PDA

View Full Version : Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

Pages : [1] 2

Warlord
17-04-17, 05:53
I've used a Drift Helmet Camera in the past but got fed up of uploading, editing and storing video content. Its just too time consuming.

But on the Navigator 6 it suggests I can connect multiple (front and rear) Garmin Virb XE Cameras, and then control them from my Satnav Screen.

I'm thinking of live streaming or video storage on a loop. Safety reasons mainly in the event of an emergency where video footage would be useful. Or for mini tours so family can see what Im up to.

What also appeals to me is..

A) I can connect my helmet Bluetooth microphone (Scala G4 ??).

B) I can connect cameras to bike battery so dont have to keep charging them (or remembering to)

C) If I wanted, I can live stream video content via mobile phone.

Anyone doing this already on BMW GS using Garmin Navigator.

Thanks for any useful feedback.

snaponphil
17-04-17, 11:55
Wow, expensive these cameras to wire up & leave connected, perfect opportunity for a thief to have a great day methinks..

Does the Nav 6 control any other cameras.?

EVskij
17-04-17, 12:34

Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Popell
17-04-17, 13:17
Use my Garmin 390 to control my Virb Elite.

However, if you want it to simply loop as a just in case, the GPS equipped Virb (mine is the older version so not sure if the XE has gps), you can have it autostart record when moving.

I guess the disadvantage is that it also automatically ceases when you stop - might miss the action and/or confessions of guilt

Warlord
17-04-17, 13:23
Wow, expensive these cameras to wire up & leave connected, perfect opportunity for a thief to have a great day methinks..

I think its just a mini USB connector wire. Easily unplugged when temporarily removing cameras.

I dont know about the waterproofing when wired to the battery?

snaponphil
17-04-17, 21:42
Nope

Big shame.. I'll wait till they add a pairing option with other cameras..
I like Garmin Sat Navs as I'm used to the configuration, but would stray for more control..

Warlord
01-05-17, 22:14
Right, having done some research I'm going for it.

I've decided to order a Garmin Virb XE camera (front facing on my bike at 1080p / 60 FPS) and the lower specced Garmin Virb X for rear facing 1080p / 30 FPS.

They will be hard wired into my new HEX EZCAN device on the aux channel. My new Aux Lights on left and right channel and the remaining channel for extra rear brake lights.

The Garmin cameras will have 128GB memory cards on a loop recording and paired together with the front camera (host) rear camera (slave).

The front/rear video footage is GPS timestamped and will auto syncronise.

Now the clever stuff.... the cameras are paired also to my Bmw Navigator VI satnav. I can use the screen for recording on/off etc.

But... it should also upload the bikes telemetry data in sync with the video recordings. How much data I dont know yet, but playback should be epic, showing video footage, GPS, speed, revs, altitude, heart rate... tons of stuff.

Also, the Sat Nav is paired to my phone which is paired to my Bluetooth headset in helmet. So audio from microphone should be overlaid onto camera footage.

All with no wires!!

Cool (if I got my info right and if it works).

snaponphil
01-05-17, 22:27

I've decided to order a Garmin Virb XE camera (front facing on my bike at 1080p / 60 FPS) and the lower specced Garmin Virb X for rear facing 1080p / 30 FPS.

They will be hard wired into my new HEX EZCAN device on the aux channel. My new Aux Lights on left and right channel and the remaining channel for extra rear brake lights.

The Garmin cameras will have 128GB memory cards on a loop recording and paired together with the front camera (host) rear camera (slave).

Now the clever stuff.... the cameras are paired also to my Bmw Navigator VI satnav. I can use the screen for recording on/off etc.

But... it should also upload the bikes telemetry data in sync with the video recordings. How much data I dont know yet, but playback should be epic, showing video footage, GPS, speed, revs, altitude, heart rate... tons of stuff.

Also, the Sat Nav is paired to my phone which is paired to my Bluetooth headset in helmet. So audio from microphone should be overlaid onto camera footage.

All with no wires!!

Cool.. price of cameras.? Where from.?

Flaming T
01-05-17, 22:30
AWESOME... [emoji1303]

fredaroony
01-05-17, 23:10
hrmm keen to see how you set these up on the bike. I've had nothing but charging issues lately with my GoPro's.

BigAlEly
02-05-17, 07:47
this is all something that i am considering... please keep us up to date with how you get on, Warlord.... mind, i need to buy the lot, including the HEX EZCAN... going to cost much wonga, me thinks :D

Warlord
02-05-17, 09:36
this is all something that i am considering... please keep us up to date with how you get on, Warlord.... mind, i need to buy the lot, including the HEX EZCAN... going to cost much wonga, me thinks :D

Should be a good project.

I spoke with Garmin UK this morning to confirm and provide information on some of my unanswered questions.

a) It appears that everything I can get on my Nav VI device, can be scraped into video footage. ie RPM, Speed, GPS Location, Engine Temp, Tyre Pressures etc... Garmin seemed confident this can be easily done through their integration and latest video editing software. However, just how much stuff I can scrape onto the final video remains to be seen. Good if it can do things like Gear Position, Lean Angle, RPM, etc... but not sure until I get it set up.

b) Your Nav VI Screen will not display the video footage, you need to pair a Smart Phone for this feature.

c) Garmin recommend their Rugged 10 Meter Power Cable to connect to power source on bike. But I might see if we can utilise the existing charging cable with USB connector to HEX EZCAN twin USB port? Need to play around with this to avoid Garmin Cable prices.

d) You can pair two Garmin Virb units with different frame rate settings and still merge the footage into final edit (ie Virb X at 30 FPS and Virb XE at 60 FPS), which is what I thought but wanted to check.

e) Camera's can be set up for a rolling recording in time slots. Example, 15 minute recording segments until end of memory on card, then starts from beginning overwriting oldest files first. So that's ideal on a 128GB card as should last a while.

Warlord
15-05-17, 13:20
Right.. my GSA Battleship is getting close to being completed now with all my mods.

The Hex EzCan is due to arrive today or tomorrow.

I'm about to order two Garmin Virb XE cameras.

One front facing fitted on a Garmin/GoPro compatible fixed aluminium bracket.

But any suggestions where I could mount a rear facing arse camera? :augie

stephen.stallebrass
15-05-17, 13:46
On the topbox or attached to the frames would be my bet.

I got myself one of them Wunderlich copies from China but it aint gonna fit with the Touratech mesh guard so I'll have to modify it somehow. I might just cut the supporting arm off, I reckon it'll be fine without it.

Keep us informed and pics would be great. Looking at the Virb XE (front and rear) set up myself with the Hex EzCan (with extra spot lights and horn).

Warlord
15-05-17, 13:50
On the topbox or attached to the frames would be my bet.

I got myself one of them Wunderlich copies from China but it aint gonna fit with the Touratech mesh guard so I'll have to modify it somehow. I might just cut the supporting arm off, I reckon it'll be fine without it.

Keep us informed and pics would be great. Looking at the Virb XE (front and rear) set up myself with the Hex EzCan (with extra spot lights and horn).

No dont cut off the whole arm, I got the same, it fits. File down the end hook bit on the arm.

I bought the cheap alloy black frame from China. Covered it in Carbon Vinyl Wrap and used a blade to carefully cut out the holes.

Yes you are right it doesn't fit with a Touratech Headlight Guard, but I filed off the end of the stabilizing arm, so the 'hook' was 4mm longer (I eventually just broke it off, to be honest). This then allows the arm to reach those 3mm longer for the silver spacers to fit properly. Its works.

The stabilising arm just wedges behind the securing bolt anyways so it isnt going anywhere.

Warlord
15-05-17, 14:02
Pics of cheap Chinese Mount with Carbon Vinyl trimmed to suit.

I thread locked and Super Glued the Go-Pro mount onto the bracket to make absolutely sure it doesn't fall off.

Good price at 25 delivered :thumb2

The Carbon Vinyl suits the colour of the bike as well. Looks good.

stephen.stallebrass
15-05-17, 17:31
Pics of cheap Chinese Mount with Carbon Vinyl trimmed to suit.

I thread locked and Super Glued the Go-Pro mount onto the bracket to make absolutely sure it doesn't fall off.

Good price at 25 delivered :thumb2

The Carbon Vinyl suits the colour of the bike as well. Looks good.

Ahh good to know. I'll give it another go at some point then. I'll probably just need to loosen up the head light guard arms and jiggle it about bit. I was thinking the same re the bolt.

Warlord
15-05-17, 17:46
Ahh good to know. I'll give it another go at some point then. I'll probably just need to loosen up the head light guard arms and jiggle it about bit. I was thinking the same re the bolt.

Yep that'll do it.

Daxaar
15-05-17, 20:47

This could be useful as I've conceded that recording trips is all too much of a hassle. I just end up with hours of footage that I can't relate to when watching it back later for editing. Being able to easily overlay an updating map (google etc) would be amazing.

If the cameras also came with a free editing monkey I'd definitely in! :D

Warlord
15-05-17, 20:56
This could be useful as I've conceded that recording trips is all too much of a hassle. I just end up with hours of footage that I can't relate to when watching it back later for editing. Being able to easily overlay an updating map (google etc) would be amazing.

If the cameras also came with a free editing monkey I'd definitely in! :D

Yes thats my opinion.

I've got a helmet mounted camera that I bought in 2012. Got some great footage but became tired of constantly editing hours of footage. And trying to store Terrabytes of crap only your elderly Mum would want to watch.

I've got to the point now where I just want front and rear 'evidence' footage that I can call upon, or download epic moments.

In addition to that, the bikes telemetry data overlay might be extremely useful for 'Associate' advanced training.

Information, Position, Speed, Gear, Revs all overlaid onto footage would be great to use, especially when showing examples of wheelies.. er no... erm, overtakes.

Garmin provide free editing software also.

bogey
27-05-17, 14:49
Hi,

I am very interested in a set up like this for all the reasons given. Be grateful if you post up how you get on with it once you get it up and running!

Warlord
13-06-17, 19:01
Ok, time for an update.

Firstly sorry for the delay, its been a busy month.

I finally ended up getting a couple of second hand Garmin Virb camera's. One being a Virb XE and one being a Virb X.

The main reason I wanted the Virb XE and X are that they are WATERPROOF and they can be HARD WIRED TO POWER.

I ride in all weather so waterproof is mission critical.

I never remember to charge batteries, so hard wired is also critical.

I'm not bothered with 4K video quality as I don't want Terrabytes of data on my laptop.

So here it is fitted and hard wired using a 10M Garmin Rugged Cable. I've connected it directly to my HEX EZCAN power controller.

Warlord
13-06-17, 19:05
Now the reason I chose the Garmin Virb XE and X camera's is because Garmin collect data, which can be overlaid onto the video footage.

Garmin as standard have Templates which you can drag and drop.

You'll get things like GPS speed, GPS location, Motion (accelleration, G-force etc), Date and Time.

Which is really cool stuff like in the picture below.

Warlord
13-06-17, 19:08
But I'd also heard on the grapevine that these Garmin Virb XE and X models can also connect to OBD2 ELM327 Bluetooth devices.

This means you can connect it to your BMW R1200GS OBD2 Port and suck lots of really juicy data out of the bikes ECU, AS YOU RIDE ALONG.

So I bought this one off Amazon.co.uk last night, which arrived today and I connected it up.

It took about 10 attempts as for some reason the Bluetooth Search on the Garmin Virb XE couldn't find it.

But after repeated attempts it did find it, and it now connects everytime without trouble.

I fitted it to the OBD2 port and put it in a waterproof bag (upside down) to protect it from water ingress.

Warlord
13-06-17, 19:09
So now ladies and gentlemen, once the Garmin Virb XE is connected up, and the OBD2 Bluetooth data reader is connected.

I get this on my video footage !!!

Actual Speed, Engine Revs, Engine Temperature, Engine Load, Intake Temperatures, Elevation, Lean Angle, Throttle Position.... all live from the bike

Its absolutely ace.

Warlord
13-06-17, 19:17
Now some of the really clever stuff I found out while setting up this lot.

The Garmin Virb XE can be set to RECORD ON, RECORD OFF, and TAKE PICTURE all from the BMW Navigator VI. Its really handy having the Sat Nav screen as a remote control device.

BUT,

NOW THE KILLER APP.

As I've got the Garmin Video XE set up with live power direct from the bike. When the bike gets turned off it automatically switches over to Virb Battery Power.

This means the Camera can remain switched on while the bike is turned off.

Reason this is brilliant is the GARMIN PHONE APP.

The Garmin Phone App connects to the Garmin Camera via BlueTooth and your can watch the Camera View from your phone up to 100 meters away !

I was in McDonalds at the table, with my Bike parked outside, and I watched all my mates ride in, park up, and walk through the door... On my phone !

Its like remote survailance. I know that might not sound very exciting, but all my mates thought that was just brilliant, and put my phone on the table and we could see all the bikes were safe as we had a direct view on the phone in front of us.

fredaroony
13-06-17, 19:18
Just be aware that most of those adapters will stay on when they ignition is off. The OBDlink LX and MX have a feature where they turn off when the battery gets to a certain voltage

Warlord
13-06-17, 19:21
What do you think? :beerjug:

Warlord
13-06-17, 19:24
Just be aware that most of those adapters will stay on when they ignition is off. The OBDlink LX and MX have a feature where they turn off when the battery gets to a certain voltage

Yes mine does stay on thats right.

Now I know it works and that I can see how good it is, I'll upgrade my OBD2 device at some point.. I only paid 11 for it.

My bike is on Optimate at home, so I won't worry to much in the meantime.

fredaroony
13-06-17, 19:27

I think it's bloody awesome. Personally I'd like to mount the camera in a different location but not sure where else it would fit.

fredaroony
13-06-17, 19:28
Yes mine does stay on thats right.

Now I know it works and that I can see how good it is, I'll upgrade my OBD2 device at some point.. I only paid 11 for it.

My bike is on Optimate at home, so I won't worry to much in the meantime.

Well then you can buy the Motoscan app too and use it like a GS911 so that's an added bonus

Warlord
13-06-17, 19:32
I think it's bloody awesome. Personally I'd like to mount the camera in a different location but not sure where else it would fit.

