Poly V belt tensioning

Gecko

Reaction score
I recently fitted a new Poly V belt and all was fine until on the way to lands end I started to notice a squeek when I opened the throttle. I checked for mice in the airfilter but concluded that the V-belt was probably the cause and it was slipping a bit. It wasn't a big problem so I left it until I got home.

I checked it and sure enough it was too loose. I could twist it past 90 degrees - so I tensioned it up and put the bike back together. The squeeking became a thing of the past :thumb

B#gg#r me if yesterday the squeeking started again.:mad: It's only when I blip the throttle - then I get the telltale squeek just like a slipping fan belt on a car. Ok - so it's slipping - I fixed it once so I can fix it again but what am I maybe doing wrong that I can't get the tension to stay ? Is there a special sequence to tightening up the 3 alternator bolts - is there some dark mystic secret that I need to discover ?

Is there a special sequence to tightening up the 3 alternator bolts

There is. Loosen all three bolts, use allen key on right hand bolt(facing engine) to tension belt, when happy it`s tight enough, tighten top bolt first then left hand and remove allen key to do up that one.
Check and repeat if nescessary.

Check for contaminants on belt and pulleys that might be causing slippage.

Keep on spannering. :thumb

Allen key you say.....hmmmm....that may be where I went wrong - I didn't even use an allen key on this job - just the spanners and socket set.
Must check more carefully - thanks for the tip . Guess what I'm doing this weekend :D

Me neither

I did mine the other week and only needed an allen key to get the cover off. Then I've probably done it wrong to.

Hi guys,

what you'r doing is tightening the lower/gearshift side nut and leaving the bolt loose. You need to tighten the allen bolt first and then lock it in place with the nut.

Whatever Noddy says !

He showed me (and the rest of the East Anglian gang) how to do it at a workshop day and my bike has now done 1000 miles since I changed my v-belt with no squeaking.

Or you've got a mouse in the system :)

Twotter said:
Whatever Noddy says !

He showed me (and the rest of the East Anglian gang) how to do it at a workshop day and my bike has now done 1000 miles since I changed my v-belt with no squeaking.

Or you've got a mouse in the system :)

I left a chunk of cheese out beside the bike last night and this morning it was gone !! :yikes ......do I still need to retension my Poly V-belt ? ;)

Just to clear any confusion...................
I have 1150 so maybe different? But the Allen thing I`m refering to has a gear type arrangement on the back which lifts the whole setup when you turn it. Hope that helps. :)

Gecko said:
I left a chunk of cheese out beside the bike last night and this morning it was gone !! :yikes ......do I still need to retension my Poly V-belt ? ;)

What, no trace of the cheese at all ?
Thats very worrying...............what type was it ?

Gecko said:
Dairylea ....I think :D

Oh, squidgy cheese, probably find it in the tread of your boot, now if it had been a nice hard lump of of Parmezano you wouldn't have any more problems. Nice glass of Chianti.............

:D :D

I was hope to capture either some footprints or find the little beggar stuck to the cheese the next morning - perhaps I'll just tension the V-belt and hope that the mouse in the airbox theory is wrong ;)

Apparently in southern Germany and they have some kind of rodent down there called a 'madder' or something like that. Their favourite trick is to crawl into car engine spaces and gnaw away at things caussing leaks and short circuits - so the mouse in the airbox theory may not be so far from reality :p

Now where did I put that chunk of runny camambert .....?

Gecko said:
Apparently in southern Germany and they have some kind of rodent down there called a 'madder' or something like that. Their favourite trick is to crawl into car engine spaces and gnaw away at things caussing leaks and short circuits - so the mouse in the airbox theory may not be so far from reality :p
QUOTE]

Thats odd, used to have a similar little bugger in the south of France, Loire or ?? Translates as doormouse but its a bit like a Sqidgel. Used to use an buzzerie type thing in the roofspace to frighten them away. They would eat through anything. Never heard of them attacking motors though.

Probably will now............ :D :D

Back
Top Bottom