Searching in Basecamp

scorp888

Reaction score
So having done the recent trip planner for my scotland trip, I was quite suprised at how bad the maps are when it comes to looking up places such as businesses.
On the one hand I guess I have got used to how good google maps is for that kind of thing.
How does everyone else cope? Is there a tip for searching that I'm missing?

Since I've been heading off to google maps to find places, has anyone got an easy way to find somewhere in google maps and transfer that as a waypoint to base camp?

as above, find what you are looking for on google maps, right click on the place with mouse a window will open, and then left click on whats here, this brings up a window with coordinates, just left click on them and it will put them in the map search box at the top left and you then copy and paste these coordinates into the find and locate coordinates function in basecamp.
Ensure the locate coordinates function is set to lat/lon hddd'mm.mmm'

What sort of business enterprises are you looking for in BaseCamp or for that matter on any other Garmin route creation software?

Google (along with its associated maps) is a vast database, linking together millions upon millions of websites and locations. BaseCamp is not. It is though excellent route plotting software, creating routes easily, which can then be reliably transferred into a Garmin GPS device.

If you prefer the functions of Google / Google maps - and their ability to link into route planning software - over Garmin software, I'd maybe recommend a switch to a TomTom or perhaps use of Tyre. Alternatively, maybe have a look at Open Street Maps (OSM). Their database differs from Garmin's, bettering it in some ways. It's easy to install OSM maps into BaseCamp or Mapsource and / or into a Garmin GPS device and it's fully searchable for anything other than post codes. Similarly, it's easy to drag an OSM waypoint (say, a hotel or car park) straight into a BaseCamp or Mapsource route.

A useful enough thread. I have edited it a bit and created a separate sticky.

I tend to us the OSM maps which have much more detail than the Garmin versions, no post code search though. My wife often needs postcode search on her car Garmin so uses Garmin mapping, but she has found difficulty finding several locations she needed to drive to. We have found that these locations exist on the OSM maps so (using Mapsource)I make a waypoint from the OSM map and then switch to the Garmin map to prepare a route. This works every time.

John

Having had Garmins for 15 years, its a bit of a love hate relationship.
Basecamp search is truly awful. Roads and places that are clearly in the DB can be a real challenge to find via the search.

One option is to plan you route in google maps, and then use https://mapstogpx.com/ to export a gpx, which you can then import into basecamp and play around with.

As jimbo says the search function in Basecamp is truly broke.

Don't rely on it.

As jimbo says the search function in Basecamp is truly broke.

Don't rely on it.

It has always been rubbish, just one of the reasons I use Mapsource. Those not using Macs could use Mapsource to find places, save them to a .gpx file and then import them into Basecamp. Far better than using Google maps which may not match the mapping used on your device. Mapsource is still available to download from the Garmin website, it says it's an update that requires a previous version of Mapsource but it loads a full version of Mapsource as long as you already have Basecamp. On my traveling laptop which has limited memory I deleted Basecamp once I had Mapsource and that works perfectly.

John

I created seven routes for Portugal last night, using BaseCamp on a Mac. I found the search function worked well.

What sort of business enterprises are you looking for in BaseCamp or for that matter on any other Garmin route creation software?

In this case hotels and campsites.

Annan Road, Gretna Green, DG16 5DL, United Kingdom

Seems like a reasonable address

Basecamp gives me.

Annan Road Post Office
N55° 04.226' W3° 35.767'

Which is fine, but not what I acutally want and interestingly - Not the 2 Caledan road I can get to with the sat nav- post code - search.

Really Amusingly, it's not the Hunters Lodge Hotel, which eventually comes up on the Sat Nav if I do a poi search.

So perhaps (and I'm happy to learn and hopefully we all get a better understanding of searching) I'm better off doing a business name search first.

But for lots of the campsites I'm looking for, they don't come up with the name, or the address is vague..

Google maps, just finds it, which if I could right click and create a gpx.

Second example.

Need some fuel for the stoves (can't get it posted for some places)
So will try and visit go outdoors, Notthingham (not a new store)
go outdoors, nottingham,ng5 6bp
Nope.

Address -
Mansfield Road, Arnold, Nottingham,
NG5 6BP

Gives me Mansfield Road Baptist Churs Sherwood Rise - NG51 ...now where near the go out doors shop..seems to pick up the firsrt part not intelligently search.

You can go advanced, and sometimes this does work with an address, but not always.

Last edited by a moderator:
So i take that the method posted above using google maps and basecamp combined is a no goer for you, as an answer to the question, (Quote) has anyone got an easy way to find somewhere in google maps and transfer that as a waypoint to base camp?. it at least gives you an easy work around.

I created seven routes for Portugal last night, using BaseCamp on a Mac. I found the search function worked well.

I agree. I centre the area of map I'm searching to the middle screen & zoom in & if it's there it will find it.
I think we're all spoilt with the excellent searching capabilities of Google & expecting them to be similar.
I expect all these POI's pay to be included on these maps so Google is always going to be miles ahead of Garmin.

I expect all these POI's pay to be included on these maps so Google is always going to be miles ahead of Garmin.

Then you expect wrong! We never paid anything to Garmin or Google to have our hotel on their database. Google are far more likely to be looking for payment.

John

Scorp888 your example above for the hotel Hunters lodge, basecamp actually gives the coordinates as N54' 59.720 W3' 03.854 which if you look on google maps street view is right at the entrance to the drive of the hotel. seems acurate enough to me.

Scorp888 your example above for the hotel Hunters lodge, basecamp actually gives the coordinates as N54' 59.720 W3' 03.854 which if you look on google maps street view is right at the entrance to the drive of the hotel. seems acurate enough to me.

And you don't have to fiddle around with co ordinates, just make it a waypoint. I found Hunters Lodge and the campsite easily using the search in Mapsource.

John

I did not fiddle with coordinates, the hotel is already a POI and in the list in basecamp, i was just looking at the coordinates to see if it was the same as on google and why it was different than Scorp888 version,

I did not fiddle with coordinates, the hotel is already a POI and in the list in basecamp, i was just looking at the coordinates to see if it was the same as on google and why it was different than Scorp888 version,

I didn't think you did but was making the point because so many people don't appear to know that most hotels, for instance, are already in the database. I lost count of the number of people who came to our hotel that had no idea they had only to search for "lodgings" in our village to come up with an exact destination.

John

There again, John, several guests in your hotel failed to locate it as their GPS device sent them to an island in the Mediterranean. Some things not even Garmin can allow for. Good to know that Garmin had the hotel pinpointed correctly, either way.

Back on track:

Just out of boredom, I asked BaseCamp to search for British postcodes. It found them all with remarkable reliability. For my own central London postcode that covers 17 properties, it displayed property number one and, separately, number 17.

A real mountain-out-of-a-molehill thread :nenau

How on earth did Neanderthal man get about without Google and Garmin POIs?

Back
Top Bottom