Cheers, I was very happy when I got home to click through all the extra OBD2 data fields.

Oh and if the graphs are two large or wrong colors, you can also change all that. Lots of options in Garmin Virb Edit software.

I wonder if I paid more for a better OBD2 device if I would get more data field options?

fredaroony
13-06-17, 19:55
Cheers, I was very happy when I got home to click through all the extra OBD2 data fields.

Oh and if the graphs are two large or wrong colors, you can also change all that. Lots of options in Garmin Virb Edit software.

I wonder if I paid more for a better OBD2 device if I would get more data field options?

I had an Ebay cheapy I tested it with and most of it worked except the service reset on the motoscan app. Not sure what else you would get with your application

Big advantage would be you could leave it attached on the bike and not have to worry about the battery being drained

Oldrat
13-06-17, 20:19
I'm impressed Steve, very impressed.
You might need to fit an erase button in case of mistakes should you ever get a pull. :aidan

All this electrickery is very clever stuff. Good effort m8y you could start a business setting up syatems for numpties like me. :bow

:thumb

Warlord
13-06-17, 20:37
I'm impressed Steve, very impressed.
You might need to fit an erase button in case of mistakes should you ever get a pull. :aidan

All this electrickery is very clever stuff. Good effort m8y you could start a business setting up syatems for numpties like me. :bow

:thumb

I already have a business haha. This is supposed to be my hobby :P

But thank you, I've liked how this is turning out :thumb:thumb2

Anyways, on the camera you can set it up on a rolling 5, 10, 20 or 30 minute recording file.

So if you have a notable experience, you can simply stop recording, and restart a new 30 minute file.

If someone pulls you over, just leave the camera recording. It'll overwrite anything older than 30 minutes anyway unless you start a new file.

If you want it to just record everything, then you'll have 10 Hours 30 Minutes worth on a 128GB MicroSD Card. Which is plenty for a days riding.

Lots of options basically, but just TURN OFF the recording via the Navigator VI screen if you want to go for a blast with the hills and sheep. Up to you.

Warlord
13-06-17, 21:05
I've been flicking through the Virb Edit Software settings, and the OBD2 settings.

I've managed to increase the RPM Range to 9000 now, which suits our bikes.

I've changed to Statute MPH, Feet, Celsius, UK Gallons etc. But I can't change the date format from American to UK DD/MM/YYYY. argh, it'll only do MM/DD/YYYY.

That's a shame. As everything else can be tweeked

ymfb
13-06-17, 21:07
I now have the bracket and camera, might try and assemble it all tomorrow.

Warlord
13-06-17, 21:09
I now have the bracket and camera, might try and assemble it all tomorrow.

I've still got to set up the bracket and rear facing Garmin Virb X at some point.

Then both camera's will be synchronised 'Master' and 'Slave' so the footage will be GPS time linked.

Flaming T
14-06-17, 10:07

OMG :eek:, that is amazing and the footage looks so clear as well. Not a bad idea to have a 'surveillance' mode for those times you (and your mates) are parked up for a break. Technology knows no boundaries.:clap:bow:beerjug::thumb2

Dax_Hewitt
14-06-17, 10:32
Cracking set up but not for me.
Far too easy to incriminate myself with all that data on tap.
The police are very good at sizing sat navs, cameras and home computers to build evidence.

bogey
14-06-17, 19:44
Hi,
Looks like a great set up and exactly what I have been hoping to get set up. Thanks for this thread. Just wondering where you picked up the cameras and how much they cost?? Did the Garmin power cable come with the cameras or did you have to by them separately.

Also are you limited to two cameras?, was just thinking if you could sync a helmet mounted camera as well you would have a very complete record/view of everything going on, do you know this would be possible??

Thanks & Regards
B

Warlord
15-06-17, 07:34
Cracking set up but not for me.
Far too easy to incriminate myself with all that data on tap.
The police are very good at sizing sat navs, cameras and home computers to build evidence.

That's an understandable reaction from most motorcyclists I guess but remember you have a RECORD OFF button if you really are a bad boy.

But remember all that evidence on camera also assists you in an accident or incident, whereby your side of the story is there in full High Definition.

So its a balance, the recordings are there when you need it, and off when you don't want it.

If you set it up to record on a loop, you only ever have the last 5 minutes recorded anyway.

If you are that paranoid, remember the Police can gather all that Telemetry data directly from the motorcycle anyway, and your Mobile Phone, and the Sat Nav, and all the other vehicles you passed or in the group that have video footage.

Times are changing and Dash Cams are everywhere now. Join the revolution or fail haha

Warlord
15-06-17, 07:40
Hi,
Looks like a great set up and exactly what I have been hoping to get set up. Thanks for this thread. Just wondering where you picked up the cameras and how much they cost?? Did the Garmin power cable come with the cameras or did you have to by them separately.

Also are you limited to two cameras?, was just thinking if you could sync a helmet mounted camera as well you would have a very complete record/view of everything going on, do you know this would be possible??

Thanks & Regards
B

Ok good questions.

Garmin (for some absolutely unknown reason) have now discontinued the Garmin Virb XE and X products??? Nuts.

You can still pick them up from retailers that have them in stock, or on eBay. Price varies so shop around.

The newer current model is the Virb Ultra 30, which is 4K. It isn't waterproof as standard unless its in a waterproof case. If its in the waterproof case it cannot be wired directly to the bike. So its bloody useless for all weather unless you want to keep switching batteries every hour? Thats great for some people but a) I never remember to charge the batteries, and b) where do you store all these batteries, and c) its a proper pain in the arse mid ride to keep changing batteries.

The cables I used are Garmin 10M Rugged Cables (Cut down to size). They are cables that you buy separately.

Yes, I do believe you can add more camera's but please don't rely on my information as I'm not a Garmin employee or a Garmin expert. I'm just doing this as a hobby, so go ahead and find out, post it on this thread to help everyone else.

Warlord
15-06-17, 07:42
Couple of other pictures from yesterdays ride.

Just for your interest, I added a feature that shows a graph of Altitude, so you get an idea of gradients on my ride.

This is LIVE and the dot moves along the line as you ride it, showing altitude in Feet or Meters.

NOTE: Notice the temps are now in Centigrade and the Revs are 12000 RPM max, the Speedo and Rev Counter is dynamic to cover the range used in the video clip (so if you on track doing 200 mph and 12000 RPM, it'll show that range used plus extra in the graphs.

I'll put together some video footage on YouTube soon, once I've finished messing about with the settings. :thumb2

Warlord
15-06-17, 07:53
By the way, all these graphs and readings I'm overlaying onto my video's are not custom programming from me.

I'm just simply dragging and dropping these charts onto my video's in the free Garmin Virb Edit software that you download.

No programming or special knowledge needed.

You can resize the Graphs, Change Colours, Change Ranges, position them wherever you want... lots of flexibility and options.

Joe narvey
15-06-17, 08:11
How long before someone captures the images that are used to prosecute them?

Tim4speed
15-06-17, 08:30
Also, if set to over recorded, will all your footage of that accident you just had be wiped out as your laying in the road?

Tim4speed
15-06-17, 08:31
Brilliant set up though!

Warlord
15-06-17, 09:24
Also, if set to over recorded, will all your footage of that accident you just had be wiped out as your laying in the road?

I haven't got as far as this part yet. But I seem to remember there being a G-Force (write protect) system in place, whereby the camera automatically saves that file and moves onto a new file after a significant G-Force is noted. Like a slamdown, or sudden stop.

So your files, in theory, should be protected

Warlord
15-06-17, 09:27
How long before someone captures the images that are used to prosecute them?

If the Police don't witness it first hand or using their own authorised kit, they can't legally go 'fishing' for evidence. They have no legal right to stop you at roadside and start flicking through your camera footage unless they give you the exact reason of which law you've broken and how the video footage would support their evidence.

If they do witness anything law breaking first hand, you're fooked anyways, as it'll be supported by their own kit.

The Police won't have any interest in you or your kit unless you are doing something absolutely stupid, dangerous or actually kill someone.

If a riders Modus Operandi is being a twat, then they can turn the video recording off and wait for natural selection to claim them? Because it will.

Simples

Warlord
15-06-17, 09:41
Brilliant set up though!

Thanks I like it :D

stevekdavis
15-06-17, 10:02
where is the OBD2 port on a 2017 GSA? - I'm interested in this as a have a Virb Ultra 30

Warlord
15-06-17, 10:14
where is the ODB2 port on a 2017 GSA? - I'm interested in this as a have a Virb Ultra 30

Its alongside your bike battery.

Offside, remove bike battery panel cover, its then on a hook holder sitting next to your battery with a shrouded wire attached to it.

Press the hook back to remove it from its holder.

Remove the protective cover clipped onto the end of it and there you go.

The Nutty KTMer
19-06-17, 17:01
Looks good.:thumb

What was the total cost of the setup, excluding the Nav 6? And how long did it take to install?

Warlord
19-06-17, 20:49
Looks good.:thumb

What was the total cost of the setup, excluding the Nav 6? And how long did it take to install?

Optional Equipment Total = 890.63

BMW Navigator VI = 675
HEX EZCan = 215.63 (includes shipping and import tax)

The Navigator VI also acts as a remote control recording On/Off. The HEX EZCan powers the camera's in a controlled way (keeps power on even after bike is turned off). But all this isn't needed.

Project Equipment Total = 610.93 (for two camera's and associated accessories)

R1200GS Camera Mount from China = 24.99
Garmin Virb XE Camera & Internal Battery = 250
Garmin Virb X Camera & Internal Battery = 160
Garmin Virb Editing Software = Free of Charge
2 x 128GB MicroSD Class 10 memory cards = 113.98
2 x Garmin Virb Rugged 10 Meter Cables = 49.98
LUJII Mini OBD2 ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth Scanner = 11.98

But if you just want a single front facing camera that will reduce your costs a lot. I've set it up for front and rear.

It was very quick and easy to install. Front Camera takes as long as it takes to mount it on the bike.

Connecting to Navigator VI is almost instant. Then just configure the camera for the settings you want and off you go.

Routing the Rugged Cable through the bike to the rear HEX EZCan was straight forward as well and wires direct.

Setting up the OBD2 Scanner takes around 2 minutes. Once connected it connects every time and the data is automatically uploaded with the video footage for the editing tool

The Nutty KTMer
20-06-17, 06:31
Thanks for the breakdown. Although a very comprehensive solution, that's more than I'd like to spend at the moment.

As I've got more than one bike, does anyone know if there's a helmet mounted bullet cam out there, with front and rear facing cameras?

Warlord
20-06-17, 06:45
Thanks for the breakdown. Although a very comprehensive solution, that's more than I'd like to spend at the moment.

As I've got more than one bike, does anyone know if there's a helmet mounted bullet cam out there, with front and rear facing cameras?

Nutty, have a look at the Garmin Virb 360 camera. (still expensive at around 650 though)

Its a full 360 degree (front and rear camera digitally stitched together).

You will still get your telemetry data overlay, and it'll show footage of ALL AROUND YOU, which is great.

Whats really cool about it, is when you watch the video you can scroll around the screen and view any angle you want.

Have a look on YouTube and use your finger or mouse to scroll around the video screen while its playing. Its like being a passenger in the video lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAyThCWKc50

Camel Toe
21-06-17, 14:29
Cracking job Warlord....I'm in. Don't tell the Mrs...

Warlord
21-06-17, 16:01
Cracking job Warlord....I'm in. Don't tell the Mrs...

Haha thank you.

Hopefully, collectively, we can build on this idea.

If anyone using this system finds new creative suggestions, please tell !!

Warlord
21-06-17, 16:03
Also, what will you be using the footage and telemetry data for?

Leisure / holiday?
Training?
Work related?
Safety?

Whats your plan?

Camel Toe
22-06-17, 08:30
Also, what will you be using the footage and telemetry data for?

Training?
Work related?
Safety?

Whats your plan?
I'm using it for all sorts of things but mainly for the tours I take to Morocco... I currently use GoPro,s but I like the idea of controlling the vibe from nav6.. the number of times I have my go pro on and nothing to film so as soon as I turn it off something appears and I miss it.....hopefully I won't have that problem any longer as I've ordered one from amazon..294.
Very informative write up you did..many thanks...

Warlord
23-06-17, 07:50
Ok, so I went out on an evening country ride on Wednesday with some friends and associates.

Video isn't spectacular in location or event, but I just wanted to show what the telemetry data looks like on the move.

It'll give you an idea what to expect when you decide to upload your bike data onto the Garmin Virb camera's

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bUliVCD8rXQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Warlord
23-06-17, 08:05
Here's a short video of me going over The Mynd in Church Stretton (Shropshire - England).

Its around 1000 feet decent, but video footage doesn't show that easily, so I added an elevation metric to the data.

You can swap and change the graphs, depending on your footage and what you want to show the viewer.

Imagine this data on your most epic journeys through mountains etc.

The Inlet Temperatures show the environment temps as they are the same. So in Winter when its minus 10, you'll be able to see that.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jIjfpCHeHoQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Warlord
23-06-17, 08:31
As the viewer, do you think the video's are more involving for you with the telemetry data on screen?

What do you think?

Fat Biker 66
23-06-17, 13:12
:bow:bow:bow:bow

Warlord - Have to admit bloody jealous. Not tech person but really liked it. Wish my drift set up could do this. I like the Telem on screen.

Minor niggle for me would alt graph on mid left. Would want that rather than alt figure and distance numbers down below.

Great set up! If SWMBO will let me have the cash may be PM for further advice and copying it. Well done

Warlord
23-06-17, 13:20
:bow:bow:bow:bow

Warlord - Have to admit bloody jealous. Not tech person but really liked it. Wish my drift set up could do this. I like the Telem on screen.

Minor niggle for me would alt graph on mid left. Would want that rather than alt figure and distance numbers down below.

Great set up! If SWMBO will let me have the cash may be PM for further advice and copying it. Well done

Like this??

Fat Biker 66
23-06-17, 13:26
:thumby::thumby::thumby:

Warlord
23-06-17, 13:35
:thumby::thumby::thumby:

Ok, it took 30 seconds to change that.

