Things bods want to see on the Nav VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wapping

Reaction score
Please tell them (Garmin) you want.

Fuel on route.
Facebook integration (they are looking at this, but they are not sure if we the customer want it) (so geo tag photos) post location etc.
Tripadvisor integration - see above - you can search using tripadvisort instead of that american crap yelp.
Better fuel integration - so you can set reserve at say 35 and it will auto add a fuel stop, again they are looking at this, not sure we want it. - Sounds good to me!

Cut from another thread that related to music only.

Had a long chat with a garmin support guy. Very helpful, they seemed somewhat suprised that they were in the wild so quickly.
Lots of interesting stuff coming down the pipe, but they seem very reluctant to release it, as they are unsure of the demand. Which is annoying as I think with a iphone/android up to back up their garmin adventures thing, it would be a nice travel blog/holiday memento app.

But I also had the music issue, they are not aware of it :) But it seems like a good time to get in and request features :)

Long gone are the days when a sheet of paper, a map, a reliable GPS device and a decent dollop of imagination were sufficient. It now seems that everything has to be catered for, a full blown info-tainment system bolted onto the awesome steed.

Half or more of the problems encountered by bods on this site revolve around their inability to get their devices to function as they think they should. Most of these many problems are caused by all the bloody bells and whistles bikermates have demanded, in order to enhance their onbike 'experience'. Adding more and more will only serve to compound the issue.

Do these latest whiz-bangs not have 'fuel on route' then?

My (ancient?) 660 has it, and it works well.

Do these latest whiz-bangs not have 'fuel on route' then?

My (ancient?) 660 has it, and it works well.

Of course the Nav VI does. In common with most reasonably up-to-date Garmin devices over say the last 15 or more years, the Nav VI has "fuel on route', along with finding fuel in 'where I am now', 'at my destination' and in locations that may be hundreds of miles away, found by inserting the location into the device's 'look near' (or whatever it's called) function. No guarantee that the fuel station is open or even there, though.

It's possible to set all sorts of fuel gauge settings, including: Fuel tracking, the distance per tank and a fuel level warning, the latter two's parameters being set manually by the device's owner. Find this (and other bikermate essential functions) by going: Map view, dashboard, three horizontal lines in bottom right hand corner of the screen, push on three horizontal lines, scroll down, fuel settings.

If the fuel warning light comes on, the device will show a prompt on the screen asking if the rider would like to be offered possible fuel stations to visit. Select the one you fancy from the list offered.

It'll probably take geotagged pictures too, saved in Favourites and searchable by the image as opposed to say a name, just as earlier Garmin devices did.

How have you got fuel on route to work?

Plot route from a - b.
Then when you look at fuel it will suggest the closest, moving out to further and further away.
I've not seen fuel on route? So if for example you're on a motorway, none of the closest will be of any use?

The zumo 595 has an annoying warning whenever there is a bend, deer warning, school, frog crossing and a million other things that I have no need to have to see on the screen whilst negotiating said obstacle. FFS, apart from that and the dubious screen brightness it's a great sat nav,but the warnings can't be switched off and they are really annoying and more likely to cause an accident than help you avoid one. Facebook would be the nail in the coffin for me, I'm on the bike to get away from the world.

How have you got fuel on route to work?

Plot route from a - b.
Then when you look at fuel it will suggest the closest, moving out to further and further away.
I've not seen fuel on route? So if for example you're on a motorway, none of the closest will be of any use?

Create a route A to B

Run it, somewhere where you have a satellite signal for the device to latch onto

You'll now have the magenta line on your screen

Push and hold the back arrow, bottom left hand corner. This returns you to the home screen.

Push :Where To'

Push the Petrol Stations icon

Top right hand corner, push Searching near, selecting: My active route'

A list of petrol stations will appear, along with their distance (as the crow flies) and their cardinal point compass heading (N, S, E and W) from your current position. The list is in distance order, closest first.

Here you have to start making a bit of an educated (or even a lucky) guess. If you are travelling north, you probably don't want one that is south of you. But, remember that all roads are not dead straight, so what is north one minute as you hoon might actually turn out to be west when you go around that bend that's up ahead. In other words, you need to know what your general direct of travel is. This often a handicap for bikermates who do not do their own route creation, do not have a map and do not know that it's pretty safe rule of thumb that the sun rises in the east, traverses through south (where it spends a lot of the day) and sets in the west. In short, they do not have the faintest idea where or what they are doing, as they are totally reliant on Garmin's box of widgets.

Tap the petrol station from the list that you think looks like a good bet.

