Portugal best way down?

split28

Going for an 11ish day break in Portugal in early August.

Flights to Faro are £250ish and then I got thinking about riding down with the missus and meeting the rest of my family out there.

Whats the best way down and time it would take riding straight there?

And how much inc fuel etc?

Is it worth hiring a bike when I'm down there?

thanking you in anticipation

Martin

Best way down

Take the ferry to N. Spain. Yes its not cheap...BUT.... Add up M.way tolls,2 nights accom. tyre wear, ear bending from her on't back and general plastic flexing and there's not a vast amount in it, plus you get to the sunshine without too much risk of a drowning when the heavens open, Ive done both and thats the route I prefer, but its all down to choice. Mike

...another option may be the motorail from Calais, it would get you down to Spain and then bike the rest?

Go through the top of northern Spain before heading down to Portugal. Pyrenees, Basque Region, Picos etc.....

Portugeuse Highlights

We did Cherbourg to Stubel (South of Lisbon) and back to Bibao in 10 days easy. Execpt for the first day in fance (Cherbourg to Bayonne) we travelled early and tried to get to the next stop by lunch time. Spanish transport cafes are ace, simple cheap food, bikers always welcome. The one on the Spain portugal border sold Glenfidditch in 10 litre bottles. it must get cold at nights there!

Top tips. Salamanca is amazing. Worth an overnight. Roads around Porto are brilliant, even in the rain. If you're into good wine and great food try lunch at the Taylors winery in Porto. Have fun.
:shoot:

split28 said:
Going for an 11ish day break in Portugal in early August.

Martin

What did you decide to do?

I'm thinking about heading from London->Lisbon over New Year for the start of the 2006 Dakar.

Jeremy

Back
Top Bottom