Shaping Points Advice

Becksy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Need a bit of advice. I programmed a 170 mile round trip route for a day out yesterday. I used a couple of way points, but mostly dragged the route to where I wanted it to go, and then switched most of these points to "don't alert on arrival".

The route took a bit longer than planned, so for the last 20 miles I bailed out and took the motorway, which was not as per the route. At the point at which I took the motorway, the only via/shaping points left were 'don't alert shaping points'.

The Nav asked me if I wanted to recalculate (as I have it set so that it doesn't recalculate automatically, my preferred way of doing things). I selected yes, assuming that it would route me home (the final waypoint), but it kept trying to send me back to the point in the route at which I had diverged from my original plan. I didn't expect it to do this, I thought shaping points could be missed out.

Any advice much appreciated.

You say you changed most of your waypoints maybe you missed one???

Were the couple of waypoints the start and finish? then the rest of the route completed with shaping points?

I have had shaping points change to alerting when transferring from basecamp to my 590.

It is worth checking and changing them on the device once transferred to be certain. Apps - trip planner - choose route - Three horizontal bars top LHS - Edit destinations - touch dot or flag to change either way apologies if you already know this.

The re calculation will take you back to the last missed waypoint/via/shaping point unless you tell it otherwise, this will only happen if you actually miss a point and not skip one, doing that will not affect its re calculation, but if you skip a point after missing a point it will still send you back to the missed point.

You say you changed most of your waypoints maybe you missed one???

I checked all the points on Basecamp after my detour and they were all don't alert shaping points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice, will check my device later.

They might be don't alert points but you still need to pass through them or there's no point ( ;) ) in having them. My understanding anyway!

If you're using the Nav V then you can skip a point using the thumbwheel.

Isn't the problem here that the OP was expecting the device to do something without telling it what that something was. We don't have many details but it sounds like he decided to take a quicker route and thought the device should be able to read his mind! Given the need to use a motorway to shorten the route I would have thought the sensible option would be to simply get the device to take you to the final destination by the quickest means. That would mean stopping the current route and then getting the device to plot a new route to that destination. Simply recalculating the route from a position part way along it wont achieve that aim. As has been pointed out the device will try to take you to the points along the original route. If you stop the route and re start it you should get options for the next destination, if at that point you could pick the final destination it should take you there according to the settings on the device. Obviously if, like me, you normally have "avoid motorway" ticked you will need to change this to use a motorway route.

John

Need a bit of advice. I programmed a 170 mile round trip route for a day out yesterday. I used a couple of way points, but mostly dragged the route to where I wanted it to go, and then switched most of these points to "don't alert on arrival".

The route took a bit longer than planned, so for the last 20 miles I bailed out and took the motorway, which was not as per the route. At the point at which I took the motorway, the only via/shaping points left were 'don't alert shaping points'.

The Nav asked me if I wanted to recalculate (as I have it set so that it doesn't recalculate automatically, my preferred way of doing things). I selected yes, assuming that it would route me home (the final waypoint), but it kept trying to send me back to the point in the route at which I had diverged from my original plan. I didn't expect it to do this, I thought shaping points could be missed out.

Any advice much appreciated.

even when Via/way points are set to dont alert, if you dont travel through them or infact miss them, and then you need to do a recalculation, it will take you back through the missed points. As the greyone has said if you had chosen the final destination as a point to take you to, at the time you realised you were going wrong, it would have used the onboard set preferences to plan a route and take you there.

My Understanding (but will probably be proved incorrect) is that if you are off route and the device recalculates it will try routing you to the closest shaping point.

if you head nearer to the destination (still off route) it will forget that shaping point (probably after another recalculate) if there is a next shaping point closer.

Therefore you don't have to physically ride through a shaping point. Whereas if it was a waypoint you do (the gps will send you to that waypoint after every recalculation)

Agree with The Grey One yes would have been better to stop the route and chose the destination as a new route.

My Understanding (but will probably be proved incorrect) is that if you are off route and the device recalculates it will try routing you to the closest shaping point.

if you head nearer to the destination (still off route) it will forget that shaping point (probably after another recalculate) if there is a next shaping point closer.

Therefore you don't have to physically ride through a shaping point. Whereas if it was a waypoint you do (the gps will send you to that waypoint after every recalculation)

i dont think this is the case, although i may well be proved wrong, read post 18 in this thread http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/436093-Route-recalculation-an-imperfect-science/page2

i may try to prove this next time i am out.

Yes. That was my understanding that you don't have to physically ride through a shaping point.

I am just trying to ensure I fully understand how the device works for future benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. That was my understanding that you don't have to physically ride through a shaping point.

I am just trying to ensure I fully understand how the device works for future benefit.

But the device will try to route you through any that you have not already passed. It will allow you to miss out via points if you continue on the intended route. For instance if you make a roadside cafe a via but don't stop there it will be ignored, even if the cafe was down a side turning as long as you are continuing along the planned route. If it was a waypoint the device would insist that you told it you must go there and will get you to turn around until you do so.

John

i think the op question was what hapens at recalculation, if a point is missed and you then are hit with having to do a recalculation for whatever reason, then that said recalculation will route you backwards to a missed point. or thats how i see it, i will try this the next time i am out and about to see if this is the case.

Thanks John. That makes perfect sense. If I normally go off route, I get prompted to reroute and usually say no. But this time I said yes and was actually going off route until almost at home. That's cleared it up.

I have been reading that other post with interest. The one started by Wapping. I usually use the bike profile, and find that it sends me down some funny roads. Also, I could be happily be going down a main road and it will route me up a lay by even if on the other side of the road. Guess this maybe due to speed limits or something.

Thanks John. That makes perfect sense. If I normally go off route, I get prompted to reroute and usually say no. But this time I said yes and was actually going off route until almost at home. That's cleared it up.

I have been reading that other post with interest. The one started by Wapping. I usually use the bike profile, and find that it sends me down some funny roads. Also, I could be happily be going down a main road and it will route me up a lay by even if on the other side of the road. Guess this maybe due to speed limits or something.

I've given up on the bike mode for that reason. It has a tendency to send me down tiny roads that are slower and less fun. I find bike mode is OK on planned routes until you need to recalculate and then it comes up with nonsense. If I try to use bike mode directly on the device, say just using the go home option the route suggested is illogical and again uses narrow lanes rather than faster and more interesting B roads. Great shame as it would be useful to swap between modes from time to time. My bike mode settings were set to be the same as the car ones except that in bike mode I selected avoid motorways. My plan was to use bike mode for most of my route but with the choice of recalculating a route by switching to car mode if I needed to use a motorway. It would appear that there are additional differences between the modes that us poor users can't adjust. Nanny Garmin knowing best I think!

How do I make a point a via point?

I use Mapsource, when I drag and drop to make a route it automatically makes unannounced via points. I think Basecamp also makes them in the same way but you have to tell it which ones to announce

John

How do I make a point a via point?

There are folks on here much more skilled in Basecamp than me so I may be corrected, but here goes.

In Basecamp all points are classified as Via Points. These can include Waypoints. A waypoint can be placed anywhere and has to be dragged from a list in to the point in the route that you want it. A vía point is created by dragging the route itself where you want. Both types of point can be switched to a shaping point which is unannounced (in the route dialogue box), which means your Nav will use them in its routing but won't tell you when you are approaching it. To do this right click on the point in the dialogue box, and select 'don't announce (shaping point)'.

Back
Top Bottom