Took 9 minutes or so to render and upload it to YouTube.

Take a look, see what you think?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7psPyiDqlsc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Camel Toe
23-06-17, 13:47
Verb arrives today......brace ya self for a thousand questions.....:bow:bow

Warlord
23-06-17, 13:58
Verb arrives today......brace ya self for a thousand questions.....:bow:bow

Have a play with it first, it's very self explanatory.

Get the Virb Edit Software on your Laptop or PC and have a good play around with the Gauges.

If you want bike specific Telemetry data get an OBD2 ELM327 Bluetooth connector (the one I used cost 11 off Amazon)

Camel Toe
23-06-17, 14:05
:beerjug:

Warlord
23-06-17, 15:04

.. and then fire the 10 or so questions left at me :D :D :D

Warlord
23-06-17, 15:21

Get a cheap second hand Garmin Virb X or Virb XE off eBay. 160? or less?

Get a cheap memory MicroSD Card. 30

Garmin Virb Edit Software is free.

OBD2 ELM327 Bluetooth sensor is 11 for OBD2 enabled BMW Bikes. (not sure what you would need for older bikes)

200 your doing everything I'm doing.

bogey
23-06-17, 19:49
I really like it, actually I like it that much I have a Verb XE on the way. Now all I got to do is sell my Navigator V, get a Navigator VI, get a Verb X, Get the OBD2 ELM327 Bluetooth Sensor, brackets as required and set t all up. Unfortunately it will be one step at a time but the project is underway.

Now look what you done!

Regards B

Warlord
23-06-17, 20:09
I really like it, actually I like it that much I have a Verb XE on the way. Now all I got to do is sell my Navigator V, get a Navigator VI, get a Verb X, Get the OBD2 ELM327 Bluetooth Sensor, brackets as required and set t all up. Unfortunately it will be one step at a time but the project is underway.

Now look what you done!

Regards B

You sure the Nav V doesn't connect? I thought it did with the Virb X and Virb XE

Camel Toe
23-06-17, 22:02
Got the camera delivered today....feels like a good bit of kit. Is the connection for the charging wire waterproof as I assume that is where the hard wire will be attached..??

ymfb
23-06-17, 22:36
Anyone found the proper manual for the VIRB XE ? If so would you be so kind as to putting up a link.

Thanks

Snow White
24-06-17, 04:53
It looks great, with very clear and stable footage giving the appearance to be very professional. Would like to do something like that, but as I only have a 2012 bike not an option at this time.

My only feedback would can you get the gear position to show?
And throttle appears to be permanently at 11%?? :augie

But keep up the testing :thumb

Wreford Miles
24-06-17, 05:35
I'm not into cameras on bikes... but I am into the bloody clever stuff that peeps on this site get up to :D

Warlord
24-06-17, 05:41
I bought a Garmin Rugged cable which is waterproof.

I'm not sure if the USB charging cable is waterproof, you'll need to check thst one.

Warlord
24-06-17, 05:43
Anyone found the proper manual for the VIRB XE ? If so would you be so kind as to putting up a link.

Thanks

Download the Garmin PC App. It'll allow you to register the product and allow you to download the user manual.

Warlord
24-06-17, 05:47
My only feedback would can you get the gear position to show?
And throttle appears to be permanently at 11%?? :augie

But keep up the testing :thumb

I'm going to work on the gear position.

Throttle is weird at 11% but maybe thats how the computer reads it with tickover?

Also, even at wide open throttle, the engine load is 100% but throttle registers 89%.

For some reason?

Warlord
24-06-17, 06:04
It looks great, with very clear and stable footage giving the appearance to be very professional. Would like to do something like that, but as I only have a 2012 bike not an option at this time

Are you sure about that?

Can't you get an OBD2 adapter or connect one in some way?

Warlord
24-06-17, 06:42
Wow, expensive these cameras to wire up & leave connected, perfect opportunity for a thief to have a great day me thinks..

Not much more expensive than other bolt on parts that can quickly be removed.

Like your plastic Mudsling, instrument panel, MRA X-Creen, Givi Panniers, Navigator... etc

Half the stuff on a GSA can be quickly unbolted or pulled off with the right tools.

Its like a mobile display rack as it is :D

Camel Toe
24-06-17, 06:46
I bought a Garmin Rugged cable which is waterproof.

I'm not sure if the USB charging cable is waterproof, you'll need to check thst one.

Is that waterproof where it attaches to camera ..??

Warlord
24-06-17, 06:47
Also, for those that download the Virb Phone App....

Remember you can remotely connect via your phone and view live footage from the cameras.

Great for remote surveillance

Warlord
24-06-17, 06:49
Is that waterproof where it attaches to camera ..??

Yes it is.

It has a rubber seal protecting the contact pins.

Camel Toe
24-06-17, 06:49
One little thing I don't like is when you stop for coffee or whatever you just pop open the GoPro case and take out the camera.....with the garmin you have to unbolt it .....

Warlord
24-06-17, 06:51
I think thats the 'rugged' part lol

Warlord
24-06-17, 06:54
One little thing I don't like is when you stop for coffee or whatever you just pop open the GoPro case and take out the camera.....with the garmin you have to unbolt it .....

There is a tether loop on it so it would be prudent to get a security wire attached. Saves it from disappearing down the road if bolt comes undone.

Warlord
24-06-17, 06:59
The key part for me was the Garmins ability to be Waterproof and connect a remote hard wire cable.

It allows perminent fixture in any weather and available at anytime I want it. The security isn't terrible as it can be fixed with a security bolt and tethered.

That had a higher priority for me than anything else.

Remembering to charge batteries and swap them over was too inconvenient for me.

Its what you prioritise I guess.

Jacal
24-06-17, 08:16
Anyone found out for sure if this can be used with the Nav 5 ?

Camel Toe
24-06-17, 11:19
The key part for me was the Garmins ability to be Waterproof and connect a remote hard wire cable.

It allows perminent fixture in any weather and available at anytime I want it. The security isn't terrible as it can be fixed with a security bolt and tethered.

Its what you prioritise I guess. to
Mmm....I like the camera so far...playing with it today....I have noticed that when the sat nav is on the pic / vid screen it loses connection a few times and then when I come to take a shot it has to be reconnected....
Are things like the tether and security bolt available from garmin ?
I assume the power cable also from garmin ?
I certainly needs to be wired in as the battery life is poor...strange considering the battery is double the size of a GoPro battery.

ymfb
24-06-17, 11:25
Download the Garmin PC App. It'll allow you to register the product and allow you to download the user manual.

Thanks, registered and added it tory Garmin Express and hey presto.

EVskij
24-06-17, 11:27

Its what you prioritise I guess.

Have you got any footage available to view?

Warlord
24-06-17, 13:28
Have you got any footage available to view?

Have a read back through this thread as I've posted footage examples.

Bails
25-06-17, 02:21

I am trying to get my mount sorted, I have all the bits like this but for the end connecting to the bike, wonder if you can point in the right direction?

Warlord
25-06-17, 08:08
I'm still in my testing phase with the Garmin Virb Camera's and have identified some issues.

1) The Gear Indicator on the motorcycle can't easily be read by the standard OBD2 ELM327 devices. Reason being the Gear Indicator is a Proprietary Parameter ID (PID). It's BMW Specific, not generic. So that's me stuffed unless I can find a way of building my own OBD2 ELM327 Bluetooth device which will scrape that data and connect to the Garmin Virb XE... sounds like a project?

2) My Telemetry data sometimes (and so far appears to be random) stops. It just disconnects? You can see it happen in my 'Oil on Road' video below

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LxMeHNusdAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

- A) I'm not sure if its engine heat related, so I've decided to buy an OBD2 1 meter extension cable and relocate the device under my seat. It literally just fits. So this should provide better water cover and reduce engine heat.

- B) I'm not sure if its timing out with the connection with the Virb XE (but I've discounted this as other videos show connections for 40 minutes plus...

- C) Its corrupt data. This could be plausible as my videos are setup to overwrite the file every 30 minutes. So if my file gets overwritten during its recording it could corrupt the data telemetry. So I'm going to turn off the Loop Recording option, and just let it run. 128GB MicroSD can handle 10 hours 30 minutes on a single card, so I'm good for lots of data.

See what happens.

Warlord
27-06-17, 20:27
So I've changed a couple of things recently.

I've moved the OBD2 Connector to under the seat, and changed the recording to 'Non Loop' and things have improved slightly, in that I now get the telemetry data on most of my files (regardless of duration).

However, midway through my days riding I noticed the OBD2 had completely been lost by my Garmin camera (it wasn't even listed in the Bluetooth connections). So I had to repair it and start over.

I think its going to be a weird intermittent connection loss. So worth checking every now and then if the data is important to your video footage. Pain as it is.

Anyways, I also swapped over my graphs on the video's, and straightened up my camera mount so it now shows 0 Degrees when stood up straight. I've added an 'acceleration and braking 'G' Force meter and an old fashioned 'odometer' which works in real time.

I think the new graph layout is more intuitive with the throttle readings on the right hand side (as in real life). :thumb2

Warlord
27-06-17, 20:32
But here's the big change for today.

I got around to fitting my rear view camera as a 'slave' unit to the front 'master' unit.

This means it'll do whatever the front camera is doing.

So when I use my Navigator VI Sat Nav screen as a remote 'Record On' it now turns BOTH camera's on. The video footage is then synchronised by GPS Time Stamp so its really easy for editing later on.

Bloody clever set up if you ask me :thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Warlord
27-06-17, 20:33
Some more pics with tidy wires

Warlord
27-06-17, 20:35
I'll get some footage up shortly, flicking between front and rear camera as I ride along.

All looks good so far. The only downside is I can't connect my OBD2 to the second camera, as its already connected to the front camera.

But I might be able to upload the Telemetry data and overlay it onto the rear camera (with different Graph View, appropriate to the viewing angle).

More playing needed.

Warlord
27-06-17, 20:41
Oh, and the rear camera 'JUST' fits in nicely with the GIVI pannier racks and side panniers in place. So no need to remove it on tour.

Blackal
28-06-17, 01:46
Top effort! :thumb

Al

Flaming T
28-06-17, 06:53
Mighty impressive set up Warlord made even better by the step by step thread that you have kept going. [emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376]

Oldrat
28-06-17, 07:30
Great work Steve. Well beyond my skills to set up though.:beerjug:

BTW - off piste- wonder why the police rider left the oil scene like that, he'll only get a call straighyt back to another possibly more serious prang.

snaponphil
28-06-17, 08:19
Great write up, keep it coming..:beerjug:

Warlord
28-06-17, 08:41
Great work Steve. Well beyond my skills to set up though.:beerjug:

Hey, you're a clever chap, its only a case of breaking it all down into bits... learning about each one, then putting it all together.

I'm totally in the hands of the hardware and software developers. I'm only connecting stuff.

BTW - off piste- wonder why the police rider left the oil scene like that, he'll only get a call straight back to another possibly more serious prang.

The Police Officer was attending that 'crashed' motorcyclist. As he didn't appear to be injured, the motorcyclist obviously wanted to leave the scene. In my opinion the Police Officer was following him to ensure he and his bike were fit to proceed. The officer can't force the guy not to ride his bike or to receive medical attention (you know how some blokes are properly stubborn), but he can pull him over if he see's him doing anything dangerous further down the road (like concussion symptoms or lack of attention, which equally could do him harm). His priority probably was the immediate attention to the crashed rider maybe (he may have been genuinely concerned over his well-being?) Not expecting us lot barrelling towards it on 60,000 worth of new motorcycles, so soon !!!

In the meantime a Patrol Car was heading to the junction to mark it up, but there was a 5 minute gap in between where nobody except me and my mates were watching it.

That scene in the dark would have been life threatening.

Warlord
29-06-17, 07:55
Another addition to the gadget family this morning is some extra storage for all these new video files.

In my day (30 years ago) I was writing code constrained to Kilobytes. Kilobytes memory was good and Megabytes was for hardcore businesses.

Anyways, Kilobytes, Megabytes, Gigabytes all history.

How you need at least Terabytes or Petabytes.

A Terabyte is basically a 1000 Gigabytes. a Gigabyte is a 1000 Megabytes and so on.

So not going to mad, I purchased a 5 Terabyte Storage Unit from Seagate (I have a couple of other Terabyte units which have been reliable for me).

So now with TWO camera's both punching out 1080p footage, on a 128GB Memory Card each (which gives around 10 Hours filming)

That equates to 250GB per 10 Hours (a days ride front and rear camera's). So now I can store 20 DAYS riding on a 5TB storage unit.

However, in reality, I will be deleting a lot of raw footage after I've processed a useful video from it. So maybe I'll get a lot more on it.

Warlord
02-07-17, 07:07
Right then, got the Garmin Virb X Rear Camera mounted, wired up and ready for action.

Here is a short clip on its maiden voyage. Some of my mates leaving meeting place for a rideout yesterday.

Great view, great quality, great sound, love it.

Ideally placed as you can see reflections of my brake and indicator lights (might be useful?)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Az4NtVe0NgE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Warlord
02-07-17, 07:20
In addition to the above taster video.

The really clever bit is when you get it all back home.

Uploading BOTH front and rear camera footage directly into Garmin Virb Edit Software is very easy. It sorts out the links between the two video's and the Telemetric Data.

As soon as you select a video clip, it knows you have footage with the same date and time stamp, and asks you if you want to upload both files.

This means you can now mix and match your viewing angle from both front and rear camera.

So on screen you can have:-

1) Front Camera View only
2) Rear Camera View only
3) Front Camera View with Rear Camera view (Picture in Picture and placed anywhere on the screen)
4) Rear Camera View with Front Camera view (Picture in Picture and placed anywhere on the screen)
5) Front and Rear Camera View (Split half and half)

You can then select which camera audio you want.

You can then select which camera G-Metric data you want.

This is brilliant because you can only connect one Bluetooth Device to each camera. So in theory (I haven't tested this yet) but you could connect your OBD2 Data to front Camera, then Connect your Bluetooth Helmet microphone by Bluetooth to Rear Camera. So then you would have audio overlay, alongside telemetric data (all synchronised).

