Route advice please: Le Havre - Alps - Le Havre 5 days

Bateman

Reaction score
My good wife has allowed me 5 days to go exploring on my bike so I have booked the ferry to le Havre, and a hotel in Andermatt for 2 nights. Given the relatively short time I have and the fact that it will be my first ever trip to the Alps, I plan to do the following and would be grateful for any thoughts on this route...

Arrive Le Havre 6.30am Thurs morning
Ride all day Thursday to Albertville and stay in Formule 1
Fri morning go to Bourg St Maurice, do the col d'iseran each way, back to Bourg S.M then the Cormet De Roseland - flumet - chamonix - Martigny and then head up to Andermatt for fri night.
Spend Saturday riding the passes around Andermatt and stay in Andermatt overnight.
Sunday head up to Interlaken and Grindelwald, then head back across to Lausanne and off towards Le Havre again, stopping somewhere en route for the night.
Monday morning head to Le Havre to catch a mid-afternoon ferry back home?

So my question is..is this a good enough route for a first time trip, is it too ambitious or can I fit more in, should I try and do the Stelvio whilst I am there. I have read all the threads and despite what has been said about Andermatt, feel it will be okay for a 2 night base. the hotel is bookd so can't change that but your advice would be appreciated. Thanks

At the top of the Susten pass is a narrow road heading south to the Steingleicher (stone glacier)

Andermatt-16-sustengroup.jpg

Andermatt-16-glacier.jpg

You can also walk up to the glacier at Belvedere Hotel on the Furka pass.

Tim

You should be OK with that. I've just come back from the Alps (stayed in Grindelwald) and made the journey fropm le havre in a day no problem. But...

Its a drag on the motorways all the way and pretty boring. On the waty back we joined up a series of the scenic routes identified in the Michelin map of France. 13 hours from Grindlewald to Le Havre but some of the most stunning roads. May be worth a consideration.

Otherwise enjoy, you'll love every minute of it.

Just come back from a 7 day in the alps. I have lots of suggestions if your interested as its our 3rd trip.

mickeyandminnie said:
Just come back from a 7 day in the alps. I have lots of suggestions if your interested as its our 3rd trip.

Definitely interested in your routes, guys, but your profile on here doesn't allow you receive personal mails.

PM me with your home email address? Me and SWMBO are planning a Swiss visit for September.

Cheers,

Neil.

Sponsorship

mickeyandminnie said:
cant seem to pm you - what am i missing:confused:

To use this facility you have to be a Forum sponsor £10.00 per year see the Sponsor link at the top of the page. Opens many a door for you.

Regd's K

Back
Top Bottom