How far over can these things go?

andyb1ack

Hi,

I've only had my new 1200GS for 3 weeks and 1000miles and have already ground the left footpeg. I'm a bit worried about it now as I had a mate bin a Firestorm when he decked it out.

It's knocked my confidence in the bike a bit so if anyone does this regularly and can make me feel better about what the bike'll do I'd be most grateful. What'll go down after the pegs, and how much have I got in reserve if the peg's down?

I wasn't going fast but turned deep into the corner for a laugh rather than a taking the corner smoothly and gradual leaning over ... i.e. it was a sudden touchdown rather than a smooth one (if you know what I mean?) I presume I'd have to be pushing a lot harder to touch down on a smooth ride? Is that the way to ride these bikes?

Thanks, Andy

andyb1ack said:
What'll go down after the pegs, and how much have I got in reserve if the peg's down?
Thanks, Andy

About this far over :D

DSC02455.JPG

I've not come near grinding the pegs on road (I dont think so anyway) so i cant help you on that one. :)

Isn't ''smooooothly'''' the way to ride any bike?? I know what you mean and used to do it on the odd occasion but saw the light when 2 things happened....1 was having kids and the other was how much cash i now have tied up in the bike....and i end up footing the bills.
I did a 'better riding day' at Cadwell last week and it all hinges on smoooooooth. You could see the track day zeros who had their knee sliders well scraped on their blades/r1's etc lost them on the straights a little but was right up their chuff around all the bends...on an 1150GS. I ride like the classic GS/Pancop...upright, no knee down etc and went faster on the bends than alot of knee down merchants...but not quite as fast as gsdemigodridingguru...Jim Bryan..

(Minor thread hijack) A friend of mine did that very same course last Wednesday. He said it was fantastic. Do I take it you rated it the same?

And back on thread, somewhere recently someone posted (I think Ming) a picture of their crash bars that he was managing to touch down.... ah ha this thread on the second page.

Andy..are you sure it was the peg and not the tip of your boot???

12's do seem to need more setting up than the 11xx's......

Fanum said:
Andy..are you sure it was the peg and not the tip of your boot???
Good point, well presented. Should I buy the Supermoto Slider kit for my Sidi Flexforce SRS boots? When the toe touches down it melts......:eek:

Not ventured offroad yet. I don't think I'd be able to pick the blighter up if I leant over as far as that Dahoum!

It was definitely the peg. I keep the toes nicely tucked in and out of trouble nowadays.

Agreed that smooth's the way to go. I was just messing to see what the bike's capable of. I didn't rate it as fantastic... more like a "moment", and I try and avoid those! I guess it would be a whole different ballgame if it touched down riding "smooth" though... that'll be a while off if at all I suspect.

I've not touched any suspension settings yet, is that what you meant by the 12s need a bit of setting up? I've noticed it getting a bit wallowy when the the road undulates and I'm pushing it...

... and I can't work out that short first gear either! What do you guys do mini roundabouts in !?! 1st or 2nd?

Anyhow, I'm enjoying it immensely .. and not least because there seems to be so much to learn about how to ride 'em.

... and I can't work out that short first gear either! What do you guys do mini roundabouts in !?! 1st or 2nd?

Back it in then spin it up on the way out... If I'm loaded with a pillion I'll use 1st otherwise I can normally get away with 2nd.

You've got to watch your tyres though:D

Attachments

• ring tyre.jpg
    ring tyre.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,169
I've not touched any suspension settings yet, is that what you meant by the 12s need

Yep. Bill's absolutely right, the 1200s need a lot more setting up. I never touched the 1150 but it took me quite a while to find the right settings for the 1200 - well worth it though.

As a starting point, wind the rear preload up a lot. Should cure the wallow. Experiment with the rear damping in quarter turns. I found the last quarter turn I adjusted transformed it. Front - I've found following the BM recommended settings works for me.

Paul

Excellent, thanks Paul - I'll give that a go. I didn't know whether it was just me coming from a sports bike.

Wreford Miles.... I certainly won't be trying that! Maybe if I got me a wee super-moto someday... (I wish). I've got mates in St Albans and often visit them. Will let you know if over in that neck of the woods sometime.

Guys,

I have to disagree on riding technique - leaning in gradually is a recipe for disaster, as is apexing too early, as you could easily run out of road on the exit.

The safest, and fastest, way through a bend is to turn in fairly late and get to the lean angle you need as quickly as possible by using firm counter-steering. Turning in later than you think you should also has the advantage of maximising your view of the road ahead before you commit to your line.

And if you're not comfortable with hanging off the bike, just shifting your weight to the inside of the turn will allow you either (a) to have less lean angle for a given speed (and thus more grip) or (b) to have more speed for a given lean angle - the choice is yours!

Have fun! :)

Seed

andyb1ack said:
Hi,

I've only had my new 1200GS for 3 weeks and 1000miles and have already ground the left footpeg. I'm a bit worried about it now as I had a mate bin a Firestorm when he decked it out.

It's knocked my confidence in the bike a bit so if anyone does this regularly and can make me feel better about what the bike'll do I'd be most grateful. What'll go down after the pegs, and how much have I got in reserve if the peg's down?

Thanks, Andy

On my first ride on the 12gs I felt this was a real issue for me. I mentioned it to some folks.

I'm hoping that when the 12 Adv arrives mit Ohlins or whatever the extra ride height will be welcome.

If you're worried about decking the pegs and dropping the bike, just get off the bike more in the corners, this will allow you to carry the same corner speed without so much lean angle, this way, your knee will hit the deck before the pegs and you are much less likely to panic.

David

Rabbitson said:
If you're worried about decking the pegs and dropping the bike, just get off the bike more in the corners, this will allow you to carry the same corner speed without so much lean angle, this way, your knee will hit the deck before the pegs and you are much less likely to panic.
David
And make sure you're wearing knee sliders and borrowed boots :D

Try leaning

Instead of leaning the bike, lean your body.

Sorry to whomever this is but this is an example of what you shouldn't do:
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/attachment.php?postid=356921

Instead, lean your body into the turn. This allows you to keep the bike more upright. The difference in handling is remarkable. You get better traction, for acceleration, braking and cornering. This is what racers do, though less exagerrated when on the street.

I learned it in Lee Park's Total Control riding clinic (also documented in his books by the same name). Using this technique lets you take maximum advantage of the GS's height. When I scrape a peg on my 04 Adventure I'm usually already working on a skidmark already.

Back
Top Bottom