:thumb2

Bails
03-07-17, 22:50
After reading this thread I have purchased the Virbe XE and am waiting for the Vibe X as a rear which are on special for 50 pound in Australia. Questions I have are:-

Nav Vi seems to need to reconnect each time I want to stop start using the app? I have the camera on loop mode and Burst for photos so this may be the issue.

I have read that Loop mode only saves the last loop not every loop recorded , I have not had a chance to try but wondering if this is the OPS experience?

With 128 Gig card down load of file must take some time , I have purchase a T bite drive as well portable to get each days data for future use.

Warlord
04-07-17, 11:05
After reading this thread I have purchased the Virbe XE and am waiting for the Vibe X as a rear which are on special for 50 pound in Australia. Questions I have are:-

Nav Vi seems to need to reconnect each time I want to stop start using the app? I have the camera on loop mode and Burst for photos so this may be the issue.

I have read that Loop mode only saves the last loop not every loop recorded , I have not had a chance to try but wondering if this is the OPS experience?

With 128 Gig card down load of file must take some time , I have purchase a T bite drive as well portable to get each days data for future use.

Regarding 'Loop'. Yes I have same experience. Unless you stop and start a fresh recording and then a new 'loop' starts.

So I've now just set it up to record 'non loop' as I can just leave the cameras on.

128 GB cards are about 10 hours worth.

Depends if you want it on record all the time

Bails
04-07-17, 11:29
Regarding 'Loop'. Yes I have same experience. Unless you stop and start a fresh recording and then a new 'loop' starts.

So I've now just set it up to record 'non loop' as I can just leave the cameras on.

128 GB cards are about 10 hours worth.

Depends if you want it on record all the time

Thanks for that, wondering if it breaks the non stop recording into smaller file sizes? Pain in the arse going through 10 hours , I notice on loop it breaks the files into 2 minute duration which is OK, 5 minutes would be better . I am heading out on a long trip and getting this sorted is my last task.

Warlord
04-07-17, 12:20
Thanks for that, wondering if it breaks the non stop recording into smaller file sizes? Pain in the arse going through 10 hours , I notice on loop it breaks the files into 2 minute duration which is OK, 5 minutes would be better . I am heading out on a long trip and getting this sorted is my last task.

But on continous recording, use your remote to stop start every now and then and break up the file sizes.

Thats what I do. Even if its every hour or so.

Warlord
04-07-17, 12:22
I now record everything. All 10 hours worth.

What I don't think is interesting, someone else in the group might want footage

Warlord
04-07-17, 12:25
If its a rubbish, just format your cards at end of each day.

Bails
04-07-17, 22:11
Also wondering how fast is the cable connection for downloading the video files? Is it any quicker removing the card and using USB 3 port??

Warlord
05-07-17, 10:29
Also wondering how fast is the cable connection for downloading the video files? Is it any quicker removing the card and using USB 3 port??

That I don't know sorry.

Bails
05-07-17, 23:09
Will be interesting to find out how transfer of data goes. This thread has given me some good ideas, pity that loop mode is not a continuous loop but at least I did not make the mistake of using before heading off.

Warlord
06-07-17, 20:03
Will be interesting to find out how transfer of data goes. This thread has given me some good ideas, pity that loop mode is not a continuous loop but at least I did not make the mistake of using before heading off.

I look forward to your ideas :D

Bails
08-07-17, 03:48
OK doing a few quick trials, and with the loop set to 30 min you get the files in 6 minute sections with a new loop starting if you stop and start the camera. This is a good solution for me So I will run with this for awhile and see how it goes.

Bails
08-07-17, 12:20
Another issue though, it takes for ages to get a lot of data off the SD card. ewven with USB 3 it is a slow process. Also the conversion seems to take ages, and I am running a fairly high spec I7 .

GB.
11-07-17, 10:14
Very interesting thread, I was following someone on a GS yesterday at Calais tunnel with a rear facing Virb, you by any chance?
My question is on the ODB module,i have one of those but I didn't realise they connect to the GS, I thought only the GS911 connected to the BMW bike range?

Warlord
11-07-17, 16:17
Very interesting thread, I was following someone on a GS yesterday at Calais tunnel with a rear facing Virb, you by any chance?
My question is on the ODB module,i have one of those but I didn't realise they connect to the GS, I thought only the GS911 connected to the BMW bike range?

Not me, my bike's at home.

Try your OBD2 ELM327 device, see if it works

GB.
11-07-17, 16:45
Where do I plug it in?

Warlord
11-07-17, 22:26
Where do I plug it in?

Assuming you have a EURO4 bike with standard OBDC it's Behind your battery cover.

If you don't have a EURO4 bike, you'll need to ask someone else on here if there is an adapter port?

ymfb
12-07-17, 04:32
Please can you advise whether you think upgrading from the Nav V to VI is worthwhile and second if travelling with only an iPad it's probably best to carry a micro SD for each day.

Is setting continuos record easily achieved ?

Thanks

ymfb
12-07-17, 05:11
Regarding the OBD2 ELM327 and the gear position not being correct, do you think a different OBD2 ELM327 would resolve the issue ?

ymfb
12-07-17, 05:24
Instead of buying a number of very expensive 128 gb micro SD cards, consider something like RAVPower FileHub Plus,Wireless Travel Router, SD Card Reader USB Portable Hard Drive Companion

What I don't know is how you know you have uploaded your days recording onto it unless you can view it on the iPad

GB.
12-07-17, 06:15
Assuming you have a EURO4 bike with standard OBDC it's Behind your battery cover.

If you don't have a EURO4 bike, you'll need to ask someone else on here if there is an adapter port?

Mines a 2015 lc don't know if that makes it Euro 4 or not.

markjaffe
13-07-17, 06:26
I already have a business haha. This is supposed to be my hobby :P

But thank you, I've liked how this is turning out :thumb:thumb2

Anyways, on the camera you can set it up on a rolling 5, 10, 20 or 30 minute recording file.

So if you have a notable experience, you can simply stop recording, and restart a new 30 minute file.

If someone pulls you over, just leave the camera recording. It'll overwrite anything older than 30 minutes anyway unless you start a new file.

If you want it to just record everything, then you'll have 10 Hours 30 Minutes worth on a 128GB MicroSD Card. Which is plenty for a days riding.

Lots of options basically, but just TURN OFF the recording via the Navigator VI screen if you want to go for a blast with the hills and sheep. Up to you.

Yes in deed very clever. I have read this with real interest. Please let me know when you are able to put the instructions on YouTube. I have all the bits needed except the OBD2 dongle but i am going to order that today and then start to play with setting it all up. Thanks

markjaffe
13-07-17, 06:38
I have just found the OBDLink MX 426101 ScanTool Bluetooth: on amazon. I says it works with windows and android. I assume this will work ok? As Frearoony says it does have to auto off feature.

Warlord
13-07-17, 18:42
I have just found the OBDLink MX 426101 ScanTool Bluetooth: on amazon. I says it works with windows and android. I assume this will work ok? As Frearoony says it does have to auto off feature.

If you buy this, let me know if it works, and let me know if it gives you more data.

Warlord
16-07-17, 08:29
Yesterdays rideout video. All BMW R1200GS's in the wet over a 30 mile ride.

It's about 50 minutes long but includes wet weather and some advanced techniques. In this video we don't stop for roundabouts, traffic lights, traffic queues. The only time we stop is at the beginning for route instructions and at an Ordered Stop midway.

Full on bike telemetry and rear view with front camera (picture in picture) format.

The bike behind has just fitted the Hex EZCAN and has additional auxiliary lights (top two), we were testing them out on this ride.

Hope you like this nice progressive ride and enjoy it for what it is, a lads day out on our R1200GS's.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QABZuNOpwRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fredaroony
16-07-17, 10:39
Yesterdays rideout video. All BMW R1200GS's in the wet over a 30 mile ride.

It's about 50 minutes long but includes wet weather and some advanced techniques. In this video we don't stop for roundabouts, traffic lights, traffic queues. The only time we stop is at the beginning for route instructions and at an Ordered Stop midway.

Full on bike telemetry and rear view with front camera (picture in picture) format.

The bike behind has just fitted the Hex EZCAN and has additional auxiliary lights (top two), we were testing them out on this ride.

Hope you like this nice progressive ride and enjoy it for what it is, a lads day out on our R1200GS's.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QABZuNOpwRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yikes it was 19c today and it's in the middle of our winter! 21c tomorrow so starting to warm up.

You're really making me want to buy one of these Virbs!! Really had enough of the bloody GoPro

Warlord
16-07-17, 13:03
Yikes it was 19c today and it's in the middle of our winter! 21c tomorrow so starting to warm up.

You're really making me want to buy one of these Virbs!! Really had enough of the bloody GoPro

Haha, yes this setup for motorcyclists is very good.

What is it about the Virb that you like, and what is it about the GoPro that you don't like?

fredaroony
16-07-17, 21:10
Haha, yes this setup for motorcyclists is very good.

What is it about the Virb that you like, and what is it about the GoPro that you don't like?

I like the dedicated charging solution for the Virb and it's also waterproof. I've been having charging issues on the bike with my Session and Hero5 Black, I sold the Black because I had enough of it. I also had a lot of problems with the remote losing connection all the time.

I just want something that is reliable.

Warlord
17-07-17, 07:10
I like the dedicated charging solution for the Virb and it's also waterproof. I've been having charging issues on the bike with my Session and Hero5 Black, I sold the Black because I had enough of it. I also had a lot of problems with the remote losing connection all the time.

I just want something that is reliable.

That was my main objective, reliability and ease of use. I prioritise that more than video resolution. No point having ultra fantastic 4K HDR camera if the bloody thing isn't charged, or file sizes are so massive your laptop can't process it.

Convenience is a major issue for motorcyclists. Camera equipment has to be easily available and ready to go, anytime, in any weather.

Warlord
17-07-17, 07:40
The noteable pro's and con's I've encountered so far..

Pro's

- Neat rugged looking camera and suits the GS.

- Rugged hard wired cable means always charged and ready.

- GoPro mounting means easy to attach any where on bike

- 128 GB storage card gives 10.5 hours continuous at HD 1080p.. thats a lot of footage

- I love that you can connect the Virbs together as Master & Slave

- I love that you can connect OBD2 telemetry data

- I love the Garmin Virb Edit software as its so easy to upload front, rear, and telemetry to produce a video. And its free.

Cons

- The Master / Slave link isn't reliable when also connecting bluetooth devices. It doesnt always turn on the rear camera when using remote. So I now just flick rear camera onto record before I ride off. It's as if the bluetooth data exchange interupts with wireless connection somehow.

- The desiccant moisture cards inside the camera HAVE to be completely dry (baking them at 80 degrees for 10 minutes) until they turn Blue in colour. I've compromised some footage already with moisture fogging on lens because of not drying out cards. I'll be interested to see how much of a problem this will be in winter (going from a warm dry garage into freezing low temps and rain)

- For a 50 minute YouTube clip it takes around 10 hours to download and render it all. I currently have to download each camera footage separately (which can take about 1 hour each if the cards are full), then it 'optimises' which can take up to 2 hours, then I can create the video. Then it has to be rendered which can take hours. Then it has to be uploaded to YouTube which takes around 3 hours on a 20Mb upload speed.

So THIS is my biggest gripe and I'm only shooting 1080p. It would be horrific for 4K footage.

I've now just invested in a 5 Terabyte storage device, a fast USB 3 MicroSD card reader and hope it'll make it more convenient.

I'm resisting the urge to buy a new desktop with massive processing power to easily speed things up, as I'm not a pro film maker. I just want footage every now and then to show my mates.

Would Likes

- I'd like to find a way to show 'Current Gear' selected on video telemetry.

- I'd like a UK date format in the Virb Edit Software for onscreen display.

- I'd like to have an automated screen width rescale based upon speed. So at 40mph or less the video is at WIDE mode. 40mph to 60mph the screen records at NORMAL mode. Above 60mph the screen records at ZOOM mode. All automated.

Reason being for rear camera footage, the faster you go the more distance there is between you and whatever is following you. So to bring them closer would be great.

fredaroony
17-07-17, 07:44
Are you downloading the content from the SD while still in the camera? If so, I would recommend getting a SD card USB adapter to read it directly as it should be much faster

Warlord
17-07-17, 07:52
Are you downloading the content from the SD while still in the camera? If so, I would recommend getting a SD card USB adapter to read it directly as it should be much faster

I am yes.

How it works currently is I get home, put bike in garage. Bring down laptop and connect directly to Virb Camera and leave it downloading while I go do something else. Then repeat for other camera.

I've since recently (and still awaiting delivery) bought a Kingston USB 3.0 High Speed Card Reader. So I'm hoping to be able to remove the cards from the Virb's and upload directly onto my 5TB Storage Device via my laptop and Garmin Virb Edit software.

My Laptop is a bit old, but its a DELL XPS 15 L502X (Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4 Ghz - 4GB RAM - 64bit Windows 10 Home)

Blackal
17-07-17, 08:31
Any way of downloading that doesn't involve your laptop and wifi would speed things up. But - are you wiping the SD card each time, or are you just downloading that particular day's footage and allowing the camera to overwrite the next day? If you are overwriting, then the less times you take the sd card in and out - may prolong the life of the slot in the camera?

That said - perhaps the socket for downloading might be equally susceptible to wear.

al

Warlord
17-07-17, 09:15
But - are you wiping the SD card each time, or are you just downloading that particular day's footage and allowing the camera to overwrite the next day? If you are overwriting, then the less times you take the sd card in and out - may prolong the life of the slot in the camera?

That said - perhaps the socket for downloading might be equally susceptible to wear.

al

When I've downloaded the footage off the MicroSD Card (once I've verified the footage is safe) I format the cards before I start the next ride out.

So at the start of each recording session the MicroSD Cards are freshly formatted.

I can't connect my laptop via Wifi Directly to the Garmin Virb Camera. So this isn't an option for footage download.

The Virb Wifi is used to communicate between other Virb Camera's and the Mobile Phone App.

On the Mobile Phone App I believe you can download video footage to your phone, but I doubt it is quick.

