Spain advice please

Steve V

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In july I'm riding down to Alicante and the wife is flying. What I would like to know is how much time to allow? I will be ferrying probably to Bilbao. Im not in a desperate hurry but would be interested to know how quick it can be done, and also an average steady time. Any handy stopovers would be useful if anyone can recommend any.

Thanks
Steve

I've done Mabella to Bilbao in a day but, although Alicante isn't as far, I would recomend doing it in two hits and taking a relaxing ride down.

You'll probably be ok if you leave 2 hours before departure for her.
You probably won't need to stop overnight on the way to the airport.
Get a good local map - airports can be confusing.

:D

Thanks for your feedback that makes it much clearer. I will allow four days each way for the journey. Two days from Durham to plymouth. Then two days from Santander to Alicante.

Cheers
Steve

Santander/Alicante

I did this trip a few years ago. Ferry gets to Santander about 1200, and it will be about 1245 before you get on the road. We were riding quite briskly and arrived just south of Alicante about 3pm the next day. Treat yourself to an overnight stop in a Paradore!

Mike

Thanks Mike I will be consulating my map later

Cheers

Steve

A couple of years ago I did the leg to Plymouth overnite (from Newcastle) in one trip (stopping only for fuel snacks and coffee and I must say I was a bit knackered when I got on the ferry, but sleeping helped pass the sailing time :). I did also have the missus with me for company

We did the return leg in daylight and its was a lot easier. Depending on sailing time I say durham to plymouth isnt too bad in one hit (ie daylight riding). Though my butt would disagree (all done on a 1150GS Adventure) it ran out of tolerance before the fuel did.

Ride down through Burgos and Soria than overnight in Teruel (great parador). Then its a gentle ride of say 230 -250 the next day with a stop in Valencia for lunch.

I did Madrid - Manchester in a day and a half using the tunnel on my R1150GS. From Bilbao head for Logrono then the N111 down to the E90 and head towards Madrid. From there to Toledo, its beautiful but a bit of a pain to negotiate on a big bike fully loaded.Take the N109 down to Cordoba then the N311 to the N382 head for Ronda (best Parador in all of Spain). From there its a simple ride to the coast but a great road. If memory serves this route is toll free and avoiding motorways help avoid trucks with tired African drivers which just pull out without looking. I'm off to Tarragona next month can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom