Regular or Adventure GS v Varadero

Richard34

Hey all - I'm completely new to the Beemers and have arranged a test ride from Park Lane BMW (only an hour mind, which isn't really enough especially in Central London!!) Anyway, I thought I'd go for the standard GS until I had a quick look at the Adventure version which they had in the basement, I really liked the look of it. Why is it that all the trade press reviews give the adventure 3 stars as opposed to 5 for the standard - if it's basically the same with some extras bolted on?
Also anyone experienced the Honda Varadero - cheaper and readily available and my only other possibility.

Hi Richard

I'm also new to BM's and I too was unsure about what to go for having come from Japanese Sportbikes.

However I now have an Adventure on order (March 1st) after a test ride. I can only guess that the reason for the lower star rating compared to the standard bike is that the Adventure is more expensive, taller and therefore perceivably not as good value than the regular model (which less face it will do everything that the adventure will do).

When I first started looking for what is known as a "big Trial bike" I was drawn to the obvious choices (Tiger, Varedero, V-Strom etc.) but one bike stood out as the only bike really capable of going off road and that was the BMW R1150GS. If you look at people who have crossed continents on their bikes, 9 times out of 10 it will be on a BMW GS.

The rest have chain drive, road bike frames and really are just tarted up road bikes (not to say that they aren't good bikes, they are). There is also the reality of massive depreciation. I looked at loads of S/H GS's and the fact that they seem to hold their value made me look to a new bike, but confirmed that this was THE bike to have. I can imagine that the adventure will make back the same money after 12 months and that is unthinkable on a japanese bike. I also wanted a bike to keep long term and the fact that BMW's evolve slowly made a lot of sense (then I hear about Twin spark and the possibility of water cooling!!). That said mine will be twin spark and I wonder if this will make any difference.

Still good luck in your decision. Clearly it's down to finances and if you get on with the bike during a test ride (you need to know this after coming from Japanese bikes) although BM's are far less quircky than I imagined they would be (don't try using the indicators for a while mind).

Simon

Richard:

Over the years I've owned just about every traillie-style big bike, from the days of the Yamaha Super Tenere and Africa Twin through to the standard R1150GS. I also possessed a Varadero for 3 months about three years ago.

Of all the competing trail-style bikes (apart from the BMWs) the Varadero and the Triumph Tiger are the most competent. The Honda is fast, comfortable, and very enjoyable to ride. It's on the heavy side (no different to the BMW but the Beemer's weight is lower down) and dives a lot on braking. The fuel consumption is horrendous (low to mid-30s). Both the Tiger and the BMW out-handle it in the twisties . . . the Honda is really a big comfy cruising machine with a bit of grunt and grip for fast B-roads, but get onto anything too bumpy and narrow and the BMW disappears out of sight.

I know the BMW costs more but the advantages are huge (not least being the low depreciation):
Shaft drive (it's worth it for this alone)
Purpose built, made-to-measure luggage that has unobtrusive fixing rails when you're not carrying the panniers
More after-market goodies than you can poke a stick at (and they're mostly functional not just day-glo stick-ons)
Heated-grips, ABS, etc supplied by the manufacturer not after-market (I didn't like Honda's combined brakes on the Varadero)
This club!

As for choosing between the standard and the Adventure; there are few advantages for the Adventure over the standard in normal daily use that justify the extra cost. It's a personal choice and having said what I've just said I'd buy an Adventure if I was buying new tomorrow because I really like the look of the extra height, single seat, chunky tank, big screen etc. However, I've got a standard 1150GS that I've spent about £3,000 on so far and I'm very happy with the fully customised result. My point is that you'll probably still spend money after you've bought the Adventure (maybe new seat, new screen). Buy cheaper and spend the money on making it the bike the best fits/suits you.

I gave up riding big traillies in 1991 after swapping from an R100GS to a Super Tenere to an Africa Twin and did the sports bike thing. I loved the size, styling, and image of the big trail bikes but they just didn't handle well enough or accelerate fast enough. Now that the 1150GS has addressed those issues I'm back on trail bikes again after a Super Blackbird and I haven't regreted it once. I realised the Varadero wasn't for me, but at the time I didn't like the 5-speed gearbox on the R1100GS. Thank goodness I test-rode the R1150GS 'cause it's everything I wanted from a bike back in the early 90s.

