Stop'n'go tyre pluggers

pauldignan

Anyone had experience with this product? Are they primarily an emergency fix or can they be trusted as a permenant repair?

Do you mean the gun type device that squeezes a mushroom shaped plug into the hole?

If so, it doesn't use any vulcanising solution on the plug, and must rely on air pressure to keep it in place I guess. Definitely only a temporary repair, and I think it says so on their website.

Used my tyre plugger as a permanent solution - so long as the hole is small enough.

4641375-M.jpg

You'll find that trying to plug a hole which is bigger than the plugs are designed to fix will result in the plug gradually pushing back into the tyre (especially if you ride on gravel), which will result in a slow release in pressure.

For a small hole, I'd consider it a permanent fix.

Mike:)

Mouse said:

If so, it doesn't use any vulcanising solution on the plug, and must rely on air pressure to keep it in place I guess. Definitely only a temporary repair, and I think it says so on their website.

The plugs are unable to come out due to their mushroom shaped head on the inside. They form an effective seal due to the degree of 'interfereance fit'. I use them as a permanent repair with no problems on GS, car, ride on mower. but as Mike says, they work best on small holes.

Tim

Thanks guys. I've just had a bank holiday ride out with the wife blown out of the water because I was too conciensious and looked over the tyres last night and pulled out a 1 1/2" nail. It set me thinking , what if we were stuck in the middle of no where, so need some sort of puncture repair. The pluggers look like a good option. Cheers.

pauldignan said:
Thanks guys. I've just had a bank holiday ride out with the wife blown out of the water because I was too conciensious and looked over the tyres last night and pulled out a 1 1/2" nail. It set me thinking , what if we were stuck in the middle of no where, so need some sort of puncture repair. The pluggers look like a good option. Cheers.

Rule 1 - if it's still inflated - leave the nail in - at least until you can get somewhere to fix it.

I rode the first leg of my US journey (Miami to Daytona) with a nail in the rear tyre - got there fine and then fixed it.

Just get into the mind set that you could've picked up the nail just after you'd set off - then you'd not know about it until you stopped (but beware of any signs of losing pressure, of course...;)).

Mike:)

Back
Top Bottom