Turning itself off, maybe..... A crash, perhaps.....????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wapping

Reaction score
I noticed that when I updated the maps, the device - though fully charged - fired up, then it appeared to switch itself off very quickly (the screen going completely dark) requiring me to turn it on again. Twice or three times this happened.

I am wondering if the device is not actually turning itself off at all, the sudden appearance of a completely dark screen indicating nothing more than the device was thinking to itself, perhaps? Either that or the on-off button is faulty.... or it's crashing..... we shall see.....

That being said, I did notice that when I was mucking about with the music last night, that the device would suddenly switch itself off randomly, which suggests a crash of some sort....

It's sleep mode.

From Page 2 of the manual that you downloaded :)

About Sleep Mode
Use sleep mode to conserve battery power when your device is
not in use. Sleep mode uses very little power, and a battery
charge lasts for weeks when your device is in sleep mode.
Entering Sleep Mode
Press the
key.
Exiting Sleep Mode
While the device is in sleep mode, press the
key

It's not sleep mode. Sleep mode is entered in one of two ways:

1. With the key, as described in the owner's manual

Or

2. Sleep mode comes on at pre-set intervals if the device is not in use. Mine is set at the device's default two minutes. I can make it do that with boring reliability.

These shut downs were random and the device was in use, updating maps or playing music and downloading music data from my iphone.

Similarly, the device wakes up again rapidly from sleep mode. Not so from the random shut downs. The Nav VI fired up, then the screen went black again, then woke up, then went black, then stabilised again with the screen on... until it shut down again, sometimes within a minute, sometimes not for 10 or more minutes.

Was quite looking forward to purchasing a nav vi , but every thread I have read on here ,seems to bring up issues with it. Think I may wait till it's sorted before splashing out nearly £600 .

Hope you get sorted wapping

Not a Nav unit, but my 590 has had similar problems. One was when en-route adding an additional stop point typically a fuel stop. The unit just turned itself off.

It also refuses to retain a charge and so has gone back to Garmin.

Was quite looking forward to purchasing a nav vi , but every thread I have read on here ,seems to bring up issues with it. Think I may wait till it's sorted before splashing out nearly £600 .

Hope you get sorted wapping

Oh, I think it's a very good device. The only major problem bods seem to have encountered is with the loading of music (something I don't use) and a complaint that it doesn't work as a full-on monitor screen for the Garmin Virb video camera.

I mucked about in music just to see how and if it worked, hoping to then maybe help bods if they got stuck. I can now (with help from another thread) understand how it works and that the transfer of some specific music data (track / album listing mostly) between an iPhone and the device is not fast. That I think is just a surprise as we are used to fast transfer into car entertainment systems and / or into music systems at home. But hey, it's just a GPS device with bolt-on's, so no big deal, really.

The switching off phenomenon is, I think, simply memory / activity related, with the device becoming overloaded during some activities. The 660 struggled just the same when it was first released, unable to process the increased data capability fast enough; that fault was fixed by Garmin very quickly and it turned into a great device, very popular with bikermates. I've not seen it since I completed the latest map installation, nor since I stopped piddling about in music.

My Nav V's were / are remarkably stable and reliable, as were my assorted Garmin GPS devices right back to the Quest.

I think what we are seeing is nothing more than a steepish learning curve when it comes to the Nav VI's music, coupled to a bit of disappointment or frustration that it didn't work quite as bods had hoped (or imagined) it might with the Virb camera. The switching off? Maybe it was just a one off set of glitches? If it doesn't do it again, great. If it does.... we shall have to see.

It's not sleep mode. Sleep mode is entered in one of two ways:

1. With the key, as described in the owner's manual

Or

2. Sleep mode comes on at pre-set intervals if the device is not in use. Mine is set at the device's default two minutes. I can make it do that with boring reliability.

These shut downs were random and the device was in use, updating maps or playing music and downloading music data from my iphone.

Similarly, the device wakes up again rapidly from sleep mode. Not so from the random shut downs. The Nav VI fired up, then the screen went black again, then woke up, then went black, then stabilised again with the screen on... until it shut down again, sometimes within a minute, sometimes not for 10 or more minutes.

Ah fair enough. Mine had done it to me a couple of times before I realised what it was doing.

One thing, mine updated it's firmware before loading the new maps, that required 2 or 3 reboots of the device.

Had yours already done this at that point?

Ian

Hi Ian,

To be honest I can't remember, I was updating several devices at the same time. Now that you mention it, it does make sense that the device might well shut down and restart several times whilst the software updates are finally installed. Maybe, as is quite likely, I just saw those?

The shut downs whilst the music app was running were different. But as I don't use the music function I guess I'll never know.

I think when I first got it.

It changed the firmware once, updated the maps, then updated the firmware again. One of the firmwares was 2 reboots, as I thought I'd knadgered it, by unplugging it, so I think that's what you might have seen.

there is a new map update today, so see if it reboots again?

I have had mine freeze on a long route (dover) and I've got the same issue around it not seeming to expect a lot of music from spotify etc.
However I'm ok with that as I'm happy to stick some tunes on a card or an audio book. So it's not an issue for me until they fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom