1100gs vs 1150gs

Hairnet600

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
is the riding experience the same

having rode an new 1150 but not sure about the price and seeing a m reg 1100 with 10k miles on it for 5000, is the 3 grand price difference worth it

46.jpg
:D

Probably not.

Most 1100 owners will tell you that the 1100 is better. Most 1150 owners will tell you that the 1150 is better.

I ride an 1150, and think is the dogs bollocks, but then I've never ridden an 1100.

Given some of the discussions on this board, I think the 1100 may actually be the better bike, when you consider things like better gearing, better finish etc, but I'd best leave the definitive answer to those who have owned/ridden both.

Steve.

scurrell said:
Probably not.

Most 1100 owners will tell you that the 1100 is better. Most 1150 owners will tell you that the 1150 is better.

hairnet600,
Yup I ride an 1100 and it is better ;)

But seriously, I only got it to save a few grand coz it is my first bike. I have a late one (97) so build is cool. I only have 2 brake caliper bolts that show rust the rest is great. I could replace them but it is so minor who cares.
The 1100 does go. I doubt the 1150 goes better.

As Steve says speak to someone who has ridden both. I know that when I act all poor when those big spending 1150 guys are about there is always someone who says "I have had both and there is no difference".

Major differences like gears I don't know would mean much to me. Apparently lower gears differ ? I dunno ? But as for the 6th gear well I changed my style many thousands of miles ago to spend more time in the higher revs and 5th I get to less often. For example I do most overtakes in 3rd the odd one in 4th. But if you wanna do in 5th you can. The high revs are just so nippy it all feels a bit safer to me and quicker of course.

I think the 1100 front looks uglier. But hey this is a GS - if you wanna look pretty go and but a Ducati or something. Yeah I like it coz is uglier than ugly.

The other thing to think about is these things have to go for 12-20k before they feel broken in mine got good at 18k and by 20/22k I was well pleased. It is now at a mere 24k and excellent - yeah this is all pretty subjective but it does feel better than when I got it at 9k.

So if you get a 1150 how long will it be before it really opens up - this may not matter to you. But you may never get there in 2 or 3 years it all depends.

I have heard loads about problems with the 1150 and there does seem to be good and bad ones I dare say the same is true of the 1100 - look at www.micapeak.com for some pointers and www.ibmwr.org You'll find the 1100 is probably better documented and will help you pick one. After all the 1150 does not even have a haynes manual yet.

Maybe I have been lucky with mine but touch wood +15k later I have no problems, other than tyres seem to wear out over time and servicing has to be done. One thing will be of use if you get an older bike is to check out the service history it will have one. Loads of bikes have them but are so new are there problems just no unearthed yet would be my concern.

Read read as much as you can. Be careful as sometimes I think some sites focus on the problems too much (or perhaps it seems that way coz I have been lucky) the nature of BBs like this is there are loads of crys for help. Reading the above links will no doubt help to offer a more balanced view.

Having re-read the post you say £5 with 10k. BUY IT NOW. It is partly run in!!!!!!!!!!!!

gauloises said:
There's 5 used 1100's for sale at my nearest dealer
and no 1150's ;)

Seems logical - everyone wants the latest but is a good 1100 any worse ? me I'm just never in fashion
This is self evident if you consider just how many are keen to make the 1150 look like and adv. Branding isn't it wonderful. These Germans are not daft.

;);)Anyhow surely the reason is that the workshop is full of all the clunky 1150s getting this that and the other fixed under warranty coz bits are fall off;);)

Before this starts a war check the smilies

I've had 2 1150's and one 1100.
So far covered 36,000 miles on 1150's and 34,000 on the 1100,so observations should be about even.

6th gear is good - better cruising speed,but other 5 gears are too low IMHO.
Good looks
Poorer quality suspension than 1100
Motor spins better and feels easier to ride.
Easy to upgrade with Y piece and Can-due to 2 piece exhaust.
More modern feel - switches and hydraulic clutch.
Poor screen

Faster in stock trim,due to better gear ratios.
Better build quality
All UK bikes come with ABS
Motor feels more torquier,but won't rev as freely as an 1150.

Both bikes are good and I'm happy on either.Most have minor niggles,but I 've never had any major problems.

A friend of mine did 225,000 Klm's on his 1100 then bought an 1150 which did about 85,000 Klm's and now he has an adventure with the lower 1st and higher top gear, or whaterver makes it similar to the 1100 that is.

He was surmising at our Christmas camp and came to the conclusion that the 1100 and Adventure were the better of the three with the Adventure being tops as it was the latest and of course sort of newish still.

The Adventure suspension was better than the 1100 which was better than the 1150 according to him.

He was of the opinion that the 1150 was really a road bike in comparison to the other two.

I myself when riding with other bikes have observed that the 1100 and the Adventure are more capable or easier to ride, off road than the 1150 in extreme conditions!

Mick.

Missed the point

gauloises said:
There's 5 used 1100's for sale at my nearest dealer
and no 1150's ;)

Malcolm
I was just pointing out that because of us" fashion victims"
there are some decent bikes going for peanuts,
A while back i posted one on the for sale board £3,100 for
a GS 1100 with 12k .

This is self evident if you consider just how many are keen to make the 1150 look like and adv
Who me :p

ADV

I would like a New ADVENTUREURE THINGY but been offered £6000 for mine in the dealers part x, 20K miles, mine has £3k worth of Extra`s on it, pipes, W.P, braded hoeses, bar extenders, NO WURICHUCH STUFF ( to posh )

Now to Change to a NEW bike its going to cost me £4k cash plus loss of extras cost thats £7k approx.

May keep this one for ever.

Bakerman - keep your extras for the new bike or sell separately.
Why give a dealer a bike with extras - I never do.
I return it in the standard condition,that they sold it to me in the first place.

4 grand.

So do I buy a ADVENTURE THINGY then with the TWO PLUGS, or do I keep OLD FAITHFULL, W reg 2I,OOO on the clock, Sports gearbox, WP Back and front, breaded hoses, Motorworks 40mm baar extenters, and fancy talk bar thingy.

or spend 4 grand on a new one ?

Re: 4 grand.

Originally posted by BAKERMAN I keep OLD FAITHFULL, W reg 2I,OOO on the clock, Sports gearbox, WP Back and front, breaded hoses[/B]

Bakerman only you could have 'Breaded Hoses', did you make them yourself, are they a couple of french baggettes hollowed out ? :D :D :D :D :D

Simon

vs

malky.....

But you may never get there in 2 or 3 years it all depends.

i did 15000 mles on my non faired hornet in 18 months so.........

:D :beer:

JohnnyBoxer said:
Bakerman - keep your extras for the new bike or sell separately.
Why give a dealer a bike with extras - I never do.
I return it in the standard condition,that they sold it to me in the first place.
Doubt he'll find the trade-in price any different either, so that puts him even closer to ADV ownership I guess?

jud9e said:
Doubt he'll find the trade-in price any different either, so that puts him even closer to ADV ownership I guess?

Jud,
My sentiments exactly - dealers don't give a stuff about bikes with Y pieces and Wunderlich gizmo's.
They much prefer a clean and tidy,stock bike with a BMW FSH and good tyres.
There's no difference as a trade-in price between an 'accessorized' bike and a standard machine, believe me - when I traded my last 1150GS - I told the dealer it would be returned to stock - even down to removing the K+N and he didn't change his trade-in price.
To the dealer a stock bike is easier to sell and then they can sell new accessories to the prospective purchaser.

Bakerman could just go for another GS1150 - or stick with the W plater @ 21,000, it isn't even run in yet.

Back
Top Bottom