IAM Surity

Tractors are go

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
IAM Surity have announced that they will not insure any IAM member under the scheme who has penalty points relating to using a mobile phone.

Whilst it is good that inappropriate driving/riding is penalised, I see this as nothing more than a knee jerk reaction to a recent court case involving an hgv and four fatalities. It is right and proper that courts penalise miscreants, it is a shame that playing cosmic ping pong with motorcyclists doesn't seem to warrant the same level of severity.

I insured both my car and bikes with IAM Surity around three years ago after passing the advanced tests because they were very competitive however the following year they were far more and I've not used them since.

I too have moved after an uncompetitive renewal quote from them in January this year. I'm not overly keen on their process for new business where they will only quote you once you tell them what you can get your insurance from elsewhere either. Seems I'm doing the work for them

Interesting, but not surprising I guess. I use them as they add class 1 business use (I think thats the term) without additional cost for IAM members. My annual process is to be surprised how much their renewal quote has gone up, get a quote from a comparison site, and ring IAM Surety up to match it.

Gets a bit more complicated with more than one bike, as you to get a quote without the additional bike, then put it on at a fixed fee. (even if the renewal included it).

I agree its a bit of faffing, but I like having the basic business cover if I go offsite from my regular working place.

RBW.

I'm insured with them on both bikes and car. Every year they send me a quote for renewal which is more expensive than previous year, every year I go online and find the cheapest quote for comparative insurance (takes about 10 mins with go compare etc.). Every year they match it!

I'm not sure how many folk have found a broker who gets them the best and cheapest quote every year for renewal (although I agree they should do that!). If someone does have a broker who consistently produces a cheap renewal quote then please let us know!

In the meantime I can live with Surety as, for 10 mins effort on my part, I know I'm getting a very competitive renewal price and keeping a the benefits of my current policies (e.g. free business use cover).

Same for me with IAM Surity renewal premiums.
My solution to stop hand held mobiles - short sharp 1 month ban - it would stop overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may also be that IAM Surety will no longer offer preferential rates to IAM members who passed their test more than 5 years ago.

3 annual retest anybody? (Kerrchinggggg says IAMRS spokesperson)

Insured my RT with them. They have an "I'll beat that quote plus 10%" policy which they seem to keep rather quiet about! Got mine well down after doing some homework on the comparison sites.

They're all at it - the family have 4 cars, I've got them insured on an Admiral multi-car policy. At renewal in Sept they asked for £1440, about a £500 increase on last year with no claims. I called them up & after spouting the usual nonsense they eventually asked me - "how much do you want to pay" - at last we were getting somewhere - I said I was not paying more than £1k & they reduced the renewal to £990 !
Maybe I should have gone lower .........

Back
Top Bottom