Converting track to route question

vRSG60

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK, I've downloaded a series of tracks for Route de Grand Alps. 36 or so in total.
I can join these tracks into one track and convert it into a route. However this route only has 2 waypoints in it, the start & finish yet it follows the original path of the track (which has lots of points to follow all in the correct order).
How does the route know to take the path of the original track from A to B even though the Basecamp setting would take an entirely different route?

Can you not turn each/some track points into a way-point and vice versa? If you right click over one of the points I think it gives you some options.

Load the route into your device. Zoom in. Does it look right? Phew, job done.

No?

Report back.

When I created the route it also created waypoints but didn't add them to the route. I've added these in order & the route is different in parts to the track.
If I create a new route and just add the start & finish point I get a totally different route.

Attachments

• base 1.jpg
    base 1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 126
Below in magenta is the route created from the track. Cyan is the same start & end point but with the waypoints added.

Weird.

Attachments

• base 2.JPG
    base 2.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 121
To save a lot of time and fecking about, please can you post the track you wish to run as a route on your GPS device here. Thank you.

Have you checked the route preference settings... If you put a start and end point in it will route according to your preference (non motorway / motorway etc).

Can't upload it exceeds file size.

I think it may be to do with the web site I got the track from being primarily a bicycle site. The route I made doesn't like the D2202

Have you checked the route preference settings... If you put a start and end point in it will route according to your preference (non motorway / motorway etc).

All the setting are the same.

No real worries, I was only playing with Basecamp to try to get a better understanding of it. failed miserably there!

I think it may be to do with the web site I got the track from being primarily a bicycle site. The route I made doesn't like the D2202

All the setting are the same.

Is the D2202 either an unmade road or seasonally closed? In either case if you want to use it you need to ensure that these two things are not selected as avoidances

John

-(quote) How does the route know to take the path of the original track from A to B even though the Basecamp setting would take an entirely different route?

It knows this because you have used tracks that you have then converted to a route, Tracks will not alter it is a direction or route that you must take with no alterations so if you convert a track into a route the route will follow said track to the letter.

Just looked at my Garmin map your D2202 becomes the D902 which I think you will find is the Col de l'Iseran which I am pretty sure is a seasonally closed road. Garmin devices usually come with "avoid seasonal closures" as a default setting. Try unticking that one and you should be fine.

John

Host it on Dropbox or summat similar or post the exact link to the website page you downloaded the track from, please.

Here.
You have to select start and end point from one waypoint to the next and end up with 36 routes wich can be joined together. A pain I know. The file I downloaded is at work & I'm at home.

Here you go.

I didn't do it quite as you suggested. I created the route by eye from the bicycle webpage you linked to. It is coloured green. As far as I can see there aren't any obvious glitches in it and it follows the bicycle route. To make it I asked BaseCamp to give me A (Geneva) to B (Nice) in one single run. I then dragged the route around until it matched the bicycle route. The points I dragged the route to are meaningless, only used by me to shape the route, so I converted them to unannounced shaping points.

I then asked BaseCamp to convert the route into a track, coloured grey. So, you now have:

1. A route A (Geneva) to B (Nice)

2. A track A (Geneva) to B (Nice). You may find the track useful, I don't know. If you don't ignore it.

The whole lot is hosted on Dropbox as a .gpx file, created on a Mac. On download it should open straight up in BaseCamp or in Mapsource. You might find that it opens as a load of words in a text file. Do not panic! For some unknown reason the original .gpx file can gain a .txt extension. Download the file as normal, save it and then rename it by cutting off the .txt bit but leave the .gpx bit. All should then be good.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2axurr8m2ahk3c/Bicycle thing.GPX?dl=0

Let us know how you get on now, please.

Richard

Thanks Wapping, that worked, as did turning off date & time closures (I'd not noticed that option before).

Thanks to you all.

Thanks Wapping, that worked, as did turning off date & time closures (I'd not noticed that option before).

Thanks to you all.

Many people have missed it, early Nav Vs came without the option which was added in a software update. Garmin seem to think avoiding date and time closures should be a default setting so folk need to check and un tick it. When lived in Austria this avoidance setting was useful in winter (in the car) to avoid being sent over passes that would be closed. On a bike these seasonally closed roads are often just the roads we want to be on

John

Back
Top Bottom