First aid training for GS'ers Saturday 20th August

Larry

Following this thread:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=391400#post391400

I have posted part of my reply here as well if anyone is interested. PM me and once I have about ten people I will start making some arrangements. Let me know if you would prefer a weekday evening or a Saturday and whether Waterloo or Fulham would be better.

As posted on the link:

The general advice is do not remove the helmet unless absolutely necessary. The only time a helmet should be removed before the ambulance crew arrive (who will have been trained in two person helmet removal) is if there is a problem with the patient's airway or they are not breathing. By a problem with the patient's airway I mean something blocking it such as blood, vomit, broken teeth, etc. In these cases protection of the cervical spine becomes secondary - not being able to breath will cause a much more immediate problem than a spinal injury.

The only way to do a controlled removal of a helmet is by two trained people. If it is necessary to remove someones helmet by yourself (ie. the circumstances above) try and get it off in as controlled a manner as possible. Attempt to keep the head in line with the body as much as possible, undo the straps and then pull the sides of the helmet to expand it slightly - helmets will flex. Then ease it off the patients head by tilting it slightly forwards and backwards (remove glasses first - theirs, not yours). If there is someone else there you can get them to support the patients neck with one hand underneath and one hand supporting the chin/jaw. HELMET REMOVAL PRIOR TO AMBULANCE ARRIVAL IS ONLY TO BE DONE IF THE PATIENT IS NOT BREATHING OR HAS A BLOCKED AIRWAY - if they are breathing adequately it is far safer to leave the helmet on and let the trained people remove it. It is also worth discouraging people from removing their own helmets after an accident if the impact involved was of sufficient force to cause a potential head/spinal injury.

I work on my own in London and the above is the only circumstance in which I would ever attempt to remove a helmet on my own - otherwise I will always wait for another trained person to arrive and we will then consider using additional spinal immobilisation equipmet, oxygen, etc.

As some of the threads have already said, your local ambulance service should be able to point you in the direction of some first aid training. In London, the London Ambulance Service currently offer free resuscitation (CPR) training which includes basic first aid. If enough people are interested I would be happy to put together a small session with the LAS community resuscitation trainers tailored slightly more to GS riders (how to deal with beards, 250kg of bike on top of you, etc) in London one evening or possibly on a Saturday.

Hi Larry,

I'd be interested in doing a one day course on a Saturday if you can set one up.

Cheers

Dick

Re: First aid training for GS'ers

Larry said:
....how to deal with beards.....

I hope this thread hasn't become 'beardist'!

:D

Joking apart, what Larry hasn't said is that not only is he a GSer (1150, but wrong colour!), for his day job he rides a fully-spammed up Pan-Euro with blue-lights, warblers and a fair bit more than a box of plasters on board!

Great initiative!

Greg

Up for it.......Sat or Sun, either location.

One idea though...how about trying to make it the same day as the Ace Cafe meet (first Sunday of the month) and make it to start around lunchtime.......we could meet for brekkers then ride over.

Depends on how long the training would be I spose ;)

Well done Larry :thumb

Have just spoken to one of the LAS community resuscitation trainers and he is happy to put together a session with me involving CPR training, basic first aid and some first on scene at a bike accident stuff. Unfortunately Sundays are not possible (at the moment) but a Saturday at the LAS Fulham training centre is a definite possibility. We will need 8-12 people and there is parking available. Session will be no more than a few hours depending on what we put in it. I'll check but from past experience I'm pretty sure the LAS give you some kind of certificate and a key ring face shield thingy (for mouth to plastic mouth) at the end as well. Interested parties PM me.

Thought I'd give this a bump.

Have 6 people interested so far but need minimum of 8, maximum of 12 to get venue and community resuscitation trainer chap. Due to circumstances beyond my control this now looks likely to be late August/early September if it happens (not July as previously stated) and will probably be in Fulham, London on a Saturday. It will all be free and should last a few hours. PM me if interested.

PM'ed you Larry.

And stickyfied ;)

B

Damn....can't stickfy....CTFT has to do it :(
I've PM'd him.

Fanum said:
PM'ed you Larry.

And stickyfied ;)

B

Damn....can't stickfy....CTFT has to do it :(
I've PM'd him.

Cheers for that.

I already had you down for the course anyway. As soon as I have sufficient numbers I will sort out dates. I will try and give an option of two adjacent weekends although can't promise.

Larry

Count me in too, weekends are definite, weekdays harder.

Cheers

1st aid

Please put my name down too.
I shall be off on holliday in less than a week now (back 5/6 July).
Thank you
John.

I’m interested too – depends on date though. Nice one:thumb

Oops, forgot about this. I'm still on for it unless it's after 1st September in which case please don't include me. Thanks.

Thanks for the great response. I am on a course this week so this will probably be my entire 5 mins online time but I now appear to have enough people to set this up. I will PM those interested sometime next week if not before. For those who didn't get their names down, don't fret. If there is still interest I will try and set this up again once we have done the first one.

Cheers,

Larry

Larry,

Didn't hear from you, but am unsure if you are able to PM me or not?

Did you get this organised?
Sorry to hassle, but seems like a good thing to me, and I hate to miss it.

Cheers
100ww

Back
Top Bottom