Now tap the 'i' (for information) button

The screen, as if by magic splits into two. On the left, the fuel station's details. On the right, a map giving the position of the holy grail you seek, the magenta line and, with luck, your awesome steed. Can't see your steed? Panic not..... Zoom out (or in) by tapping the little map. Like what you see? Great. Ride to it or tap Go!

Don't like it? Push the back arrow and repeat until you find something you like.

Some of this can be done using the BMW whirlywheel thing on the bars, too.

Use the same method to find hotels, points of interest etc etc etc

Yes, it does require a bit of imaginative use and for the rider to fiddle a bit as they hoon along, not concentrating fully on the dreadful world of hazards about them. To remove all responsibility for the possible outcome of this activity, the biker should at once smother himself in the cloak of righteousness, sucking his teeth and shaking his head at every cage (note the magic word, without which the power is greatly diminished) driver he sees fiddling with something. That will ensure no harm comes to the bikermate and his awesome steed.... ever.

If you fancy it and you think you'll look for fuel stations more often than say parking places, you can personalise the screen and / or maybe create a screen button.

Right so you can do it manually. Was aware of that. I hadn't realised you could see the magenta line, so that's useful info, cheers for that.
I'd still like the thing to just look for fuel on route, as your option works great, until you're in France and the next off ramp is 40km away...

Right so you can do it manually. Was aware of that. I hadn't realised you could see the magenta line, so that's useful info, cheers for that.
I'd still like the thing to just look for fuel on route, as your option works great, until you're in France and the next off ramp is 40km away...

(1) You should have thought about your likely fuel range before you set off. That is why your bike has a fuel gauge, a trip meter and your all the bells and whistles Garmin GPS telling you the distance to your destination. Failing that, French motorways regularly have repeater boards detailing fuel stations over the next say 100 kms (60 miles) do a bit a gentle arithmetic as you ride along, it will ease the tedium.... or buy the simple Michelin map that marks the motorway fuel stations.

(2) On the 1600 at least, when the bike's fuel light comes on it triggers a signal to the GPS device which sets in motion the device asking if you'd like it to find you a fuel station. It asks only because it really has no idea what you want or what particular thoughts might be going through your head at any one moment. Other bikes might well be different. Similarly, you can set the device with a manual fuel gauge which, when it pings off, might well (I really can't remember as I have never used it) trigger the same prompt.

In short, take a bit of responsibility for your own actions. The GPS device is very clever as it will get you from Helsinki to Rome via the backstreets of Lisbon... but it's never a complete nursemaid. If you want one, take a jerry can.

(1) You should have thought about your likely fuel range before you set off. That is why your bike has a fuel gauge, a trip meter and your all the bells and whistles Garmin GPS telling you the distance to your destination. Failing that, French motorways regularly have repeater boards detailing fuel stations over the next say 100 kms (60 miles) do a bit a gentle arithmetic as you ride along, it will ease the tedium.... or buy the simple Michelin map that marks the motorway fuel stations.

(2) On the 1600 at least, when the bike's fuel light comes on it triggers a signal to the GPS device which sets in motion the device asking if you'd like it to find you a fuel station. It asks only because it really has no idea what you want or what particular thoughts might be going through your head at any one moment. Other bikes might well be different. Similarly, you can set the device with a manual fuel gauge which, when it pings off, might well (I really can't remember as I have never used it) trigger the same prompt.

In short, take a bit of responsibility for your own actions. The GPS device is very clever as it will get you from Helsinki to Rome via the backstreets of Lisbon... but it's never a complete nursemaid. If you want one, take a jerry can.

Ah the delights of the optimistic.

Having had plenty of range, you'll sometimes find, yes even on the peage the stations shut. The next one can be 110km+ away. At that point no jerry can (unless you're regularly carring 10+ litres) is going to save you. The best option is to look for a local place to fuel up as the next junction may only be 5 km away. Yes you run the risk of them being shut also. But having searched around and asked in bars, we've also found the petrol station owner, who was more than happy to open up for 5 bikers to fuel up. Once he'd finished his pint of course. He will explain that technically the garage is still open, not closed and the locals will know where he is.

I'm not sure how me taking responsibiity for my actions has anything to do with a feature request on a bit of software. But hey I'm not perfect like you, so perhaps that's it. The fact that in the local group we have a fuel muppet award, and we are in triple digits means that it's quite a common mistak a to maka...so hey, perhaps Garmin wants to help it's customers out.

On the GS the integration also works great in that a fuel light icon appears on the sat nav about 10 seconds after the normal fuel light does. But again it will point you at lots of petrol stations that you need to be a crow to get to in the distance quoted. Less than useful if it knows you're on a motorbike and has you know maps in it and the ability to route to those destinations.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom