easily as just Googling something as simple as 'Great motorcycling roads in Switzerlsnd' or something similar; it is usually less words to type than the posts that appear on this site asking for the same. It is how I tripped over the Kurvenkoenig site, for example. It's all in German (I don't speak one word) but safe in the knowledge that you probably can't break it I spent 10 minutes guessing that in order to access some of the routes and the full files, you have to join their forum which is free. So I did and all their lots of very good PDF and GPX files became available for me to use.

Similarly, lots of hotels share their routes, sometimes in great detail but sometimes just a very basic map, which you then have to use your own (or Google's) maps to work out quite where the suggestion takes you. Once you have paid your service provider, the Internet is free, so you might as well use it, I always think.

Neil W
04-10-16, 16:21
If you fancy Peenemunde , they have massive lockers to store all your bike kit , but if I go back again I would stay locally so as not to be loaded down with bike gear .
The museum takes up a morning then it would be worth while doing a bit of hiking around the local woods and have a look at the rest of the site ,same with Prora and the Maritime memorial and U995 at laboe both of which were a pain with bike kit on

A decent enough average speed and mpg, did you get to visit peenemunde, its a place i would like to go.

we are off to visit Pompei and Herculaneum, and Rome, we will be going via corsica sardinia and sicily, and then riding back up through the dolomites and austria all being well.

Wapping
04-10-16, 17:54
I'd like to do some more exploring of the Baltic coast and indeed much more of the former East Germany than this trip allowed. Neil W flagged up the site earlier, so it's on my list.

ebbo
04-10-16, 18:32
Le Cheval Rouge, Ste Menehould, there's a good boulangerie just over the road from the hotel if you don't fancy the horse meat burger, my missus wouldn't let me try one :rolleyes:

Enjoy the ride :thumb

Pablo1
12-12-16, 12:39
I'm looking at a version of this route for 2017, don't have much more than 10 days and planning on the Newcastle Ijmuiden crossing, plan to cut out the southern half of the loop as I'm sure in previous years I've ridden most if not all the roads on that stretch, Wapping I'd appreciate some feedback on the roads you covered from Lubeck onwards please, also at most we could afford perhaps 1 day off the bikes so where would be your recommendation ?
Thanks, route looks like this

Wapping
12-12-16, 13:17
Louis.de's circular route is designed to make it possible to lap the outside of Germany in x number of days (ten I think, with breaks somewhere) but they start in Stralsund and finish in Hamburg, so the Hamburg to Stralsund stretch is missing. We took 21 nights, starting and finishing at home in London, via Calais in both directions. We took 21 nights because we could, not because we had to. That meant we could have time off in several places: Arnhem, half a day, Lubeck one day, Rugen island (if you count riding around the island as a day off the route). Berlin two days, Dresden one day, Mittenwald two days. We also came back without rushing, taking three days to do what you could do in two or even one. In short, we had a holiday. If you take away the 7.5 days we took off the bike, that reduces it to 13.5 days. Subtract that we did the Lubeck to Stralsund link, leaves 12.5 days, then subtract that we came and returned via Calais (and I assume Louise.de took some period of time to get to Stralsund and / or back from Hamburg, the times are not so very much different. That being said, we did not go right back to Hamburg; I wish now that we did. Either way, the Louis.de route is sensible.

Any very long route, especially one designed to complete a circle in a comparatively small number of days, will have compromises in it. But, to answer your question I hope, there was no single stretch of road that spoilt the whole trip. If I was forced to reluctantly pick one, it was the Monday morning (pre-lunch) ride south from Stralsund towards Berlin. It is very busy on a weekday, but I guess might well be empty(ish) on a weekend. The reason? It is, other than the motorway or very small roads, the only main road south, close to the the Polish border. I guess it was two to three hours. You can make progress down it but with two other bikes with me, inevitably we got slowed up. If nothing else you get to practice your overtaking skills.

Overall the Louise.de route was good though. Sometimes it took some odd turns, jinking about the countryside for no immediately obvious reason. After a while I realised it was linking cleverly some great roads up. It was so good that I wrote to the owners of Louise to thank them for their efforts.

The route from Lubeck to Stralsund and around Rugen island I lifted from other websites and sources.

If I was to have one day off? I guess it would have to be Berlin. We had two days off, seeing a lot but missing out a lot, too. On the first day we walked everywhere, following the suggested walking route in the Michelin Green Guide to Germany. The second day we spent all day in the zoo and aquarium. All excellent.

Failing that, Dresden. We stayed on the outskirts of the city, taking the excellent tram in to the central railway station. From there, it's just a short walk into the 'Old town'. Again, we used the Michelin Green to Germany. It has just enough information to be interesting but not so much that you swim in the stuff.

PS A lot of the roads taken are not on the maps. The most useful (and cheapest) maps I found before I left were these. I had picked up a set in Germany several years before, which were fine. I spent a happy hour or two in Stanfords checking the alternatives out. This cheapest mapset, really was the best for me. That being said, maps and the style of maps are very personal things, so have a look what suits you best.

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Germany-ADAC-Road-Map-Set_9783826460463

I spent a happy hour or so highlighting the routes on the maps. Time well spent as it's sometimes easy to get disoriented as to quite where you are, how far you've come and how far you have got to go. Recommended, for sure.

Pablo1
12-12-16, 16:11
Thanks for that, much obliged:thumb2

Neil W
12-12-16, 18:19
We did the Northern part of that route in june , except we ran back from Berlin via Magdeburg and Wolfsburg .
I would say if you want a day off the bike and haven't been to Berln before it is worthwhile just for the history in the city centre area

I'm looking at a version of this route for 2017, don't have much more than 10 days and planning on the Newcastle Ijmuiden crossing, plan to cut out the southern half of the loop as I'm sure in previous years I've ridden most if not all the roads on that stretch, Wapping I'd appreciate some feedback on the roads you covered from Lubeck onwards please, also at most we could afford perhaps 1 day off the bikes so where would be your recommendation ?
Thanks, route looks like this

Pablo1
13-12-16, 18:26
We did the Northern part of that route in june , except we ran back from Berlin via Magdeburg and Wolfsburg .
I would say if you want a day off the bike and haven't been to Berln before it is worthwhile just for the history in the city centre area
Thanks Neil, you mentioned a nice run down from Straslund to Berlin, any more detail please, couldnt find Ravenbruck (probably a spelling issue).

Neil W
13-12-16, 18:53
We came off Ruegen and went down to Peenemunde, we stopped a night at Anklam and then went from their via Breest,Burow, Altentreptow taking the minor roads towards Neubrandenburg. we then went via Tollensesee, Neustrelitz towards Fuerstenberg/Havel, Ravensbrueck is just outside the village , we then continued south via Stolpsee and the Naturpark Uckermaerkische Seen towards Loewenberger , Oranienburg and into Berlin.

The roads and lake areas south of Fuerstenburg/Havel contained some brilliant but not fast roads with some really interesting olde worlde buildings and villages.

Don't get too tied up with sticking to planned routes , we just decided where we were heading towards at the end of the day and had a hoot getting there ( and getting lost on the way)