Basic questions

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just started using basecamp with a zumo 550.

First things first, unit is still registered in the previous owners details and i have PM'd him to ask him to sort that. I.e. deregister the unit so I can register it. As i understand it the maps are registered to the unit not the previous owner. I'd like to update the maps...

My question is about base camp and how it works when the unit is not registered to me.

I am searching the town I live in dublin and it cant find it. Am I missing something or do I need the unit registered in my name before I can get even the most basic of functionality? I can't see any streets in dublin other than the Major roads.

Thanks. for any tips...

as an example, the following search reveal nothing. this is nonsense,

Attachments

• basecamp fail.jpg
    basecamp fail.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 264
I'm still awaiting a reply from the seller, but in any case, I am a bit confused. I have managed to register the device to my email. Garmin are offereing to sell me new maps (which I want) at a discount of ten percent but then I see disclaimers using phrases like 'usefull life" and " no longer supported" " cancel your lifetime updates...

I guess noone has seen this yet to offer an opinion but if anyone might have options for me with a 'download' from a ''trusted source'' it would be appreciated.

I guess I'm very disapointed. I can put any gps into the sat nav and for the most part it'll get me there but I can't get in bed with basecamp as it stands.

Please give out to me for buying an old piece of tech

Ok, I'm now going to look for a copy of mapsource because my tech is older than jesus... hope this works...

Ok mapsource is not the holy grail

Seriously gang, I've spent nearly five hours trying to figure this shit out. I don't want riverdance on the gps, I just want to plot a route in basecamp and If i paid too much for the unit and i have to update the maps, I'll do it if it works. Just a bit head wrecked. Trying to put in some miles today and tomorrow to specific places and the only using the gps now, so I'll contact garmin in the morning and see what they suggest but I'm not hopefull.

back to google maps for the moment on the phone - what a pain in the ass.

Hi folks,

Just started using basecamp with a zumo 550.

First things first, unit is still registered in the previous owners details and i have PM'd him to ask him to sort that. I.e. deregister the unit so I can register it. As i understand it the maps are registered to the unit not the previous owner. I'd like to update the maps...

My question is about base camp and how it works when the unit is not registered to me.

I am searching the town I live in dublin and it cant find it. Am I missing something or do I need the unit registered in my name before I can get even the most basic of functionality? I can't see any streets in dublin other than the Major roads.

Thanks. for any tips...

Have you got the device connected to your computer? Looks like you are just using the base map (no detail) as per your photo ?

Have you got Ireland maps on the device?

It looks like you haven't got detailed maps on Basecamp. If that's the case you need to either transfer the map from your device to your computer or plug in your device and use the map on your device via Basecamp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks you two.

Ok. I was in a panic because I've an adventure planned tomorrow and I was going to use the garmin. I've moved on and the adventure will happen but the garmin will have to come later.

How do I use the maps on the garmin unit itself? I'm pretty sure I've tried. I'll try again. I'm certainly tired of this...

wow, not sure what i've done but I think one of you two may have opened the box. Somehow.

Fingers crossed

Ok, My head is melted. BUT, i think i have read that I can move maps around and put the map on the sd card and put the sd card in the pc to make the 'reading of the map' quicker. I just need to figure that out. It's all on the web I guess.

Quote. My question is about base camp and how it works when the unit is not registered to me.
the answer is No, to the question above.

What you do need is basecamp or mapsource on your pc/mac with a functioning map to be able to search for place names, however you can, using basecamp and with your 550 cnnected to your pc/mac use the map that is installed on the 550,(if there is one) plug the 550 in and wait and let it load the map into basecamp, you can now use it.

sorry about the fact I'm talking to myself here but I'm hoping it'll help someone or make you folks with new gps units go " glad i spent the money" or " what a gobsheen"

I don't think I can make basecamp use a copy of the gps maps (copied to the sd card and in the pc - not in the gps). It's far too slow using the gps maps to do the basecamp calculations. Any suggestions?

Thinking I might just buy the update and put that on the sd card (I'll have to anyway right? It'll be too big? I guess I'm just posting with belt and braces attached because I don't want to loose my 2009 euro maps which will bring me to barcelona in may from roscoff via the older main roads. I'm not going to be using motorway and if I choose to they are very well signposted.

Quote. My question is about base camp and how it works when the unit is not registered to me.
the answer is No, to the question above.

What you do need is basecamp or mapsource on your pc/mac with a functioning map to be able to search for place names, however you can, using basecamp and with your 550 cnnected to your pc/mac use the map that is installed on the 550,(if there is one) plug the 550 in and wait and let it load the map into basecamp, you can now use it.

it does take quite a while to load. I'll down tools online here for a while.

It's bloody opaque in it's operation but I expect it will get more intuitive with time. Not convinced though after reading through all the posts on here...

thanks...

update, I think I have it. I'll test the route in the morning. Excellent.

Lot of info I know but you can get your maps onto your PC using Garmin Express. Then on to your SD card in the device using Garmin MapInstall.

Google for a program called JaVaWa GMTK, which is a really handy, free-to-use utility for moving maps from one place/device to another, deleting maps etc. You should be able to download maps from your 'My Garmin' account direct to your PC but if you're not able to do this then JaVaWa might be able to 'backup' the maps on your GPS and 'restore' them to your PC. Basecamp will work with the maps stored on your GPS, but it is tediously slow. Much better to have a copy of the maps installed on your PC.

Thanks folks. It's really quite complicated but the results are fantastic!

I set four waypoints into a route last night to do today. I set it to curvy roads and to avoid anything major. Well, it certainly did that!!!! Great fun and back roads, until it insisted that I had not been to the first way point and i had to recalculate using the 550 itself. this brought me on main roads - which was a relief to be honest as the weather was closing in.

Previous owner had deregistered the device, so I might just buy the newest maps and be done with it.

What a great device!!! I'll check out what I can do with it over the coming weeks.

Thanks for the help!

For most things basecamp have a read of this it may help, http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp.htm make sure you read the correct instructions for either pc or mac.

Yes very good thanks for that. It really is quite logical when you get into it. Nice to be able to set a destination and have it bring me up roads I'd never consider. I think this will bring a new lease of life to my motorcycle day trips:)

Back
Top Bottom