Warlord
17-07-17, 09:21
I think the weakest link in all of this will be my Laptop's processing ability to 'optimise' and 'render' the footage.

Even if the download from the camera to my laptop is lightening fast. My laptop still then has to process it all.

My Broadband speed is reasonably fast at 20MB upload, so can't complain to much about that either.

Blackal
17-07-17, 09:46
Its the Wi-fi within your own house that will limit speeds.

Warlord
17-07-17, 10:47
Its the Wi-fi within your own house that will limit speeds.

Well that doesn't make sense to me as my laptop is hardwired to the router in my home office. So uploading it to the internet is at the above speeds, as that's where I did the speed check earlier.

Downloading the footage from my Virb Camera's onto the laptop is hardwired also. Even if I use the USB 3.0 card reader, that's hardwired.

Also, my wifi setup at home has an absolute beast of a router. One of the fastest out there for hardcore home environments MU-MIMO (Multi User, Multi In Multi Out). Regardless of whether you are on a Surface Pro Tablet, Smartphone, Laptop, Playstation 4 Pro, XBOX One, Smart TV Streaming 4K HDR Media, it does it all, at the same time !!

We've got over 50 connected devices at home and this router does them all. Its a beast.

NETGEAR R9000-100EUS Nighthawk X10

AD7200 802.11ac/Ad Quad-Stream MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router with 1.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor and Plex Media Server

- 802.11ac Quad Stream Wave2 WiFi plus 802.11ad WiFi - Up to 4600+1733+800 Mbps wireless speed

- 60GHz 802.11ad WiFi - Fastest WiFi technology for instant downloads and backup

- Plex Media Server - All your movie, TV show, music, video, and photo collections at your fingertips. Anywhere you go, on the devices you love.

- High-Performance Active Antennas - Better WiFi coverage and faster speeds

- Powerful 1.7GHz Quad Core Processor - Fastest processor for home router for better 4K streaming, VR gaming, surfing, or anything you throw at it

When I'm uploading to the internet, contention in our street is minimal, so the upload speeds are genuine and stable. It's a very fast setup for domestic residence.

Blackal
17-07-17, 11:20
Sorry - I assumed you were using wifi .

Al

er-minio
17-07-17, 12:04
My Broadband speed is reasonably fast at 20MB upload, so can't complain to much about that either.

Yes, it is reasonably fast, but always remember that Mbps is Megabits (Mb) per seconds, not Megabytes (MB).
Also, that is your upload capacity. It doesn't mean the server on the other hand will always match that speed, depending on what/who you are using.

I randomly read a few things here and there in this thread, but out of curiosity, how can it take you 10 hours to download a 50 mintes 1080p video connecting to the camera via (presumably) USB cable (assuming USB2 connection)?

How big is the file?

Blackal
17-07-17, 12:07
Yes, it is reasonably fast, but always remember that Mbps is Megabits (Mb) per seconds, not Megabytes (MB).
Also, that is your upload capacity. It doesn't mean the server on the other hand will always match that speed, depending on what/who you are using.

I randomly read a few things here and there in this thread, but out of curiosity, how can it take you 10 hours to download a 50 mintes 1080p video connecting to the camera via (presumably) USB cable (assuming USB2 connection)?

How big is the file?

Does the laptop not throttle the speed? Caching or something?

er-minio
17-07-17, 12:14
No. It should not. Also the wifi generally would not affect the speed and he said he is running on cable (good).
10 hours to copy 128GB (assuming the card is full) of data seems a bit too much. Takes me less to move stuff like that on my server, connecting from home connecting to the office via VPN...

Regarding the processing time, the video seems to be 30fps, keep in mind your laptop has to change the fps and apply the overlay. Even though it is not that much to process.

- For a 50 minute YouTube clip it takes around 10 hours to download and render it all. I currently have to download each camera footage separately (which can take about 1 hour each if the cards are full), then it 'optimises' which can take up to 2 hours, then I can create the video. Then it has to be rendered which can take hours. Then it has to be uploaded to YouTube which takes around 3 hours on a 20Mb upload speed.

Ah, ok, I initially misread.
I assumed 10 hours for download and processing only! That seemed a lot.
This is still a lot, but makes more sense now.

Warlord
17-07-17, 13:26

How big is the file?

The file sizes can be up to 128Gb on each camera which is around 21 HOURS of footage, audio and telemetry data. So you download everything and then pick out the various clips and amount of footage you want, to then create a 50 minute final cut video. But you need front and rear footage to be able to flick or switch between both (or picture in picture)

So its the initial download of everything that's the killer. Not the 50 minutes that you end up with as a final cut video

Warlord
17-07-17, 13:33
Ah, ok, I initially misread.
I assumed 10 hours for download and processing only! That seemed a lot.
This is still a lot, but makes more sense now.

I'm not going on exact time's as its way to long to actually time it. But it is HOURS

Approximates for the start/finish time of a 50 minute video...

Front Camera (128GB Card) Download all footage and data to Laptop (takes around 1 Hour)
Front Camera (optimising... a process the Virb Edit Software does to pre-render the footage and G-Metrix) takes around 2 Hours
Rear Camera (128GB Card) Download all footage and data to Laptop (takes around 1 Hour)
Rear Camera (optimising... a process the Virb Edit Software does to pre-render the footage and G-Metrix) takes around 2 Hours
Video Editing (myself picking out bits and sticking them all together, checking stuff, messing about) takes around 1 hour
Garmin Virb Edit Software Rendering a final movie takes around 2 Hours
Upload to YouTube takes around 3 Hours

Frickin 12 hours of my life gone (Ok so I'm not actually around while my laptop is working its nuts off, but still 12 hours !!), just to get one 50 minute video out, that most people won't be interested in anyway haha.... must be mad !

But it is still an awesome setup for holidays and special events. In the meantime I think I'll just wipe the cards at the end of each rideout unless something SPECTACULAR needs to be downloaded

Warlord
17-07-17, 13:37
Sorry - I assumed you were using wifi .

Al

No worries :)

er-minio
17-07-17, 13:43
I'm not going on exact time's as its way to long to actually time it. Bit it is HOURS

Of course, it makes sense now.
Initially I misunderstood and assumed it took you up to ten hours just to download and automatically process 50 minutes of uncut video footage. That was a bit too much and was trying to troubleshoot where the problem might have been. But as you explained it, the time it takes sort of makes sense.

Frickin 12 hours of my life gone, just to get one 50 minute video out.

And almost no one is watching 50 minutes of road riding.
No one is watching 3 minutes of someone skydiving these days: rule of thumb, keep it short and sweet :)

I kept reading over your set-up as the work done is very interesting... my two cents: unless I got it wrong again, if you are recording 60fps on the front and 30fps on the rear, you basically waste rendering time re-adjusting the fps to 30 when you do the final edit. You can shave some minutes/hours there. ;)

Warlord
17-07-17, 13:50
Of course, it makes sense now.
Initially I misunderstood and assumed it took you up to ten hours just to download and automatically process 50 minutes of uncut video footage. That was a bit too much and was trying to troubleshoot where the problem might have been. But as you explained it, the time it takes sort of makes sense.

Indeed :beerjug:

And almost no one is watching 50 minutes of road riding.
No one is watching 3 minutes of someone skydiving these days: rule of thumb, keep it short and sweet :)

Except my elderly Mum... haha, and the lads on the ride who just want to watch themselves on the TV

I kept reading over your set-up as the work done is very interesting... my two cents: unless I got it wrong again, if you are recording 60fps on the front and 30fps on the rear, you basically waste rendering time re-adjusting the fps to 30 when you do the final edit. You can shave some minutes/hours there. ;)

Ok now that is useful, because the front camera is recording at 60 fps, and the rear only has 30 fps at 1080p. So I might just set the front up at 30 fps then if it gets produced at the lowest common frame rate.

Thank for that :)

Warlord
17-07-17, 13:53
But, having said that, I never know which angle I want the footage from.

So in the event of an accident where the front camera is the main point of interest, I'll want the full 60 fps footage which I'll have if I keep it as it is..

Arrrrrrgh :bow

Warlord
17-07-17, 13:58
Ok from now on, 5 Minute Video's is all I will do, MAX.

But I still have to get my footage off the camera's quickly :thumb2

I could go back to the original write over files but the telemetry data gets messed up.

So it is best just start the recording and leave it on permanently as the telemetry data is secure, but I then have a massive video file to download.

Rock and a hard place.... :blast

er-minio
17-07-17, 14:00
Except my elderly Mum... haha, and the lads on the ride who just want to watch themselves on the TV

haha :D
I know, I do upload a lot of footage I record from the bike on YT, mostly for storage and to share with a few friends.
But usually, people drop after a minute or so.

I did some editing here and there for fun every once in a while, but I mostly just cut the file off the gopro and drop it online these days :)

Ok now that is useful, because the front camera is recording at 60 fps, and the rear only has 30 fps at 1080p. So I might just set the front up at 30 fps then if it gets produced at the lowest common frame rate.

Thank for that :)

No problem!
The videos you posted here seem to be at 30fps. So I'm assuming the software is dropping the frame rate. That could be CPU intensive and take some of your rendering time. When working with a lot of footage as you do, having the same source material helps to speed up editing/processing times ;)

I could go back to the original write over files but the telemetry data gets messed up.

I don't really know how the virb works, but the telemetry data has to be timecoded. That would avoid you to render the full footage (to overlay the data visuals) before editing.
IE: you edit your 5 (or 50) minutes video and the data overlays are applied only to the relevant clips you are gonna use.

I don't know that software, so up to you to figure how to do that out – sorry :D :)

Anyway, thanks for explaining your set-up. Pretty interesting and good to know.

Flaming T
17-07-17, 14:36
FWIW... my YT vids are only a maximum of 15 mins but more often between 5 and 10.... This is mainly down to the time it takes just to make the video anyway. :D

Warlord
17-07-17, 14:48
No worries, I'm glad others find this thread interesting as I feel like I'm talking to myself sometimes ha.. :)

fredaroony
17-07-17, 22:31
No worries, I'm glad others find this thread interesting as I feel like I'm talking to myself sometimes ha.. :)

Threads like this are brilliant and keep up the great work mate. Nothing worse than a lot of threads about the same subject but this has all the info needed.

Warlord
18-07-17, 06:29
Threads like this are brilliant and keep up the great work mate. Nothing worse than a lot of threads about the same subject but this has all the info needed.

The next part of the plan is to add helmet audio.

I can only connect one Bluetooth Device per Virb Camera.

So Front Camera currently has the OBD2 connected to it.

So Rear Camera could have a Scala Rider Bluetooth Device with helmet audio overlay.

In theory... I should then be able to use both OBD2 data and Audio on Picture in Picture.

Question is.... if my Scala Rider headset can connect to my Virb Camera for voice overlay AND connect to my Garmin Sat Nav for nav instructions AND will the voice overlay include pillion Voice chat?

Thats a lot of connectivity....

OBD2 Device to Garmin Virb XE via Bluetooth (Telemetry Data)

Garmin Virb XE to Garmin Virb X (Wifi) Master/Slave link

Garmin Nav VI Sat Nav connected to Garmin Virb XE (Master Remote Control)

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Smartphone connected to both Virb XE and Virb X for remote view.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge smartphone connected to Garmin Nav VI for phone calls, music and data services (live traffic & live weather updates)

Garmin Nav VI sat nav connected to Scala Rider bluetooth headset for Nav Instructions, Music and Phone Call audio.

Scala Rider headset connected to Garmin Virb X camera for voice overlay on video.

Scala rider headset connected to pillion rider headset for chat communications.

Warlord
18-07-17, 06:36
So I think the Scala Rider headset (or whatever bluetooth headset I buy for this project has to cope with multiple bluetooth connectivity)

Rider to pillion chat
Rider to pack chat (multiple riders)
Rider to Garmin Camera voice overlay
Rider to Sat Nav for route instructions, music and phone calls.

I'd better get looking

tc3nitro
18-07-17, 07:46
Ok, time for an update.

Firstly sorry for the delay, its been a busy month.

I finally ended up getting a couple of second hand Garmin Virb camera's. One being a Virb XE and one being a Virb X.

The main reason I wanted the Virb XE and X are that they are WATERPROOF and they can be HARD WIRED TO POWER.

I ride in all weather so waterproof is mission critical.

I never remember to charge batteries, so hard wired is also critical.

I'm not bothered with 4K video quality as I don't want Terrabytes of data on my laptop.

So here it is fitted and hard wired using a 10M Garmin Rugged Cable. I've connected it directly to my HEX EZCAN power controller.

What mount are you using here ?

Awesome thread

Warlord
18-07-17, 08:08
Right onto the next phase with the Helmet Voice Chat.

I've just ordered the latest Scala Rider PackTalk Duo headsets for myself and my partner Louise.

http://cardosystems.com/portfolio-item/scala-rider-packtalk-duo/

I'm hoping it'll be compatible with the Virb XE Camera's and it'll all work beautifully. haha, BIG fingers crossed.

It should arrive tomorrow so with a bit of tweaking I'll have it set up for the weekend and post a short video showing what it all does and doesn't do. :augie

Warlord
18-07-17, 08:16
What mount are you using here ?

Awesome thread

not sure which mount you are refering to... so here are the mounts I've used (all of them).

Front Camera Mount

Rear Camera Mount

Camera Power Mount to battery (Or Hex EZCAN Device as I'm using)

fredaroony
18-07-17, 08:35
I tried the mount that goes on the indicator but I found it bounced a little too much.

Warlord
18-07-17, 12:31
I tried the mount that goes on the indicator but I found it bounced a little too much.

Yeah weirdly mine doesn't bounce? Not that I've noticed anyways.

I've also activated the 'image stabiliser' on the camera as well, maybe that's made a big difference. But rear view looks great to me.

It might also be because I've hard wired the camera and routed the cables underneath the Camera Mount (Cable Tied).

So maybe the wires are helping stability of the camera itself by providing some movement resistance?

tc3nitro
18-07-17, 15:31
I was referring to the front mount above the headlight ?

Seen it on eBay now and ordered !

Your thread has inspired me, I only really want a front setup but I might add a rear camera as your videos look so good !

Keep the updates coming !

