Re-spoking GS Wheels?

Mick Fagan

Reaction score
I've heard that the wheels on the 1100/1150 GS machines cannot be readily re-spoked. I know that the wheels or at least the spoking method is patented, according to the blurb posted elswhere on the site.

This leads me to an uncomfortable problem for when I dent one of my rims, which will no doubt happen one day. Does anyone out there know of the re-spoking possibilities of these new rims?

Mick.

respoking GS wheels

Mick

GS wheels can be rebuilt, i've just had my 1150 wheels rebuilt with stainless spokes

Because the wheels are unable to be trued in the normal way ie laced up, tensioned and then pulled right or left to straighten any irregularities; they are difficult to build.

In Spandau the wheels are built on a machine. This machine tightens each spoke a preset amount continually working round the rim, it is very difficult for a conventional wheel builder to replicate this action . The bloke I use is James Wheildon in Salisbury, I know that Hagons can also build this type of wheel

Andy Grant

Andy, thank you for that information. There is nothing wrong with my wheels at present but I'd heard of extreme difficultys being incurred by some people trying to fix bent rims and the like.

My intention in the long run was and or still is, to have a spare set of rims with dirt tyres on for relatively quick change over from a road bike to chook chaser. I did this 21 years ago with my R80 G/S and it was extremely successful.

For this purpose it is about getting bent or stuffed pieces from wrecked bikes and re-building them up from there, Time is on my side as I have at least another 250,000 Klm's before this bike wears out.

Did you put stainless spokes on because of a strength issue, or is it a cosmetic thing?

Mick.

Respoking GS wheels

Mick

A bit of both really, I just had my rims anodised black and polished stainless spokes look better, also they dont rust, i've got them on all my trials bikes and you can pressure wash them and leave them without any fear of the comedy finish that is applied to some BMW componants corroding/flaking off.

Technically, stainless spokes dont quite have the tensile strength of ordinary steel spokes, but these spokes are made by the same manufacturer as BMW's original spokes, so I think they are ok, I have had 30 pairs of wheels built with stainless spokes and have never had a spoke break or a wheel bend.

Andy Grant

greetings from sunny nottingham

hey andy could you give us any more info on the guy who built your wheels, contact info, price etc.
although what i most want is a source for the stainless spokes, as i would like to have a go at rebuilding myself.

all the best
rich
notts
uk

Respoking GS Wheels

Rich

Spokes came from Motorworks 01484 353600

Part number WHA20037 (front) About £16.00 for 40
Part number WHA32009 (back) About £16.00 for 40
Part number WHA52727 (nipple)About £40.00 for 80

Don't arse about using the original nipples as you will take the paint of them when you disassemble the wheels, they
will corrode very quickly.

James Wheildon 01722 712701 rebuilt my wheels but he isnt keen to do others after the trouble he had getting my front wheel straight. He charged me 70 OR 80 SQUIDS

Total cost for job was about £180

Regards

Andy Grant

Dug up this old thread.

Has anyone used spokes and nipples from here?

http://www.devonrimcompany.com/bmw.htm#

Thinking of re-spoking the wheels; the spokes now are corroded.

P1050517.jpg

Reckon stainless steel better than the BMW's spokes.

Cheers

My original 2005 1150GSA has non magnetic spokes, so were stainless one used by BMW as standard on the GSA???

Dug up this old thread.

P1050517.jpg

Cheers

Thats not corrosion.. thats just muck. You can very easily remove it the same way I did.. with a clean kitchen nylon scourer/sponge and some soapy water. I do mine at the start of the spring.. first warm day that I can stand to be out on the patio for an hour or so. It takes some time but they come up a treat - as new.

the spokes ARE already made from stainless steel.. so seems pointless to me to replace them with exactly the same. where's the advantage in doing that?

I didn't think the GS even came with the option for spoked wheels?

The bit BMW have patented is the spokes being on the outside of the tyre rim allowing tubeless tyres with spoked wheels :)

They've always had spoked wheels. only the 1200 had cast as an option. (or whatever)

and the spokes have been stainless throughout... only the rims have changed. as did the manufacturer.. but that was during the life of the 1100.

I didn't think the GS even came with the option for spoked wheels?

the 1150GS was only available with wires.

the vanilla GS had bare ally rims, and chrome spokes, while the GSA had SS spokes and black(ish) anodised rims.

the 1200 had cast wheels with spokes as an option.

Unless you're really, really sure i would live with the spokes you have ogt as they are usually strong. Re-spoking these rims is a notorious bstrd and as they are chromed they will show surface rust really easily. I have painted mine with waxoyly type stuff so i don't and won't have to worry:D This is as they are also a notorious bstrd to polish... :augie

Dug up this old thread.

P1050517.jpg

Cheers

Not used them for BMW wheels but used them for my Harley, they re rimed and built a special wheel for me to use with a set of after market forks, and did a fantastic job, they are highly recommended.

When the tyre manufactures were developing the 21x3.5 inch rim for harleys they built the prototype rims for them. In fact I got one of the first stainless 21 x 3.5 rims and nearly 10 years on its still going strong. If I were building a wheel it where I would go to get it done.

I'll repeat. those spokes are NOT rusty. the black that can be seen is no more than road muck that will wash off. Seems really odd to me that the OP is considering replacing Stainless Steel spokes that are dirty. with another set of spokes. When a little bit of effort with a sponge will remove all that dirt.

The main clue is the colour... rust isn't usually black. :augie

At the end of every winter my wheels look exactly the same.. takes less than an hour and not all that much effort to get them back to shiny. simple.

Dug up this old thread.

P1050517.jpg

Cheers

I got the Devon Rim company to re-spoke and re-finish my airhead wheels. They did a top job and they look really nice now, I went for black powder coated rims and hub with stainless steel spokes. All in all, a very professional knowledgable chap to do business with:thumb2

I'll repeat. those spokes are NOT rusty. the black that can be seen is no more than road muck that will wash off.

Well the spokes on my '00 GS are RUSTY. Not too bad and they clean up fairly well, but I have also considered SS as the originals are CHROME!

DIRT doesn't generally build up more on the leading edge and more on one side than the other like the RUST has. I put this down to the leading edge taking more of a battering in use and the bike having been kept outdoors (more fading on the decals on that side).

Back
Top Bottom