R 9 T Urban 800 mile trip

snaponphil

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just on way back from the Spanish Pyrenees with my Urban & my mates F700gs (currently in a secure car park in Paris both in the back of my Vivaro)
We drove down to Marmande with the bikes in the van (boring motorway bit)
We fitted a rear rack in hotel car park & a Kreiga 10L pack (wasn't big enough & doesnt come with securing straps)
I already had the Motech cloth panniers fitted, BUT, as soon as you add a weeks clothing the straps are too short so had to rely on the 2 small end buckles to close bags.
SO, can you tour on the Urban.? In a word YES if you travel reasonably light.
The first 90 miles were motorway/main roads, until we went through the Tunnel high in the Pyrenees, we headed to the N260 to Ainsa for first night stop in hotel, then followed the sat nav to Sort, then to destination Andorra 🇦🇩 Mostly on the N260..
Did a few tracks & off road on the Urban, never thought needed an engine bash plate but it bottoms out & scratches the sump. Dropped bike a few times & no damage except to the plastic engine/rocker guards, which amazingly didn't break & did their job pretty well.
Also amazingly the Motech panniers saved the bike as they were filled with clothing & acted as a cushion. (Lucky)
Dumped the Kreiga pack & bought a Bagster tail pack in Andorra which seems perfect for the bike.
Return journey similar route except we came over the Pyrenees via the A-136 Sallent de Gallego, Aragon Spain which is a much better route..
All in all, a great bike fitted with Tck-80 nobbly tyres & loved nearly every minute on it.
The seat I found reasonably comfy but 200 miles of mountain roads & my thighs were chafing, more my clothing than the seat I think..
Enjoy..

I toured with a lad in the 1990's on a Ducati 888 super bike
We went to the south of France to the Bol D'Or for 9 days
He wore a leather suit, with 1 piece rain suit as a waist pack
All his luggage & belongings for a week were in a medium sized tank bag - no bigger than a GS day bag
He had a washkit, 2 t shirts, some pants & socks, a pair of shorts, a cap, sun cream, travel wash & a pair of flip flops and a thin wool Pringle jumper - stuffed in that tank bag

A map was in the map pocket of the tank bag & direction towns were scribbled on cafe serviettes

Both of us has no phones, no iPad or gps etc

Simple and basic touring and it worked

We take too much now and our bikes are laden like cart horses

We take too much now and our bikes are laden like cart horses

Agreed. This is my luggage from a 9 night trip, and I still overpacked.:blast:p

Attachments

• IMG_7209.jpg
    IMG_7209.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 468
Yes but you were wearing all your clothes :D

bubblesuit.jpg

Back