Prices

BawdyMonk

Just had the first head to head with my dealer, prices as follows:
CYP£8700 :GS Adventure
CYP£850 : ABS
CYP£150 : Heated Grips
CYP£138 :Rider Display

CYP£9838 : Total = UK£11201.. pre discount

Q1> bit suprised at the Rider Display being an extra, is it in the UK?
Q2> He's a bit vague about the twinspark if I order the bike now, for March delivery, is it guaranteed to be twinspark? IE; have they stopped producing single sparks?
Q3> What sort of % dicount can you get in UK?
Q4> Are BMW crash bars available in black?

The rider display is a standard fitment in the UK. And all new GS's coming through will have the twin spark engine.

As for a discount, no chance. Dealers in the Uk can sell new GS's many times over, so you might get something on accessories like panniers, but nothing on the cost of the bike itself.

If you want the adventure engine bars, order them with the bike as they are twice as much if you buy them after you have bought the bike.

Bob

PS The overall price is very high compared to the UK price.

BMW Adventure bars only come in a sort of 'brushed stainless' finish. Several aftermarket bars come in black - Hepco & Becker (see thread 'How wide are H&B Bars' for pics) and Touratech for instance. I've just ordered a set of H&Bs to replace my BMW Adv bars after my prang -- £85 + VAT as opposed to £388 + VAT for the BMWs! So, naturally, I've just ordered a techlusion chip to use up some of the difference.....:D

MikeO

i have just bought my bike in belgium 2003 model with all these extras

heated grips
rider info
engine bars
complete set of the aluminium panniers
black engine and transmisson
big tank
the new gps
the headlight grill
the set of spots

all for between 14700 /14750 euros
because of rip off ireland and its vehicle reg tax
over here in maddocks they wanted 16,350 with no extras and he was not bothered if i bought one or not so i rang directory enqueries and asked for the phone numbers of bmw garages in europe that sold bmw bikes and when i got through to the shop in belgium the salesman mark spoke real good english and faxed me the price list straight away and i made the deal that day the following week i flew over paid a deposit (the shop was big) and now ive got the bike with all the extras owing me thousands less as i had to pay no vat as i was exporting it and the warranty is the same everywhere i tryed to buy one in the uk but the sterling is a killer and anyone in england will make a packet changing there money the rate at the moment is .63 or there abouts so look into europe its cheaper plus you d"ont have to pay the vat as there is a loop hole anymore info jjust reply here or e mail me

MIKE OUGHTON said:
So, naturally, I've just ordered a techlusion chip to use up some of the difference.....

But of course! . . . And you deserve it too after your ordeal.

Simon Eassom said:

But of course! . . . And you deserve it too after your ordeal.

Absolutely:D By the way, BMW Insurance aren't increasing my premium* for using the chip (I pleaded that it was only to cure the dreaded surge - which is true - but last August they said they wouldn't cover me with a BB Chip, even with an extra premium!)

MikeO:)

*Of course, they'll hit me for six (home run, JNR) in March when I come to re-new my policy having had a prang (wreck, JNR) - My car premium was increased by 15% as a result of the accident. Poo (Shit, JNR):mad:

Thanks for the translation :D

Talking of insurance I got another speeding ticket yesterday (first on the GSA). My insurance is now $4700 per year! We don't get a 'no claims discount' over here and they screw you for tickets. Never had an insurance claim against me in the last twenty years but get reamed for the regular buggering that the CHP administers to me.

jnrobert said:
but get reamed for the regular buggering that the CHP administers to me.

Ah, I remember when I was a Traffic Cop & had time for a social life.....Halcyon days.....:D

MikeO

bigbang said:
i over here in maddocks they wanted 16,350 with no extras and he was not bothered if i bought one or not

Hey BB,
Nobody in the UK knows what a "Maddock" is !! I've had the same experience as you. I have a 02 Gs in graphitan with all the bells and whistles etc. Please pm me re the VAT as I think you have a nasty surprise coming. I will send you my mobile number.

:beerjug:

MIKE OUGHTON said:
BMW Adventure bars only come in a sort of 'brushed stainless' finish. Several aftermarket bars come in black - Hepco & Becker (see thread 'How wide are H&B Bars' for pics) and Touratech for instance. I've just ordered a set of H&Bs to replace my BMW Adv bars after my prang -- £85 + VAT as opposed to £388 + VAT for the BMWs! So, naturally, I've just ordered a techlusion chip to use up some of the difference.....:D

MikeO

Mike
Why are you going the H+B route, better protection ?
surely the insurance co would'nt stop you getting the originals.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback, a week of loitering around this site has convinced me to go the GS route.

As I've said in another post my big problem is that nobody around here knows anything about BMW bikes, I've only seen 2 in about 11 years here and one of those was a cops K12RS

Couple of things;

Bigbang, I think you might get hit for the VAT mate, I have to pay import tax as well if I do what you've done, but I'm going to check out how much. Who was the dealer?

MikeO, my lovely BMW dealer won't fit ANY non BMW parts, are there any tricky bits in fitting the bars? I also want some really good lights and have same problem, BMW lights are UK£380 PLUS fitting!

jnrobert, I thought that CHp had switched to BMW bikes, doesn't that help at all, you know being one of the boys?

:beerjug: :beerjug: Cheers everybody

gauloises said:
Mike
Why are you going the H+B route, better protection ?
surely the insurance co would'nt stop you getting the originals.

To be honest Gates, it comes down to 'more bang for my buck'. I saved £300 by choosing H&B over BMW, allowing me to use that money elsewhere (the insurance co have agreed to the settlement & my dealer is flexible). I honestly think H&B will provide better protection, having tested the Adv bars, so the decision was a 'no-brainer'.

Re: Thanks

BawdyMonk said:
MikeO, my lovely BMW dealer won't fit ANY non BMW parts, are there any tricky bits in fitting the bars? I also want some really good lights and have same problem, BMW lights are UK£380 PLUS fitting!

Bawdy,

I'd advise you to order Hepco & Becker crashbars (from Motobins, Spalding, Lincs 01775 680881 Part No 95627 [Black]). They are a bit of a pig to fit, I understand, but if you do a search for 'Hepco & Becker' on his site, you'll find an excellent set of step by step instructions authored by our very own Simon Eassom.

As regards lights, as I think I said, the BMW lights are very nice, Gucci to look at etc, but fragile & expensive (as you've found out!). I'd advise you to look on this forum for the thread entitled something like 'Auxiliary Lighting Bars'(?). Mike Belch has sourced some custom made light brackets for £40ish (from Belgium, I think), which is about a third of the price of similar, commercially produced, brackets. There must be car accessory shops in Cyprus where you can get some spots or fogs. If you want 'driving lights', then wire them, through a relay, into the Main Beam. If you want them to be switchable, independent of the headlights, you may want to look at an Autoswitch, which allows you to do this by adapting the use of the indicator kill switch. Once again, a search for 'Autoswitch' on this forum should give you the lead you need.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom