Corbin seat now fitted on my GSA!

BTBR

Compulsive tinkerer........!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well its here........and to be honest for a seat that costs so much feckin' money the attention to any sort of finishing detail is shite to say the least! Plus, you even have to remove the latch from your OE seat and fit onto to it?

The cable connections on the underside of the seat are somewhat suspect as well, in fact I have already recrimped three of them just for my own piece of mind.

The seat itself is upholstered quite well and looks nice but it certainly does not smack you in the face with quality, unlike either the Sargent or the Melvin Hunter seats did. It is the same height as the OE low one, as in 33 1/2", but the nose section is slightly wider than the OE seat so it does force your legs a little further apart when reaching for the ground with both legs. That said, for me it does not present a problem, unlike the Sargent seat which did.

The rider part of the seat is very flat and is much longer compared to the OE low one, this is due to the fact that they have not added the under seat tool roll compartment. This longer section allows you plenty of room to move around on the seat, but I have noticed that I now tend to sit a little further back, therefore I may try a pair of Nippy Normans bar risers, the ones that project the bars back as well as up, part number GRP1026.

Riding the bike with the heated seat on is really very nice and comfy and at first I thought that it was of a waste of time and more of a gimmick, but I have since changed my mind! However the switch and associated cable connections do leave the overall durability and water tightness to the imagination.

But the biggest thing that shocked me (other than the overall poor quality that is) is the weight of the seat! Why does it have to weigh so much I simply cannot understand any real logical reason to be honest?

As to how it performs is to early to say, but to be honest functionality has now over taken any expectations about quality.

I would also add that the UK importer that I dealt with have been absolutely superb, namely Battistini's in Dorset. They have been bloody fantastic in getting the seat to me so quickly and efficiently. So, if anyone is thinking about getting a Corbin seat, then give Karen Drinkwater a call on 01202 432127. Highly recommended ++++++++

Will post some pictures of it later, plus a more in depth report to follow, just off out to try it out on a decent run now while the sun is still shining!

Alan

Right then...........I have just done a 200 mile blast around the Mendip Hills on it and wow, its certainly very comfy, and having it heated is truly excellant:D

But it does tend to make you want to sit further back which in turn causes to have your arms out stretched further in order to reach the bars:(

I have ordered the risers from NN so I will fit those and try again in a couple of days time.

But that said, it is nice having the room to move around a bit. The overall width of the seat is not really a problem, provided that you don't want to put both legs down at the same time.
For me it is not possible unless you are happy just havin' a big toe in contact with the ground on each side that is?:rolleyes:

As a point of interest, but the OE seat weighs in at 6lb, (less the tool kit) while the Corbin seat weighs in at a whopping 16.8lb:confused:

So lets just hope that this seat works out for me, otherwise yet another seat will be up for sale:mad:

In the meantime a photo or two

Attachments

• side resized.jpg
    side resized.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 499
It's all about function Alan, and they work.........

Function is not always pretty...........pretty!!

But they're solid (that's why they weigh 17llbs) and it'll still look like that after 50,000 miles and won't have dropped to bits.

A word of caution............see where it rubs on the underside on the silver GSA rack and your silver sidepanels..............then tape them up NOW, with some strong clear tape or silver Gaffa tape, otherwise it'll cut through the paint in no time

The idea of a heated seat is sounding good to my other half but corbin are too £££££.

Has anyone tried a DIY version using the OE seat, found some info on making DIY heated vest and gloves any ideas?

Cheers,
Brian

JohnnyBoxer said:
A word of caution............see where it rubs on the underside on the silver GSA rack and your silver sidepanels..............then tape them up NOW, with some strong clear tape or silver Gaffa tape, otherwise it'll cut through the paint in no time

Good tip JB, thanks:thumb

VFRman said:
The idea of a heated seat is sounding good to my other half but corbin are too £££££.

Has anyone tried a DIY version using the OE seat, found some info on making DIY heated vest and gloves any ideas?