Warlord
18-07-17, 16:09

Nice one :D

tc3nitro
19-07-17, 12:19
What memory cars are you using ?

I have tired a sandisk ultra that works fine in other action cameras I have.

But in the virb on 1080p it stutters really badly, 720p seems better but still not faultless.

Any advice ?

I have ordered a Sandisk Extreme 128gb for the camera but I can always return this.

Warlord
19-07-17, 13:45
What memory cars are you using ?

I have tired a sandisk ultra that works fine in other action cameras I have.

But in the virb on 1080p it stutters really badly, 720p seems better but still not faultless.

Any advice ?

I have ordered a Sandisk Extreme 128gb for the camera but I can always return this.

I purchased two of these off Amazon.co.uk

SanDisk Extreme 128GB microSDXC Memory Card CLASS 10 + SD Adapter up to 100MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30 A1

Model Number : SDSQXAF-128G-GN6MA

Warlord
19-07-17, 18:10
My Scala Rider Packtalk Duo Bluetooth Headsets arrived today.

Spent a bit of time unpacking everything, doing firmware updates on both headsets, setting up the microphones in the helmets and sorting out all the connectivity on the bike. This is getting complicated :bounce1

Each Garmin Virb Camera has Bluetooth Connectivity.

You can search for Bluetooth devices and have as many as you want 'paired' with the camera. But you can only use ONE Bluetooth device at a time, per camera. So if you are connected to one Bluetooth device, when you select another Bluetooth paired device and ask it to connect..... it disconnects from one it was already connected to. So it can't connect to two devices at the same time.

So.... I've changed my plan a little bit.

I've set up the Front Camera as Virb XE. This is the Master Control Camera. I've connected my new Scala Rider Packtalk Bluetooth headset to it for voice over audio on the video footage.

I've set up the Rear Camera as Virb X. This is the Slave Controlled Camera. I've connected my OBD2 ELM 327 Bluetooth Data Device to that.

This means when I do my final video, I can select picture in picture for visuals. I can select G-Metrix data from Rear Camera. I can select Audio from front camera.

This is also ideal for any reason I don't want my Voice-Chat audio on tape, I can then select audio from rear camera (which has less wind noise, and is close to the exhaust so sounds nicer. Best of both world options.

Warlord
19-07-17, 18:18
What this means now...

- Rider and Pillion can talk to each other
- Rider and Pillion can talk to other 'pack' riders in the group
- Pillion can listen to Music AND talk to the rider
- Rider can hear Sat Nav Instructions and Take phone calls (not that I want to, but occasionally a lost soul in the group needs to make contact its a life saver).

What I don't know is

?) Is all this chat picked up on video audio?
?) Are sat nav instructions picked up on video audio?
?) Is rider and pillion music picked up on video audio?
?) Because the Video audio is Bluetooth, and not hardwired, I don't know what the quality or reliability is going to be like. We shall see

When I test connected it all earlier the Scala Rider PackTalk Due headset has TWO Bluetooth Channels each headset. Which is ideal.

This means I've paired mine to Bluetooth Channel One for Sat Nav, and Bluetooth Channel Two for Garmin Virb XE Camera.

As the Headsets are automatically paired to each other, I'm assuming you can have chat, nav instructions and voice overlay onto camera footage all at the same time.

The Sat Nav Navigator VI would then control volumes for incoming calls, music, nav instructions etc.

:blast Think I've got it. Just got to test it now :augie

Warlord
19-07-17, 18:26
Now, when I go to my bike.

I power the bike up.

The Sat Nav Connects to my SmartPhone and downloads Live Weather Updates and Traffic News.
The Sat Nav Connects to my Garmin Virb XE Camera and behaves as a touchscreen remote control
The Sat Nav Connects to my Scala Rider Headset and provides Nav instructions and phone calls

The Garmin Virb XE Connects to the Garmin Virb X as a master unit and sends instructions automatically (record on, off etc)
The Garmin Virb XE Connects to my Scala Rider Headset for Video Audio
The Garmin Virb X Connects to the OBD2 ELM Bluetooth for on board Data Metrics

The Scala Rider Headsets Connect to each other (Pillion)
The Scala Pillion Headset connects to her Smartphone for Music

My Smartphone Connects to the Garmin Virb XE and Garmin Virb X for remote playback and live remote surveillance.

All automatically, all hardwired to the bike (except the Scala headsets), NO WIRES between rider and bike, I don't have to do anything more.... and off we go..... :D#

Sat Nav Routing, Live Traffic, Weather, Music, Phone Calls, Chat, Front and Rear View Video, Telemetry.

IF you want it. Or it can all be silent just doing it's thing in the background (which is my preference)

tc3nitro
19-07-17, 19:15
Now, when I go to my bike.

I power the bike up.

The Sat Nav Connects to my SmartPhone and downloads Live Weather Updates and Traffic News.
The Sat Nav Connects to my Garmin Virb XE Camera and behaves as a touchscreen remote control
The Sat Nav Connects to my Scala Rider Headset and provides Nav instructions and phone calls

The Garmin Virb XE Connects to the Garmin Virb X as a master unit and sends instructions automatically (record on, off etc)
The Garmin Virb XE Connects to my Scala Rider Headset for Video Audio
The Garmin Virb X Connects to the OBD2 ELM Bluetooth for on board Data Metrics

The Scala Rider Headsets Connect to each other (Pillion)
The Scala Pillion Headset connects to her Smartphone for Music

My Smartphone Connects to the Garmin Virb XE and Garmin Virb X for remote playback and live remote surveillance.

All automatically, all hardwired to the bike (except the Scala headsets), NO WIRES between rider and bike, I don't have to do anything more.... and off we go..... :D#

Sat Nav Routing, Live Traffic, Weather, Music, Phone Calls, Chat, Front and Rear View Video, Telemetry.

IF you want it. Or it can all be silent just doing it's thing in the background (which is my preference)

This sounds awesome !

I may have missed this point earlier in the thread but how long does the camera take to turn off once the ignition is switched off ?

tc3nitro
19-07-17, 19:18
I purchased two of these off Amazon.co.uk

SanDisk Extreme 128GB microSDXC Memory Card CLASS 10 + SD Adapter up to 100MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30 A1

Model Number : SDSQXAF-128G-GN6MA

Perfect these are exactly what I have coming tomorrow.

Warlord
19-07-17, 19:50
This sounds awesome !

I may have missed this point earlier in the thread but how long does the camera take to turn off once the ignition is switched off ?

When the bike ignition is ON the cameras are powered directly from the bike, and they both come on automatically and immediately.

When you turn the bike ignition off, my EZ CAN device remains in control of the power. So....

A) It can turn off bike power to accessories immediately. If you set it up that way

or

B) Wait for a timed period like 3 minutes before it turns off the power to the accessories.

Eventually, when the bikes power is stopped, the cameras will automatically switch over to internal battery power (as they are always fully charged because the bike is charging them when on bike power) the cameras will then be live for another 1 hour or so before they run out of internal power.

Then they'll just shut down until power is turned on again.

Its very slick and easy because its all automated. The only manual part would be to physically turn off both camera's if you don't want them running or recording while you are away from the bike. They'll just automatically turn on again when you turn ignition on next time (so you don't have to worry about reversing a 'hard' turned off state).

tc3nitro
19-07-17, 20:22
When the bike ignition is ON the cameras are powered directly from the bike, and they both come on automatically and immediately.

When you turn the bike ignition off, my EZ CAN device remains in control of the power. So....

A) It can turn off bike power to accessories immediately. If you set it up that way

or

B) Wait for a timed period like 3 minutes before it turns off the power to the accessories.

Eventually, when the bikes power is stopped, the cameras will automatically switch over to internal battery power (as they are always fully charged because the bike is charging them when on bike power) the cameras will then be live for another 1 hour or so before they run out of internal power.

Then they'll just shut down until power is turned on again.

Its very slick and easy because its all automated. The only manual part would be to physically turn off both camera's if you don't want them running or recording while you are away from the bike. They'll just automatically turn on again when you turn ignition on next time (so you don't have to worry about reversing a 'hard' turned off state).

Warlord do you know if they will operate without the battery installed so they turn off once the ezcan powers down ?

Warlord
19-07-17, 21:00
Warlord do you know if they will operate without the battery installed so they turn off once the ezcan powers down ?

Somewhere in the camera menu is an Auto-Off. I haven't used that part. So I would presume that once external power is shut off, it'll shut down.

I also think it's like a standby mode, where it appears to be shut down, but will still have bluetooth readiness? Don't know.

Also don't know if the camera will work at all by removing battery and just having the External Power lead attached?

tc3nitro
20-07-17, 07:33
Somewhere in the camera menu is an Auto-Off. I haven't used that part. So I would presume that once external power is shut off, it'll shut down.

I also think it's like a standby mode, where it appears to be shut down, but will still have bluetooth readiness? Don't know.

Also don't know if the camera will work at all by removing battery and just having the External Power lead attached?

Thanks I'll have to give it ago.

Do you know if I'll be able to use the obd2 tool and a garmin virb remote at the same time with my XE?

I'd like to be able to control the camera but only have nav v.

Warlord
20-07-17, 07:57
Thanks I'll have to give it ago.

Do you know if I'll be able to use the obd2 tool and a garmin virb remote at the same time with my XE?

I'd like to be able to control the camera but only have nav v.

Yes mine worked that way.

I had my Garmin Virb X remote controlled via BMW NAV VI screen and it was connected to OBD2 device via bluetooth. That all worked fine.

I'm therefore assuming that the Garmin Virb Remote Control device would work similarly? But it is an assumption, so I could be wrong.

Boshman
20-07-17, 11:28
Excellent setup Warlord, I am inspired.:thumb2 Quick Question, do you use the GPS in the Camera or switch it off and take the GPS info from the (presumably better) Nav VI's GPS?

Regarding ODB2 dongle, I'm thinking it might be worth paying more for the higher quality ODBlink LX device which has auto-power off and secure Bluetooth Pairing.

http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

UK prices are a bit of a rip-off mind, $50 from the US, over 100 from UK sellers!:mad:

Warlord
20-07-17, 12:43
Excellent setup Warlord, I am inspired.:thumb2 Quick Question, do you use the GPS in the Camera or switch it off and take the GPS info from the (presumably better) Nav VI's GPS?

Regarding ODB2 dongle, I'm thinking it might be worth paying more for the higher quality ODBlink LX device which has auto-power off and secure Bluetooth Pairing.

http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

UK prices are a bit of a rip-off mind, $50 from the US, over 100 from UK sellers!:mad:

For the Telemetric Data its all taken from the Garmin Virb Camera's own built in GPS data. It doesn't need or rely on the Sat Nav for anything.

The ODB2 device is a cheap one without security. However, I'm not sure if the ODBLink LX or MX would work with the Garmin Camera? I would need to test it (or some other kind soul on here test it for us and report back with their findings).

I am interested in the other ODB2 devices purely to see if they offer any more (or less) data than I can get with a cheap 11 device.

Boshman
20-07-17, 13:30
Garmin did make their own VIRB ODB Data relay device but it's now discontinued and I can find it for sale anywhere!

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/OBD2_Data_Relay_Instructions_ML6.pdf

The OBDLink LX is bluetooth just like the cheapo Chinese ones but is higher quality and has auto power-off function. I cant see any reason why it wouldn't work the same as the cheap ones.

Boshman
20-07-17, 13:35
actually looks like this is their replacement product!?
http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-mechanic-with-ecoroute-hd-010-11380-10.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0_uL5vyX1QIVBuAbCh2JBwPp EAkYAiABEgL3e_D_BwE

Warlord
20-07-17, 19:57

I noted something today.

If the Garmin Cameras are on 'Record' when the bike ignition is turned off... they will continue to record on internal battery power.

If they are just in standby mode when the ignition is turned off, a screen appears on a 5 second countdown timer. In other words if you DONT intervene in the 5 seconds, the cameras will just turn off themselves.

tc3nitro
20-07-17, 20:04
I noted something today.

If the Garmin Cameras are on 'Record' when the bike ignition is turned off... they will continue to record on internal battery power.

If they are just in standby mode when the ignition is turned off, a screen appears on a 5 second countdown timer. In other words if you DONT intervene in the 5 seconds, the cameras will just turn off themselves.

Thanks for the info....

I've turned the auto off function on on my XE so I'll see what happens when it's hooked up.

My ezcan should be here next Tuesday so I'll be trying to set it all out then.

This thread is the best thing I've seen for years.... Totally inspired keep up the updates !

Warlord
21-07-17, 10:02
Ok got some problems, maybe with the Virb X Bluetooth

I set up the Scala Rider Bluetooth Headset yesterday and went out for a ride.

The setup was

- Virb XE Front Camera was connected via Bluetooth to Scala Rider Headset for voice overlay

- Virb X Rear Camera was connected via Bluetooth to OBD2 Data Reader

However, when I got home the Virb X Rear Camera had not collected any data from the OBD2 Device. It was blank.

So I messed about with it this morning and although Garmin say the Virb X will accept OBD2 Data, and indeed the device will show the OBD2 unit on its Bluetooth Scan. And you can connect to it. It then drops the connection and won't reconnect.

This MIGHT be the location on the OBD2 device, but honestly I moved it around and in clear sight of the Virb X and it still wouldn't connect, even after several unpair, hard power off, reboot, repair, mess around from every angle. Nothing.

So I reverted back to PLAN A

- Virb XE Front Camera connected via Bluetooth to OBD2 Data Reader (for some reason this gives a stable and constant connection)

- Virb X Rear Camera connected via Bluetooth to Scala Rider Headset for video voice overlay (I'll have to test this to see if it works).

Warlord
21-07-17, 11:12
Here's a Technical Diagram showing the Connectivity and where it's connected to.

It may make more sense when your setting yours up.

NOTE: The Scala Rider Packtalk Headset only has TWO Bluetooth Device Connection channels.

This means I'm using Channel 1 for my Voice on Video and Channel 2 for my Sat Nav. That's it, no more connections allowed.

This means I can't connect my Smartphone to the Scala Headset directly once I've paired the other two devices.

Without the Scala App paired I can't easily access settings on the headset device.

