Nav V continual restarts, duplicated tracks, lost tracks, bogus French traffic alerts

motorbaker

Reaction score
Can anyone help with the following issues?

1. I've just got back from a 5,000m ride to Greece to find that half of my tracks have vanished. Yes I've looked in the Archive folder and checked all the gpx files in there, but several days of riding are completely missing from the beginning of the trip.

2. Of the tracks that remain, most of them are duplicated, so I get "Active Log: 2016-08-28 18:32" and "Active Log: 2016-08-28 18:32 001" in the same folder. Comparing them, they are sometimes but not always identical, with one sometimes containing a smaller portion of the same track. Also, after a certain point the same track saves itself with times one hour apart, so "Active Log: 2016-08-28 18:32" and "Active Log: 2016-08-28 19:32" will be identical.

3. Could either or both of these issues be connected with the fact that, not always but with increasing regularity during the trip when I switch the bike ignition on the Nav V wakes up immediately, then after a minute or 2, usually when I'm on the move, it goes blank and does a full restart after a few seconds?

4. I have traffic alerts enabled, with great results except in France, where it seems to store every accident and delay for the last several years, so even in small country roads I'm getting "41 minute delay" messages which of course prove unfounded. Only in France! Any way to get rid of this?

All these issues are quite frustrating for what is an expensive piece of kit. I've got the latest software and the latest maps installed.

I'm going to try a full reset and install everything again, which will hopefully clear the issues, but if anyone out there has experience of these issues and can pinpoint the cause I'd be most grateful. Thanks!

Item 3, I experienced continually over the last few days riding around northern France. Brand new nav V last week, updated to latest firmware and maps last week before the trip. Dealer is having it back tomorrow as I stopped counting after 20 crashes/restarts in 5 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect that your start / restart problems are the source of your track recording problems. Track records are never perfect, not least as they rely fully on a continuous and very good GPS signal. You can often see this if you look at track files shared from third parties, where straight lines and /or chunks missing show when the device lost its signal reception.

As to why your early days' track logs have vanished? I can only guess:

1. The track log option / capability was maybe not activated, for some reason or another

2. The device might maybe be only able to hold a specific number of historic records. So, in order to create space the records are first archived and then deleted in date order, so as to create space for later tracks.

As to France? Turn off the alerts when in France, is my only suggestion.

I have always found that the track log has limited capacity and therefore loses older tracks. I take a small notepad device with me and download tracks as I go. Not much help to the OP I know but might be useful for future trips.

As I have my maps and Mapsource on that device I can also use it to plan routes or make modifications to previously planned routes during my trip. It is worth pointing out that such planning can be done anywhere as it is not dependent on on an internet connection.

John

A little info on the Nav5 and track logs, it may help to shed a little light on one of the issues.

Tracks:

The NAV5 handles Tracks very well for a Garmin On The Road device. You can Import up to 200 Tracks to the Tracks App and each of those tracks can have up to 15,000 points. You can have up to 15 of your tracks showing on the Map concurrently which puts the NAV5 in the same league as many of the newer On The Trail handhelds for showing total Track Points on the Map. If you want to navigate a track you can do so in two ways. You could just enable the Track settings to "Show on Map" and then following the track path on the map. Or, you could go one much better and use the "Convert to Trip" option. Start by selecting the Track and then select the "wrench" icon on the overview page. One of the Edit options is Convert to Trip. This is an excellent feature for those of us that travel on roads or trails that may not be on the map. Converting the Track will create a new Trip (route) of the same name in the Trip Planner that is usually a complete representation of the original Track. When I do this I always set the original Track to "Show on Map" and set the color to Black. Now when I want to navigate the Track I go to the Trip Planner and select my "converted-track" and press GO. What you'll see on the Map page is the magenta route path of your Trip with a black line in the middle that is the original Track; it's just in case the NAV5 doesn't quite get the conversion correct. This same Track to Trip conversion software was first developed for the zumo™ 660 so it's been in play for several years now

All Garmin GPS receivers have a Track (Trip) Log that records your every movement should you have the Log enabled: Settings->Device->Travel History - Check. With Travel History enabled you also enable the TracBack and Where I've Been Apps (see below). You also have the option of showing your Trip Log on the Map as you travel (it's that Cyan line trailing behind you) via the Map Layers function: not showing the Trip Log on the Map is not the same as disabling Travel History. The Trip Log manages the Tracks you lay down as you travel in "segments" before it bundles them up into an Archive file. The NAV5 can save 20 Archive files and each file will contain 10,000 track points irregardless of the number of segments: that's a lot of travel. The active track segments can be found inside the Active tab of the Tracks App. As you travel, your completed routes are saved as a Track Log segment. Stops of over and hour in a Trip will generate a Track Log segment. These segments can be found in the Active tab and are also viewable with the Where I've Been App.

reading through this i get the impression it would be better at the end of each travelled section to save the track as a route, for future reference. You have a limited number of points it can save and a limited number of archive files, but it appears the nav5 can save 200 trips/routes, as described below.

I imported 200 Trips created in BaseCamp and the NAV5 indicated that all were imported. Looking at the Trip Planner list of Trips only shows the first 100 (sorted alphabetically). If you delete that first 100, the Trip Planner will then show you the second 100. So, if you have a need to load that many Trips, make sure you name them appropriately and split up your routes putting 100 on Internal Storage and 100 on the SD Card.

Back
Top Bottom