Hope this helps.

Simon :)

hi dude
firstly 1 hour test ridetakes the p- - s i would deal somewere else with someone who really wanted a sale secondley the seat on the adv is shorter than standard g.s because the rack is larger this is a problem for me because i ride 2 up a lot of the time and enjoy extra length and width of standard g.s
ady

Richard

I wouldn´t put much store in what the bike press say abour Beemers, they don´t have a clue. For years they took the piss and then they decided BMs were cool and the GS was a cult bike (which it is ven though i has its faults). I guess now they think the adv. is spoiling the purity of the cult - well bollocks to them. Re Varadero - check out the thread "another reason why I am glad I bought a GS"- The GS wont cost you much when you drop it.

The GS is cracking, I tried the Adv. and I hope to buy one next year. I think it is great bike, the height is not much of an issue frankly (check out other threads on precisely this issue). I like the extra range (tank size) and it looks even more bonkers than the standard. Will keep the old R100GS though.

R100GS > ADV

El Bob,

You are about the fifth airhead owner who has expressed an interest in geting an ADV - I definately think it is the more purposeful look about it - especially with those tractor tyres fitted!! And to a man each has said they'd like to keep the old 'un too - nice!! :D

Varadero.

Richard,
I had a Varadero before the 1150 GS and really enjoyed it. The lights were excellent and on high beam mr. white van man could see you in traffic. The GS however seems a more sure footed bike, it rarely gets twitchy in town over the white lines. The abs is a great comfort and saved my ass last week when I hit the rear of a car (dont ask). 10,000 miles on the rear tyre... changing next week. Go for blue and white or graphitan and enjoy.

Attachments

• blue gs adv..jpg
    blue gs adv..jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,797
Re: R100GS > ADV

jud9e said:
El Bob,

You are about the fifth airhead owner who has expressed an interest in geting an ADV - I definately think it is the more purposeful look about it - especially with those tractor tyres fitted!! And to a man each has said they'd like to keep the old 'un too - nice!! :D

Brilliant we can start our own sub-gruop of adventurer/airheads. I wanted Lukes bike - the blue and white colour is the dogs. Not so keen now that he´s driven it into a car, but still... Couldnt give up the old one though to be honest, too much fun.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL GSers wherever you are...

Blimey - I didn't want to start a war!!!

OK - Varadero is out but still seriously undecided about standard or adventure!!
I'm 6'4" so size is not an issue. Does anyone think that the lack of non adjustable screen on the adventure is an issue? or is the adjustable one more of a gimmick?
Also is the 6th "overdrive" gear really useful rather than a regular 6th.
Bear in mind I'm used to a Y2K Suzuki Bandit 600 - faired.
Help!!!!!!!!!!
(how sad am I? - it's New Years eve!!!)
p.s. any London owners out there meet up at all?

Richard34 said:
(how sad am I? - it's New Years eve!!!)
p.s. any London owners out there meet up at all?
Don't worry saddo I'me here too!!

Cant't help you on the 1150/ADV question but meets - where are ya in London? North/West - Ace Cafe (monthly) or Elstree (bi-weekly); South/East - Eynsford, Kent (monthly) or Ockham, Surrey (monthly) - have a peek in South or Local Events/Ride-outs or even the calendar at the topof the board when it gets established.

Otherwise give us a bell 07017 GSCLUB/send us a PM

Welcome aboard Richard! Oh and er Happy New Year from one saddo to another :D

Richard ....

Bottom line - everything said here is right on. Simon gave the best overall feedback (10/10 Simon as usual) which you'd need to know if you wanted to be technical.

Assuming all Simon said was true (and it is), the main style argument against the Varadero is that it's fallen out of the ugly tree. It is quirky but not quirky-come-gorgeous like the R1150GS as only the Tedeschi can achieve.

Now - I am probably going to start a war here .... but ... don't bother with the Adventure unless you're serious about global touring. I know people in the bike press and their argument is that it's style-over-substance unless you are a genuine world-tourismo type. Even then, the standard GS1150 is fine.