So I simply set up the headset first, unpaired my phone, and then connected the other two devices.

My phone is already paired to my Sat Nav directly anyways, so incoming calls, music and such are already managed via my sat nav. So I shouldn't lose any features except the use of the Scala Phone App

Warlord
21-07-17, 11:50
The second and very minor issue.

I'm a bit of a gadget freak (as you can see).

I also use a Samsung Gear S3 Smartwatch which is connected to my Samsung Smart Phone. I can take voice calls on my watch (Very nerdy James Bond). However, if I don't turn this feature OFF, it won't route calls through to my Sat Nav (in turn through to my headset).

So if you have a Smart Watch, turn off Voice Calls feature when on the bike :bow

Oh... and Samsung Pay is now available on the Gear S3 Smart Watch as of yesterday. So I can now just unzip my leather sleeve and pay for Petrol on my Watch. It then immediately texts through a full receipt of the transaction so I don't even need to pick up a receipt, just zip sleeve back up, put on glove and ride off

How frickin cool is that haha

All waterproof and rugged, job done.

tc3nitro
22-07-17, 08:27
Warlord did you trim down the 10m rugged garmin cable down ?

I've just got mine and I was thinking of shortening it.

Warlord
22-07-17, 16:45
Warlord did you trim down the 10m rugged garmin cable down ?

I've just got mine and I was thinking of shortening it.

Yes, chopped them down and resoldered them :)

Warlord
23-07-17, 07:59
Well I've got some good news and bad news.

I'd love everything to just work, and it sort of does. But doesn't all at the same time.

Problems

I tested the new Scala Rider Packtalk Headset out the other day, connected via Bluetooth to my front Garmin Virb XE Camera (which is mounted directly to the front of my R1200 GSA).

Firstly, on video playback there is absolutely no ambient noise. It's all quiet. Only when I actually speak can you then hear anything. For some people this would be perfect maybe?

Secondly, because the Scala Headset is connected to my Garmin Camera, for some absolute unknown reason my Nav VI will freeze and stop working if I attempt to use it's media player? It just won't do it, every time just freezes.

Sat Nav instructions through to helmet speakers still work though.

So I disconnected my Scala Headset from my Garmin Camera. Which then allowed my media player to work in my helmet speakers.

It appears you can have one or the other, but not both. Music? Or Video Voiceover?

Warlord
23-07-17, 08:03
Anyways, here is a short clip of the audio quality, which I don't think is great. Not sure where the issue is here.

Is it the Scala Microphone quality? Or the Bluetooth Packet Signal quality? Or the Garmin Camera audio rendering?

Either way it isn't great.

Remember though this camera is attached directly to the bike, and I'm using a helmet mounted headset connection via Bluetooth to it for audio.

When I've had Helmet Camera's in the past, the audio is very good, and you can hear the ambient background noise. This is because the helmet camera has a hardwired microphone attached to it, not on a bluetooth connection.

So I'm wondering if you really want voice over on video. Helmet Camera is the way to go for best results.

Anyways, excuse the ramblings on the video, I'm not a trained presenter so it's just an audio test

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tp9Lewin1R8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Andi_archer
23-07-17, 08:09
It sounds like the Bluetooth is having to reestablish connection each time you speak hence the stuttering.Is it set to voice ativated ,see if there are alternate settings that allow continuous recording which will cut out the stuttering?

Warlord
23-07-17, 08:21
So I'm at a connectivity crossroads now.

Do I want Front camera with OBD2 data and Scala Headset for Music Media Player from Nav VI

or

Do I want Front camera with Video Voice Overlay and Rear camera with OBD2 data (which still has issues of its own to resolve)

or

Do I want Front camera with OBD2 data and rear camera with Voice Overlay (and no music Media Player from Nav VI in headset)

Or do I want to just give up and go home :augie

Warlord
23-07-17, 08:22
It sounds like the Bluetooth is having to reestablish connection each time you speak hence the stuttering.Is it set to voice ativated ,see if there are alternate settings that allow continuous recording which will cut out the stuttering?

Yeah it is on voice activation which is doing my head in. Every time I try and chat to my mates (when they are alongside) it activates a menu or radio or something unwanted. So I might need to turn that off.

GB.
23-07-17, 08:42
I've been reading this thread with great interest, until this week I've been a GoPro user for years and really like them but when I bought my LC with nav6 I thought I would try a virb elite I am yet to purchase one but it will happen now I've sold my GoPro. All I want to do is control it with the nav but looking at this you can do a lot more.

GB.
23-07-17, 08:44
Reading between the lines are you saying I can connect my sena10s to the virb so the virb will record my voice from my sena mic, that would be perfect.

Warlord
23-07-17, 09:00
Reading between the lines are you saying I can connect my sena10s to the virb so the virb will record my voice from my sena mic, that would be perfect.

Yes it should do?

You should be able to connect your Sena10 via Bluetooth to the Garmin Virb camera.

When the Garmin is recording video it is also recording your voice (in theory anyways depending on the connectivity of everything)

GB.
23-07-17, 09:21
Yes it should do?

You should be able to connect your Sena10 via Bluetooth to the Garmin Virb camera.

When the Garmin is recording video it is also recording your voice (in theory anyways depending on the connectivity of everything)

:cool:

Warlord
23-07-17, 09:22

Right, I've turned VOX off. So now unable to control headset via voice. This shouldn't be a problem for me as I can still activate Phone Calls and Media via Sat Nav Screen.

I've also increased the sensitivity of the AGC (Automatic Gain Control), so maybe now I will be able to hear ambient noise (which is what I wanted). Otherwise the video footage is completely silent, which is just weird.

columbus
23-07-17, 13:15
As other have said thanks for all the work you've done and info provided :beerjug:

Warlord
23-07-17, 19:24
UPDATE:

I've decided that I'd rather have the OBD2 data feeding to the rear Virb X, but up until now it keeps disconnecting and won't record any Telemetry data.

So I've been messing around this afternoon trying to find a solution... and I think I've found it.

You have to disconnect the Rear Virb X from the Front Virb XE (taking it out of Slave Mode).

Once its out of Slave Mode (and back into Main Virb Mode) the OBD2 Data connection is immediate and constant.

So you will lose remote control feature on the rear Virb X, but gain the ability to have OBD2 Data recorded instead.

This is a sacrifice I'm prepared to make, as its so easy just to flick the rear camera into 'Record' mode when you get on the bike, its a no brainer.

This also means I can now use my Scala headset to record voice on the front Virb, which is still controlled via the Nav VI remote control.

It has all the features, but you have to mix and match unfortunately. So I'm trying to get the best setup within the parameters of what's available.

Warlord
24-07-17, 08:22
Ooops.

One of my Garmin Rugged 10M Cables failed this weekend during testing.

I've sent an email to Garmin UK (as thats where I purchased them from) to see if it can be replaced under warranty.

The fuse keeps blowing.

I've checked wiring for shorts, cuts, failed joints, water ingress and it all looks good. So I think its the inline black box (power regulator?) that's failed

Heads up to HEX EzCAN device reporting fuse overload failure and shutting down the circuit. That worked a treat during testing. Simple reset every time.

The 2 AMP Garmin inline fuse also blew. So that needs a Mini Blade Fuse Replacement.

See what happens now and how Garmin UK respond :augie:augie:augie:augie

Warlord
24-07-17, 15:35
Was out doing my final testing today.

Think I'm about done now ;)

Warlord
24-07-17, 15:48
The main reasons I did this was:-

a) Front and Rear Camera footage on motorcycle (for incident, accident and special events) video footage.

b) Hardwired to motorcycle for power. This means the recording setup is always ready and you don't need to remember about charging, carrying or replacing internal batteries. You turn the bike on and its ready... ALL DAY (10.5 Hours continuous recording on a single memory card)

c) Always Waterproof and Dust Proof without special requirements, so it'll go anywhere and do anything you want to. Even if you do drop your bike in a river, film the fish!

d) Integration with Nav VI for remote control, OBD2 Motorcycle Telemetry Data and Bluetooth Headset chat. Always on, automatic connectivity.. just ride off and it'll be sorted.

e) Always powered on, 128GB Memory Cards will give you around 10 hours filming. With Audio, Telemetry, Front and Rear footage. On the go, whenever you want it, in any weather.

f) Choose between Front Video, Rear Video, Picture in Picture, Chat Audio, External Audio, Bike Telemetry On or Off. Powerful editing software from Garmin and its free to download.

Job done. :thumb2

Equipment Summary

- BMW Navigator VI - Sat Nav

- Garmin Virb XE (Front Camera) plus 128GB MicroSD Class 10 Memory Card, plus 2 extra desiccant moisture cards

- Garmin Virb X (Rear Camera) plus 128GB Micro SD Class 10 Memory Card, plus 2 extra desiccant moisture cards

- Garmin Rugged 10M Cables x 2

- Front and Rear BMW GoPro Camera Mounts

- HEX EzCan Electronic Device

- Kingston USB 3.0 MicroSD Card Reader for Laptop

- OBD2 ELM327 Data Reader Bluetooth, OBD2 1 Metre Extension Cable

- Garmin Virb Edit Software for video editing (Free)

Warlord
24-07-17, 15:50
Here is the final setup (Draft 2), and a video of Voice & Data all together.

Just to show you it does work, and what you can do. :thumb2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GDcsnyeiuM0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tc3nitro
24-07-17, 21:01
Looks really smart

I'm going to be starting my install over the next week or so once my camera mounts arrives.

Warlord
24-07-17, 22:19
Looks really smart

I'm going to be starting my install over the next week or so once my camera mounts arrives.

Please let me know how you get on, and put some video or pics up here :beerjug:

Wapping
25-07-17, 06:40
I am no big fan of on-bike cameras, filming, music, telephones and the like but this is a really nicely put together thread and an interesting topic. It shows what can be done with some research and patience. Thank you.

Andi_archer
25-07-17, 07:26
So what was the budget for the total package?

Warlord
25-07-17, 09:13
I am no big fan of on-bike cameras, filming, music, telephones and the like but this is a really nicely put together thread and an interesting topic. It shows what can be done with some research and patience. Thank you.

Nice comment, thanks

Warlord
25-07-17, 09:13
So what was the budget for the total package?

I posted approximate costs here

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/451559-Navigator-VI-and-Garmin-Virb-XE-Camera?p=4754056&viewfull=1#post4754056

You may need other bits and pieces like memory card readers, storage devices, laptops, mobile phone, internet connection etc... but I'll presume you've got those

Warlord
25-07-17, 09:23
I know you might be sick and tired of video's in this thread by now, but here's another interesting one.

I went out last night for a Night Time Ride. I do it sometimes, as I volunteer for Blood Bikes, it's good to keep in practice.

Anyways, I thought I'd test my auxiliary lights that I set up using the HEX EzCan.

But also, I changed the colours on my OBD2 Data Metrics. So it now has a NIGHT RIDER mode.

Next time I go out I'll remove the Touratech Light Grill as it casts to many shadows.

What do you think?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jYEn_UlIe80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tc3nitro
26-07-17, 17:27
But I'd also heard on the grapevine that these Garmin Virb XE and X models can also connect to OBD2 ELM327 Bluetooth devices.

This means you can connect it to your BMW R1200GS OBD2 Port and suck lots of really juicy data out of the bikes ECU, AS YOU RIDE ALONG.

So I bought this one off Amazon.co.uk last night, which arrived today and I connected it up.

It took about 10 attempts as for some reason the Bluetooth Search on the Garmin Virb XE couldn't find it.

But after repeated attempts it did find it, and it now connects everytime without trouble.

I fitted it to the OBD2 port and put it in a waterproof bag (upside down) to protect it from water ingress.

Where is the obd2 plug located Warlord ?

Andi_archer
26-07-17, 17:57
Looks good, you might want to go for the clear perspex headlight protection at least it wont cause all those shadows.

Warlord
26-07-17, 20:05
Where is the obd2 plug located Warlord ?

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/451559-Navigator-VI-and-Garmin-Virb-XE-Camera?p=4749497&viewfull=1#post4749497

Its located on offside (right hand side as you sit on the bike).

Behind battery cover.

It's the OBD2 plug on 2017 Euro4 bikes.

Not sure about older models as BMW bikes are new to me.

Warlord
26-07-17, 20:07
Looks good, you might want to go for the clear perspex headlight protection at least it wont cause all those shadows.

Thanks, but I like the look of the mesh grill and I just take it off (simple pull / push) on rare night rides.

I can live with that.

tc3nitro
26-07-17, 20:31
Thanks I didn't realise only 17+ bikes had obd2 !

I'm going to try a conversion cable.

Warlord
26-07-17, 20:55
Thanks I didn't realise only 17+ bikes had obd2 !

I'm going to try a conversion cable.

Yeah its a Euro4 thing.

But you should still be able to get the data, just need a different cable and wherever it needs to be plugged in?

When you've figured that bit out post it on here for others benefit :beerjug:

Warlord
27-07-17, 09:35
I adjusted the Auxiliary 18W Cree Spot Lights so they are aimed higher up the road on Main Beam

I took off the Touratech Grill Headlight Guard (which is what I'll always do on night riding from now on)

I redesigned the Night Dashboard Layout, so it shows 'elevation' instead of pitch and roll (which was mirrored wrongly due to G-Metrix coming from rear camera, but being displayed on front camera).

You should see an improvement in lighting in this short clip

The Garmin Virb XE has some 'professional settings' so I changed the ISO to 6400 as it was very low light levels (pitch black)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PpT8inaQfWc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tc3nitro
28-07-17, 18:31
Warlord - Did all you g-metrix data appear when you create a video with the Garmin edit software ?

I can connect my obd2 to my camera but the only data thats available to me via the software are the std Garmin sensors built in to the camera.

Hoping I can find a work around.

Mark

Warlord
28-07-17, 19:32
Warlord - Did all you g-metrix data appear when you create a video with the Garmin edit software ?

I can connect my obd2 to my camera but the only data thats available to me via the software are the std Garmin sensors built in to the camera.

Hoping I can find a work around.

Mark

Private Message Sent.

In summary Yes, all the OBD2 data options appeared at the bottom of the G-Metrics list.

