Lowering an 02, F650GS ?

Bikergary

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2002 F650GS for the wife, but I need to lower it, she can just get both her toes down.

So far I'm thinking of the Kouba Link to lower the rear by an inch, dop the front forks a little and a Lower seat. does this sound like the best option for those who may have done this?

What options are there for lower seats that don't cost a fortune?

Would be greatful for any advice.
Cheers

Bikergary,
Have you slackened off the rear suspension spring to its softest setting? That could make all the difference.

If the two of you fancy a meet, I'll up at BMW North Oxford 11.00 - 2.30pm getting my bike ready for our little trip.
PB

We have just paid for it, don't actually pick it up till next week, but I'm pretty sure it's wound off quite a bit, but I'm looking for options now so I can get her on it as soon as it arrives.

Doubt I'll get up there today, but that would be good to meet up, maybe you can pop round on your travels and give me the once over on these bikes, i would be greatful.

I'll pm you with my mobile. :)

Check which seat it has on it.

There are plenty of standard GS riders who opted for the higher (Dakar) seat or changed to one later (better knee room).

You should be able to swap a higher for a lower seat on these or Trevors 650 forums.

Inside leg, just under 29 inches.

Maybe I'll look at getting the original seat cut down and made narrower. initially we were thinking of keeping the standard as a lower one maybe too low for me, but sounds like it's easier to get hold of a second hand standard seat than a lower seat

Hi Gary

I ride an F650 GS and am 5'2 with an inside leg of 29". Though I could manage the bike okay without having it lowered, I found the low seat made the distance from "bum to peg" very uncomfy on the knees. I fitted the 1" koubalinks (great company to deal with by the way) and dropped the forks 1" as well. Now have no problems reaching the ground, in fact have bought a Komfi seat which is higher than the stock seat and much comfier (no pun intended!!) and can still easily reach the ground. Pondboy is right about the suspension, that makes a big difference as well, I ride with it on the softest setting, just winding it up when I put the luggage on. The only negative about the koubalinks is that you really need to shorten both stands, and spirited cornering means you can ground the centre stand - lots of sparks!!

Kate.

The standard seat has a quite a sculpted cutaway like this.
Delivery.jpg

If the difference between the rider part and the pillion is less pronounced, its a high seat.

If it is a high seat, I'll swap you my standard seat for it.
PB

650 Seats

Ok guys which seat is this??

Standard 650GS (no...... not standard Dakar seat, cos that's what I've fitted now)

OR 650GS............lowered seat

Attachments

• dakar 650 - right side_web.jpg
    dakar 650 - right side_web.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 353
There's only two seats made by BMW for the F650GS range. "High" and "Low". The "High" is generally fitted to the Dakar at point-of-sale (not always, it's customer choice). The low is generally fitted to the F650GS (again customer choice).

It's the "Low" seat on Pondboy's F650GS. It's also the "Low" seat on Johhnnyboxer's Dakar. The pronounced step between rider and pillion gives it away.

The "High" (Dakar seat if you like) has a much flatter profile between rider and pillion and has got "chunkiness" in the rider position.

Extra low seats are made by Touratech or Wunderlich, but not by BMW.

Cheers, Trevor, Bristol, UK. F650 website for UK and Ireland owners

hi Gary,is this is getting a bit confusing?
you have replies on trevors site as well as here.

You reckon you have the standard F650 bmw seat on your F650gs ,Not the Dakar higher seat?that is as lowest that bmwsupply for the F650GS.

Lower versions of the Standard BMW seats are made by wunderlich.
I recently bought a lower touratech seat but found out it is lower than the dakar seat Not the standard F650gs
so i wonder if the descriptions are referring to the dakar 650?

:confused:

OK, I think I am going to wait until the bike is here, so I can take another look... but thanks for all the advise.
Must admit i am thinking of just doing the seat and not the lowering kit first to see how it goes.

Ok, my inside leg is about 30", maybe 29" and I ride a Dakar. This had the lower bmw seat fitted and the suspension was standard. I rode it like this for a few months but decided I might be happier with it lowered so I fitted the 2" Koubalinks and found it much easier to handle. I also dropped the forks about half an inch as well. I can't get my feet flat on the floor but traffic holds no fears for me now. She should manage alright on a standard GS with the lower seat.

I've seen an advert in TBM magazine:

XRSTUFF are now offering 25mm or 75mm lowering links for the GS/Dakar (also the CS ? ?)

07732 944110 www.xrstuff.co.uk sales@xrstuff.co.uk

(This is not a personal recommendation)

Problem sorted now, with the help of a visit by pondboy, what i thought was a low seat wasn't,
So to help Pondboy on his long trip and help my Misses reach the floor, we swapped seats, he had the lower one we had what I guess is the "Dakar" seat. So thanks for all your help.
Now she can't stop grining

Glad she is sorted.
you have answered your own thread
"What options are there for lower seats that don't cost a fortune?"
Swap a bmw high seat for a low one.for free:D

K8H said:
Hi Gary

I ride an F650 GS and am 5'2 with an inside leg of 29". Though I could manage the bike okay without having it lowered, I found the low seat made the distance from "bum to peg" very uncomfy on the knees. I fitted the 1" koubalinks (great company to deal with by the way) and dropped the forks 1" as well. Now have no problems reaching the ground, in fact have bought a Komfi seat which is higher than the stock seat and much comfier (no pun intended!!) and can still easily reach the ground. Pondboy is right about the suspension, that makes a big difference as well, I ride with it on the softest setting, just winding it up when I put the luggage on. The only negative about the koubalinks is that you really need to shorten both stands, and spirited cornering means you can ground the centre stand - lots of sparks!!

Kate.

Kate...could you possibly send me details about the koubalinks?...Thanx very much...Jaq

Back
Top Bottom