The danger whispered in the corridors of the bike press rats is that the Adventure will become to big traillies what the Harley is to sad 50+ types who want to be weekend rebels - and there's no sadder bike than a Harley and no sadder biker than a Harley rider - they are an anachronism in every sense of the word. None of us want the Adventure to go the same way but unless you have the spirit of Ernest Shackleton in your veins and the ambitions of Lawrence of Arabia to span deserts, stay with the standard GS1150 and spend the extra money on the meaningful extras that Simon mentioned. For modern-day British roads the GS1150 is the bike-par-excellence.

(PS: I'll probably be drummed out of the club now and forced to take recalibration classes).

Dr. Acula (MD, PhD)
Transylvania.

Special apologies to Mike O, Jewell family and Charlie B. My sword is sharpened and I'm ready to fall on it whenever commanded. (Paul G - just send me the e-mail).

PS: I like the Adv; I really do.

PSS: Thanks Jud9e for the flak pre-warning.

'umble Alex

Alex, it takes a brave man to speak his mind here, er what would you like as an epitaph?:D
Tim

Totally agree with you about Harley's and their riders. But I hope your not right about the bike becoming an over 50's pose bike either. However as most people over 50 are below 6'0 tall then perhaps it isn't a worry!!

I certainly intend to use the bike to tour on and the main reason for going for the Adventure over the regular GS was a combination of things:

Taller riding position (I'm 6'3)
White Power rear suspension
bigger screen (regular GS is not tall enough)
and the ability to have the 30 litre tank fitted.

I was all prepared to go for a standard bike until I saw the Adventure. My main concern was that the Advnture seat would not be good enough for 2. However the test ride confirmed it was exceptionally comfortable for me and my wife. We are both tall but reasonably skinny so this might help.

Simon

Varadero

I still have a Vara, and its a gas - comfortable (I'm 6'3) and gutsy. Handling is definitely a bit iffy though and it dives on braking like an olympic champion. Fuel comsumption is crap, but 25l tank still gives nearly 200mi - and the performance is worth it. Just don't drop it with a full tank.

If you're buying new then there's no question - get the GS. But the price of a 2nd hand Vara is through the floor - you can get a lot of low mileage bike for £4,500

Ho hum ...

If I were really going to make those long, long-distance trips then the Adventure would be the bike for me. BMW dealerships will know in a few years time because the trade-ins will either be supersonic mileages or perhaps the odd 10,000 milers as used to pop down the shops with the occasional weekend round-the-county trips. As I said before, however, only the customer can decide whether they're prepared to spend the extra money.

The Varadero is a stinking good deal, and a good bike, but they're not the "in" bike at the moment, nor holding their proces well - it just happens to be the GS right now, and don't the dealers know it.

Alex B

Richard34 said:
Hey all - I'm completely new to the Beemers and have arranged a test ride from Park Lane BMW (only an hour mind, which isn't really enough especially in Central London!!) Anyway, I thought I'd go for the standard GS until I had a quick look at the Adventure version which they had in the basement, I really liked the look of it. Why is it that all the trade press reviews give the adventure 3 stars as opposed to 5 for the standard - if it's basically the same with some extras bolted on?
Also anyone experienced the Honda Varadero - cheaper and readily available and my only other possibility.

I'll try and answer your points in turn.

1/ Find another dealer, this one is taking the piss. Most dealers are quite happy for longer test rides, and for the money they should be.

2/ The reason the adv gets only 3*'s is perhaps this.

A GS is a 7.5k bike, and for that money its a damn good one. Now ABS is expensive, and most people liek heated grips hand bars etc, so most of them come in at 8.5-9k with luggage any everything on them.

You might ask what an adv adds to an already superb bike, for it's additional grand?

Better Seat? Nope, I'd say a corbin or sargent or one of the aftermarket ones is going to be better than a std adv one.

Better suspension? Nope, I'd say ohlins all round would be better than the oem adv stuff.

So as you can see, it's the blue wheels and knobbly tyres that add the grand to the bike...oh and the option to have a larger tank, which if you do want one, is the way to go.

Honda Valdonica?

Urg.

Friend had a GS, had it stolen, and fancied getting back into sports bikes, but found he missed the easy touring of the GS, so got a cheap valdoonican.

He sold it after 3 months.

Complaints.

Handling, not as good as the GS.
Petrol, it's a serously thirsty bike, with a silly small tank on it.
Lots of other small niggles.

Hth

Back
Top Bottom