insurance robbery

Katnip

Reaction score
:mad: I sold my bike recently which had insurance running to end of October. I had heard somewhere that if you leave it valid and the new owner has a claim you can in some way get involved.
So I rang Devitt today, I have the Motorrad cover, and she said that's fine but you need to pay a £50 cancellation fee. What the fulk?
She said it's in the agreement somewhere and I would have been advised on the phone at the time of purchase. Well, I can't remember that and I'm not ploughing through the paperwork just to prove a point.
The fact is that I am giving them two months where they don't have to cover the bike and they want to charge me £50! She said somthing about if there is a claim I could get involved but I said NO leave it to run out, I'll take the chance.
I think that is a rip off!

:mad: I sold my bike recently which had insurance running to end of October. I had heard somewhere that if you leave it valid and the new owner has a claim you can in some way get involved.
So I rang Devitt today, I have the Motorrad cover, and she said that's fine but you need to pay a £50 cancellation fee. What the fulk?
She said it's in the agreement somewhere and I would have been advised on the phone at the time of purchase. Well, I can't remember that and I'm not ploughing through the paperwork just to prove a point.
The fact is that I am giving them two months where they don't have to cover the bike and they want to charge me £50! She said somthing about if there is a claim I could get involved but I said NO leave it to run out, I'll take the chance.
I think that is a rip off!

I've had exactly the same and if you don't pay it you will be refused insurance. Which means you need to disclose you were refused insurance.

I called for good housekeeping not for a refund. They save risk and make more money, but wanted the admin fee.

That'll be under "Cost of Amendments" to your policy.
I doubt you'd have to plough very far through the paperwork to find it as it tends to be very prominent .

Just had the renewal through for my multi bike policy and on the list of bikes covered is my Honda CB250RS, which i sold last January. I forgot to tell them. Damn, all those sleepless nights i've missed worrying over nothing.

It's quite likely that you don't remember. I too struggle to remember things I don't want to. I also struggle with listening to and then committing to memory stuff that I find boring when some bint or bod bangs on down the phone. All I want to do is get out, mount my awesome steed and feel alive.

I could not support you inaction enough. I too would not spend time, now several months later, reading through blurb (if indeed I had even kept it) just to prove the point to myself that the provision to make charges is there. It would be too upsetting.

It's quite likely that you don't remember. I too struggle to remember things I don't want to and / or listening to and then committing to memory stuff that I find boring when some bint or bod bangs on down the phone. All I want us to get out, mount my awesome steed and feel alive.

I could not support you inaction enough. I too would not spend time, now several months later, reading through blurb (if indeed I had even kept it) just to prove the point to myself that the provision to make charges is there. It would be too upsetting.

I blame the chimps :rob :D

I had the same when I cancelled a policy but the refund on the remianing policy cancelled aout any amendment fee... they're robbing bastards!

Insurance

:confused: Well thanks for your comments and they are fair. I probably did the wrong thing and looked up the possible repercussions of not cancelling and hey ho some nasty situations have indeed happened when things have gone tits up.
I thought about it and decided to cancel it in the end, just in case!
But £50 for pressing a few buttons seems excessive but the potential risk of not doing it would have worried me a bit.:thumb

:confused: Well thanks for your comments and they are fair. I probably did the wrong thing and looked up the possible repercussions of not cancelling and hey ho some nasty situations have indeed happened when things have gone tits up.
I thought about it and decided to cancel it in the end, just in case!
But £50 for pressing a few buttons seems excessive but the potential risk of not doing it would have worried me a bit.:thumb

These things are discretionary and if you are up for renewal you could remind them this is a consideration.

Back
Top Bottom