Give me a call and I'll try to help

tc3nitro
29-07-17, 14:08
I have a little update for anyone following this running a pre 2017 bike -

My bike is a 2015 non OBD2 bike the following are my findings over the past couple of days.

Garmin Virb XE installed on front mount Via Ezcan

I was hoping to run a similar setup to Warlord with the OBD2 bluetooth adaptor connected to a round ten pin to obd2 lead, but having purchased a conversion lead from eBay it appears this is not going to work - The adaptor powers up and I can connect it to my camera but I can't get it to transmit any data. I'm wondering if a GS-911blu unit would solve this issue ?

My Garmin Virb is connected via the Garmin rugged cable which I shortened, but I have now removed the battery in my camera. This means that once the Ezcan powers down (mines set to 12 secs after ignition off) the camera will shutdown as well.

Really impressed with the Virb having been a long time GoPro and Drift user.

Andi_archer
29-07-17, 14:46
Did you try an android app on your mobile to ensure its actually transmitting?

tc3nitro
29-07-17, 15:10
Did you try an android app on your mobile to ensure its actually transmitting?

I have tried it with my android tablet - I can connect to the device via bluetooth no problems but no data :confused:

Andi_archer
29-07-17, 15:33
Which device did you get,have a look see if theres a reset button located on the device if not it may be faulty?

Another alternative is to try it on a car to check the operation.

Warlord
29-07-17, 16:41
I have a little update for anyone following this running a pre 2017 bike -

My bike is a 2015 non OBD2 bike the following are my findings over the past couple of days.

Garmin Virb XE installed on front mount Via Ezcan

I was hoping to run a similar setup to Warlord with the OBD2 bluetooth adaptor connected to a round ten pin to obd2 lead, but having purchased a conversion lead from eBay it appears this is not going to work - The adaptor powers up and I can connect it to my camera but I can't get it to transmit any data. I'm wondering if a GS-911blu unit would solve this issue ?

My Garmin Virb is connected via the Garmin rugged cable which I shortened, but I have now removed the battery in my camera. This means that once the Ezcan powers down (mines set to 12 secs after ignition off) the camera will shutdown as well.

Really impressed with the Virb having been a long time GoPro and Drift user.

I know you've probably done some of this, but my fault finding would recommend the following.

a) Ensure you've done a software update on the Garmin Virb XE and Garmin Virb Edit. Make sure you're on the latest versions.

b) Ensure your Garmin Virb XE is creating G-Metrics Data on its own (without the OBD2 Data reader connected). Can you see this data on video uploads to Garmin Virb Edit Software? This will at least tell you the camera is working as it should.

c) Ensure the Garmin Virb XE Camera Menu Settings are correct. It should be set up as 'Main Virb' (not Extended Virb). It should not have any other Bluetooth Device Connected to it (except your OBD2 data reader).

d) Check your OBD2 Data reader is ELM327 compatible. If possible connect a mobile device with suitable APP and ensure the OBD2 reader is transmitting data when the motorcycle is turned on and running.

e) If the OBD2 isn't transmitting data...

- Check your conversion cable is ELM327 compatible.

- Check your motorcycle Canbus is compatible with ELM327 take a look here to see if this helps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELM327

The protocols supported by ELM327 are:

SAE J1850 PWM (41.6 kbit/s)
SAE J1850 VPW (10.4 kbit/s)
ISO 9141-2 (5 baud init, 10.4 kbit/s)
ISO 14230-4 KWP (5 baud init, 10.4 kbit/s)
ISO 14230-4 KWP (fast init, 10.4 kbit/s)
ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 500 kbit/s)
ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 500 kbit/s)
ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 250 kbit/s)
ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 250 kbit/s)
SAE J1939 (250kbps)
SAE J1939 (500kbps)

Warlord
30-07-17, 04:56
I found this Forum Thread on Pre-2017 models Canbus systems.

Go to PAGE 7 as it refers to ELM327 connectivity

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/anyone-use-a-standard-odb-canbus-diagnostic-tool-on-bmw.832636/

Warlord
30-07-17, 05:41
Which device did you get,have a look see if theres a reset button located on the device if not it may be faulty?

Another alternative is to try it on a car to check the operation.

From the article above, it appears BMW Canbus varies from model to model. This creates a sensitivity to which readers will work.

Also it suggests some OBD2 conversion cables haven't been wired correctly and may not work.

So it could be a bit of trial and error on pre-2017 models but not impossible.

I'd suggest read through the linked forum thread above

Warlord
30-07-17, 06:03

Did you buy this device in the end? Did it work?

My concern is it advertises a secure 128 bit encrypted link. This means it may not connect to the Garmin Virb Camera?

Anyone tested this?

tc3nitro
30-07-17, 13:28
Right I have tested the adaptor with the wife car and it's all working as expected....

I'm not sure where to go from here ?? I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried a working OBD2 adaptor and conversion lead.

_Tim_
01-08-17, 14:59
I have a very similar setup to the OP, except I'm on a 2017 R1200RT not a GS, sorry about that! And I'm using a VIRB Ultra 30. My bluetooth OBD2 adapter is the exact same one though, and it works a treat, except I've noticed the throttle position only goes to 85% when it's wide open.

Anyone else got this, or a fix?

Warlord
01-08-17, 15:42
I have a very similar setup to the OP, except I'm on a 2017 R1200RT not a GS, sorry about that! And I'm using a VIRB Ultra 30. My bluetooth OBD2 adapter is the exact same one though, and it works a treat, except I've noticed the throttle position only goes to 85% when it's wide open.

Anyone else got this, or a fix?

Got any footage we could look at?

_Tim_
02-08-17, 10:42
Got any footage we could look at?

https://youtu.be/icRY8JuisLI

The audio is out of sync, which is annoying, but apparently down to the XD card not being fully compatible with the VIRB Ultra 30. They are very picky on cards apparently.

Warlord
02-08-17, 13:44
https://youtu.be/icRY8JuisLI

The audio is out of sync, which is annoying, but apparently down to the XD card not being fully compatible with the VIRB Ultra 30. They are very picky on cards apparently.

Haha 15 seconds is that it... I was hoping for popcorn and at least 10 mins.. :beerjug:

_Tim_
02-08-17, 15:26
I've got an hour 58, but that's not much help with the WOT issue...

Andi_archer
02-08-17, 18:18
Theres also a smudge on your lens just where the speedo displays :rolleyes:

bogey
04-08-17, 13:04

All with no wires!!

Hi,

I am putting together a similar set up as time and money allow. Have my navigator vI and have picked up a Verb XE and a Verb X. Also got the bracket for mounting the Verb XE at the front. Hopefully will have the cameras mounted the weekend. I need to get the rugged power cables and wire them up and a couple of questions have arisen as follows:

1) For the rugged power cable I have come across a couple of options which can be seen at the following links;

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/543204

or

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/515318

The first is what I think you have used which is a straightforward power cable with the advantage of plenty of length.

The second includes a connection for an external mic and a video out connection.

Just wondering if as in your post below the bluetooth set up worked in giving you voice over on the video as if it did not the second option essentially gives a way of doing this.

For connecting power of have a fuse Block unit that allows powering of up to 6 accessories and can be configured to switch power to accessories on off with bike power by using a switch wire from something like the rear light. I also am looking to power a two way radio unit and possibly phone so probably 4 to 5 accessories. With this in mind I am just wondering which would be better the Fuse Block unit or the HEX EZCAN.

Any advice or comment would be appreciated.

Regards
B

Wapping
04-08-17, 13:21
A good thread keeps getting better.

An excellent mixture of advice, decent amounts of self help (so at least people are trying to work things out for themselves) and clear explanations where required. The Travel section could learn something from it.

Warlord
04-08-17, 13:30
Hi,

I am putting together a similar set up as time and money allow. Have my navigator vI and have picked up a Verb XE and a Verb X. Also got the bracket for mounting the Verb XE at the front. Hopefully will have the cameras mounted the weekend. I need to get the rugged power cables and wire them up and a couple of questions have arisen as follows:

1) For the rugged power cable I have come across a couple of options which can be seen at the following links;

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/543204

or

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/515318

The first is what I think you have used which is a straightforward power cable with the advantage of plenty of length.

The second includes a connection for an external mic and a video out connection.

Yes you are correct. The first cable is what I have (x2) one for each camera, connected to my power source (HEX EzCan). The 10M Rugged Cable.

Just wondering if as in your post below the bluetooth set up worked in giving you voice over on the video as if it did not the second option essentially gives a way of doing this

Yes the bluetooth Headset option does work. But the quality is not as good as having a wired in microphone.

I did look at the other cable option but had two main concerns

1) The camera appears to connect to this Combo Cable via a USB Connector (which I would then question its 'waterproof' properties).

2) The Microphone Port, again 'waterproof' properties and also where would you host the microphone location? Inside your helmet? or on the motorcycle? Either way, waterproofness and connected wires?

So for the Rugged Waterproof, go anywhere, do anything option... Bluetooth might be better as a compromise.

Or the perfect scenario in my opinion is a THIRD camera mounted on your helmet with a hard wired microphone connected to that. :bow Then you can forget Bluetooth voiceover, and use the Bluetooth channel on the Virb Camera for something else.

Warlord
04-08-17, 13:36
A good thread keeps getting better.

An excellent mixture of advice, decent amounts of self help (so at least people are trying to work things out for themselves) and clear explanations where required. The Travel section could learn something from it.

bogey
04-08-17, 20:33
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the 3 in 1 cable, looking at the photo of it I thought it connected to the camera with a similar wrap around type clamp to the charging cable or the rugged cable you have used and the 3 connections including the micro usb at are at the other end. I thought the micro usb is used for power/charging connection and a lead with a male micro USB is needed to connect it. I was thinking of using a male micro uUSB to Std USB coupled with a USB outlet to connect it to power on the bike.

For the audio connection, I intended to connect this with a lead to the passenger lead of an Inta-Ride Hawk Bluetooth Two/Way Radio/intercom unit that I am also going to install. The idea hear is that once I hit the PTT button on the Hawk and transmit the audio will be recorded on the camera, that way I can record only the commentary I want to the raid, all hardwired on the bike but using a bluetooth headset so no wires connected to the rider and all bike powered except the headset. Was thinking connections could be positioned appropriately for protection from the elements and maybe heat shrink the connections if necessary to be on the safe side.

Video connection wouldn't be used normally. The rugged cable is mooted as great for rugged environments, such as adventures on ATVs, motorcycles and more so must be weatherproof to certain degree and am thinking should be able to make it watertight.

On having a look after you raised the question I found this https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/523385

which seems to be a cable to connect from the Mini USB on the combo cable to a power supply.

Any thoughts o the Fuse Block vs the HEX EZCAN??

Bails
05-08-17, 00:07
Well I have now used the Virb setup on my trip to the Top of Australia. I did the following in the short prep time I had.

1) Mounted the Virb by Ram mount to crash Bar using long extension between two ball mounts. Stuck the quick release mount to one end so I could easily remove camera , and used a fishing trace for extra security.
2) Used 128 gig card in the Virb and set to 30 minute loop mode which gave 5 min segments. When I wanted to save I stopped and started the Virb through the Nav Vi.
3) Downloaded using spare cable to 1 Terra bite hard drive when time permitted.

Observations:

I have not rendered the data yet but the camera worked flawlessly in rain cold heat and very rough dirt road conditions. I have ordered a Hex Cam setup and will buy a second Virb so I can have front and rear crash cams.

Warlord
05-08-17, 05:28
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the 3 in 1 cable, looking at the photo of it I thought it connected to the camera with a similar wrap around type clamp to the charging cable or the rugged cable you have used and the 3 connections including the micro usb at are at the other end. I thought the micro usb is used for power/charging connection and a lead with a male micro USB is needed to connect it. I was thinking of using a male micro uUSB to Std USB coupled with a USB outlet to connect it to power on the bike.

For the audio connection, I intended to connect this with a lead to the passenger lead of an Inta-Ride Hawk Bluetooth Two/Way Radio/intercom unit that I am also going to install. The idea hear is that once I hit the PTT button on the Hawk and transmit the audio will be recorded on the camera, that way I can record only the commentary I want to the raid, all hardwired on the bike but using a bluetooth headset so no wires connected to the rider and all bike powered except the headset. Was thinking connections could be positioned appropriately for protection from the elements and maybe heat shrink the connections if necessary to be on the safe side.

Video connection wouldn't be used normally. The rugged cable is mooted as great for rugged environments, such as adventures on ATVs, motorcycles and more so must be weatherproof to certain degree and am thinking should be able to make it watertight.

On having a look after you raised the question I found this https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/523385

which seems to be a cable to connect from the Mini USB on the combo cable to a power supply.

Any thoughts o the Fuse Block vs the HEX EZCAN??

Sounds really good.

Never used a fuzeblock so can't comment sorry.

Warlord
05-08-17, 05:29
Well I have now used the Virb setup on my trip to the Top of Australia. I did the following in the short prep time I had.

1) Mounted the Virb by Ram mount to crash Bar using long extension between two ball mounts. Stuck the quick release mount to one end so I could easily remove camera , and used a fishing trace for extra security.
2) Used 128 gig card in the Virb and set to 30 minute loop mode which gave 5 min segments. When I wanted to save I stopped and started the Virb through the Nav Vi.
3) Downloaded using spare cable to 1 Terra bite hard drive when time permitted.

Observations:

I have not rendered the data yet but the camera worked flawlessly in rain cold heat and very rough dirt road conditions. I have ordered a Hex Cam setup and will buy a second Virb so I can have front and rear crash cams.

I'd like to see some footage once its ready.

Bails
05-08-17, 07:50
I'd like to see some footage once its ready.

Will take some time as there is a lot of data, I am just starting to work out how to do the editing side of things. My mates were so impressed with this set up that two of them did the same and ordered on the go. I have just ordered another XE as the X isn't much difference in price. I have a high quality OBD blue tooth reader I use for my Range Rover I just need the cable extension which I will sort. Will do a better install now I am back and have some time to spare. Your thread was very helpful , One of the guys on the trip purchased an X in Cairns and used his watch to turn on and off so there are other options besides the Nav.