Cleaning - anyone else used "muc-off" yet?

Steve Peake

Happy New Year everyone.

I was bought a Muc-Off kit for Xmas, and was wondering if anyone else had used this yet.

All it says in the instructions is to keep it away from braking surfaces, but wanted to make sure it was alright on paint/plastics before I cover the bike in it.

Cheers

Steve Peake

Check it's not acid based.
If it is your wheels will go whiter than snow.
Be very wary..................

I've used muc off, but find that Moto 900 seems to do a better job. I didn't find any problems with the Muc Off other that trying to keep to the stated "soak time" which if I remember rightly was about 30seconds. Difficult to cover the entire bike in that time !!!!:confused:

I use Muck off regularly and swear by it. Best thing invented for a bike yet. Didn't know about the 30 second delay and didn't notice the difference.

Bought it mainly for the brushes but haven't had a chance to try it yet - better use it quick mind there was a fair bit of salt around today on them London Roads and Chiltern Hills :(

I will let you know but I did use BigNige's Amaze cleaner last time to good effect.

Yes....I too bought it for the brushes but I fell in love with the X-lite water disperser/lubricator.....I`m hooked

Yes bought it for my mountain bike but then tried it on the beast. For an idle cleaner like myself it is brilliant, spray on, brush off, hose down, then spary liberally with the lubricanty stuff. Has worked a treat on all my two wheeled treasures. SPC sell huge pots of the stuff - shame I'm always on my bike when I go there :confused:

I used to use it a lot but don't so much these days. It works very well for most applications with no real side-effects. It's not acid based and is solvent free. But two things put me off:

It seems to evaporate away quite freely, so leaving an opened bottle lying around for any length of time loses you a lot of Muc-Off. I also tend to use a lot of it (compared to something like Gunk or Moto900). Combine this with its extortionate cost (£25 for 5 litres) and I've found alternatives that are cheaper and just as good.

If you want a very cheap but highly effective brush, then I've found the best thing to use is a long-handled angled paint brush (sometimes called a "radiator brush") designed for painting in awkward places such as behind radiators. If you can find one, get one with a wooden handle rather than plastic as it's stiffer and you can apply more force. However, the plastic ones are most common because the angle is moulded into the plastic handle which makes them much cheaper (about £3 or £4).

Applying the juice with a brush also avoids spraying indiscrimately onto the brakes etc. So, I tend to use the brush with Gunk or other products that I buy in large tins - I pour the amount I need into a plastic creasote pot.

Now used it twice and now its nearly all gone!!!! :gosh Did I do something wrong? Was I supposed to dilute it? Cos @ £25 for 5 litres I'm gonna be skint if I'm to keep the bikes gleaming.

Brushes were excellent though and both bikes gleam - The black bottle (water disperser) seems to work good for the wheels and metal parts, leaving the Amaze stuff for the plastics.

Maybe the Prof will reveal what the 'cheaper but just as good' products were?

Proclean

Proclean is the stuff. All the offroad boys use it - but make sure you hose it down properly. It's much cheaper than muckoff & does the same job.

Muc-Off

I used to use Muc-Off a lot on my mountain bike and its pretty good on removing the mud, especially if you use a brush to remove the stuborn stuff.

On Mr BMer I find its not so good - it's not much good on grease or tar (I use Gunk or Comma degreaser instead).

Also as I found out the hard way (luckily on my kids bicycles thankfully) it will leave black-satin parts like handlebars a matt discoloured finish, and plain alloy goes white and spotty if you don't wash it off pronto!

Still have it, still use it occasionaly (its great for cleaning brake dust off the car's wheels [but Gunk is even better]), but just don't leave it on too long.

Duncan

Back
Top Bottom