Cheers,
Brian

As I mentioned before, at first I thought that it was more of a gimmick and served no real purpose. Therefore had it been an option not to have it, then I would have not bothered and saved some dosh.

However............having now tried it, I conclude that the heated seat is bloody excellant. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just need to fine tune the bars back a little, then we have the perfect riding position..........I hope?

BTBR

Hi Aaln

Your new seat looks great.

I was supprised at the quality of the build though.

Oh nice to see you have cleaned your GS it was dirty when i saw it!!!!

If you want i will send you back your PINK RAG so you can polish it!!!!!

Thanks again for the lights... Still waiting for the other bit...hint hint!!!!

By George I think I have cracked it!!!

Fitted the handlebar risers/setbacks last night and rode to work this morning, 100% improvement I have to say:D

Although the risers are 1", the slope of the top yoke reduces the overall height increase down to about 1/2". But they do projext the bars back 1 1/4".

By doing this, it nows means that you can sit further back in the "well" of the Corbin seat and enjoy even more warmth from that lovely heated section.:D :D :D :D

For some unknown reason I thought that the bike might a little different, but no, everything is fine and dandy.

At 5' 9 1/4" in bare feet I opted for the 1 1/4" setbacks, but if you are taller you might want to try the 5/8" setback ones?

There is no need to alter or replace any cables in order to get the risers/setbacks to fit.

That said, the front brake hose does get a little tight when on a full right hand lock. But I don't consider this to be a problem as it will only ever do this when parking or moving around in the garage or confined spacers etc.

The biggest problem is that the handle bars now hit the Baglux tankbag even on the slightest lock. But that is easy to overcome..........just remove the BMW barpad!

It really is a pity that Corbin did not do the "nose reduction" work (offered as an option by them) at the front end of the seat. Thus making touching the ground with both feet a little easier that they were requested to do, otherwise it would have been perfect!

So thats it, with just two weeks to go before the Tossers Trip I have finally found Utopia!!!

Alan

Attachments

• grp_forhomepage.jpeg
    grp_forhomepage.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 389
Al, I had a Corbin on my 1150GS and it was the most worthwhile mod I made to it. After you've done a 350-400 mile day on it and get off with no twinges or numb bum at all you'll appreciate the difference.

Alan,

Good you got it finally sorted....

Put the Hunter seat on and 400 mile 6 hour round trip Liverpool to Bath (1 hour stop in Bath). Only problem was the traffic going to the FA cup....

... the seat is excellent, no numb bum at the end, just fantastic - should have done it earlier....

Thanks....:) :)

AdamZ said:
Alan,

Good you got it finally sorted....

Put the Hunter seat on and 400 mile 6 hour round trip Liverpool to Bath (1 hour stop in Bath). Only problem was the traffic going to the FA cup....

... the seat is excellent, no numb bum at the end, just fantastic - should have done it earlier....

Thanks....:) :)

Good man Adam and thanks for letting me know.

Now I have to say, IMHO the Melvin Hunter seat, quality wise, is twice the seat that the Corbin one is..........and for half the price. :eek:

At least this time I am not talking to you with me stood in the shower...........hands free of course :rolleyes:

BTBR

UPDATE

Shock and total amazement.......I got home tonight and thier was a brand new Corbin seat waiting for me. :eek:

I unpacked it and to be honest it looked that same as the other one did. :confused:

BUT, once it was fitted to the bike, you could clearly see that the front section on the replacement seat has been made that much narrower than the first one. So much so that I can now touch the floor with both feet very nearly flat and there is no interferance with the seat width at all.

I thought at first that they may have reduced the overall seat height, but I have checked with the spirit level and plumb line (sad arn't I?) and it is exactly the same height as the first one.

So, a top result then..........one very happy Corbin owner.

A huge thumbs up to Battistinis, well done guys and many thanks :thumb

The downside is that there is now a "spare" Corbin seat floating about.

It has only been used for ten days or 2935 miles around the Baltic States :D

BTBR

Back
Top Bottom