PDA

View Full Version : speed camera data base

jonnyboy
05-06-05, 19:29
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/walterwright/

found this thread on a gps site, thought others with garmin units might find it v helpfull ! i am using it with my 2610

steveuk
05-06-05, 20:23
v.good! (it takes a long time searching GPS websites for such info.)

- i have downloaded the map - does anyone know if it will work with my BMW Navigator 2? (it's just a re-badged Garmin unit..)

thanks!

jonnyboy
05-06-05, 20:28
should work no prob its just an overlay. export it to your garmin with mapsource

carbold
05-06-05, 21:33
surely am doing something wrong....I've just bought the quest so I'm useless. I uploaded the map and the city select has disappeared from the quest...there's only the speedcameras one now...

metro
05-06-05, 21:46
In MapSource, you need to select the map in addition to your City Select/Navigator maps. When you upload map information it deletes the maps that were already on the unit.

Works really well, thanks jonnyboy.

carbold
05-06-05, 22:08
Thanx!
I've just uploaded all the maps together and it does work! I didn't know that when you upload some new map everything in the quest memory is deleted!

Deleted account W
05-06-05, 22:20
Brilliant!

Downloaded it to my Quest and works a treat.

It's even got the Spec cameras that went up two months ago on the A52 a mile from my house.

Can anyone explain what the details on each camera mean?

See pic below.....

jonnyboy
05-06-05, 22:43
Key to maps:
Gatso / Truvelo - Red
Temporary Cameras - White
SPECS - Blue
Mobile Cameras - Green
Traffic Light Cameras - Multi-coloured

may help

swebb
05-06-05, 23:26
Ok... so i'm a bit of a numpty here...

for my Quest... can someone explain exactly what i do with this file?

I assume i open it in Mapsource which will then effectively overlay itself over my normal UK map?

then select the whole of UK for example (inc the new map) and upload it to the Quest unit?

Is that correct?

If not, can someone please explain in noddy terms what the process should be?

Thanks...

Stu.

carbold
05-06-05, 23:43
then select the whole of UK for example (inc the new map) and upload it to the Quest unit?
That's exactly what I've done and it worked

GSKev
06-06-05, 09:35
Help please :confused:
I've downloaded ok and can see the cameras in mapsource but only as a stand alone not as an overlay to City Nav/Select.
I want to plan a route avoiding cameras on my computer so should I be able to apply the overlay onto the maps on my computer if so how ?
or does this only happen when you transfer the data to the unit ?
Thanks
:beerjug:

carbold
06-06-05, 10:56
The maps will overlay when you upload them. I don't know if you can set the cameras as "avoidances". That would be good....

Deleted account W
06-06-05, 11:29
Originally posted by carbold
I don't know if you can set the cameras as "avoidances". That would be good....

I think it would take you on some very strange routes if you set it to avoid them all :rolleyes:

GlynnJ
06-06-05, 18:29
Can someone please give a simple, definitive answer... should it be possible to see the SafetyCamerasUK map and the City Navigator 7 map on the PC screen at the same time? I can't make that happen!

Glynn

Deleted account W
06-06-05, 18:43
Originally posted by GlynnJ
Can someone please give a simple, definitive answer... should it be possible to see the SafetyCamerasUK map and the City Navigator 7 map on the PC screen at the same time? I can't make that happen!

Glynn

No, not on the pc, only on the GPS

GlynnJ
06-06-05, 19:31
Ok. Thanks.

y2blade
06-06-05, 19:49
will i be able to put this on my GARMIN 60CS when it arrives ;) ?????

Burdocks
06-06-05, 20:05
Real added value, well done JonnyBoy. Works a treat on the 2610.:beerjug:

Fanum
06-06-05, 20:29
It was probably me, but this morning I downloaded the file and unzipped it to a new folder- then when I clicked on it to install, I got an 'unable to open' type message....I ignored it and the install front screen opened up, but then Mapsource wouldn't open with a 'mapsource registry is corrupt, please reinstall mapsourse' message......

I had to uninstal it all first to get it working again, and although I got the same 'unable to open' message from the sped cam prog, Map source is fine now.

So just an idea....if you are installing this map, might be worth checking that you do have your map source disks and unlock codes just in case it all goes tits up :)

judge
06-06-05, 20:39
Originally posted by y2blade
will i be able to put this on my GARMIN 60CS when it arrives ;) ?????

Yes except you'll have no road context (well except the major ones anyway).

You do realise its 5 per question don't you ;)

Eddy802
07-06-05, 08:25
Absolutely top stuff.

Many, many thanks.

nick
07-06-05, 11:06
Just finished downloading onto my Quest - works perfectly.

I used Mapsource 7 and Quest software 3.30.

I cannot look at the speed camera map in Mapsource at the same time as the regular map, but if I select this map and download it to the Quest together with the regular maps, it displays correctly.

Looks pretty accurate for cameras local to me (SE London/N Kent)

Eddy802
07-06-05, 11:21
GS Kev,

I've had a quick play with the avoid idea, and whilst I agree that avoiding all cameras will provide for some crazy results, you can avoid certain roads that have a string of cameras quite easily....

In Mapsource, with the camera map selected and zoomed to the area of consideration you can, in some instances see strings of cameras. You can mark a start and end WP where these strings are most heavily noticeable. Create a route between them, but in this view the route will be a straight line. Switch to your normal map selection and recalculate, and in most instances the routing will be along the road with the string of cameras. Although at this stage the cameras positions will not be visible, you have identified the road to add to the custom avoids...

I used the A68 north form the northern edge of the Northumberland National Park to the junction with the A6093. This string is clearly visible, and those mixed more tightly with conurbation might prove more fiddly to create avoids for.

jimbo
07-06-05, 19:34
Loaded sucessfully and great except...
When I zoom out, everything disappears on the map under a sea of red blobs. only when I get to 20m scale do they disappear. Is there any way I can make the blobs only appear at a higher zoom?
J

Eddy802
07-06-05, 20:39
I noticed the dissapearance and could change it using the detail option. At highest they didn't dissapear until zoomed out to 70m.

Fanum
07-06-05, 23:05
I know I sound like I'm moaning as I had a prob with it before, but watch out....It's not a full list by any means.

I found two cameras in Birmingham today that weren't on the map (though I don't know how old the cmeras are) and one on the A508 at the junction of the A14 south of Harborough...and I do know that the Truevelo there has been erected for at least two years.

Still, a good thing to have loaded ;)

unhinged
08-06-05, 08:07
Make a waypoint next time you're passing and submit it to them to add to their database.

Joe
08-06-05, 17:31
Not having a PC for the best part of 40 Years I am totally useless at anything like down loading the speed camera data so, can some one be so kind and treat me like a little kid and explain how I down load it, step by step.
Appreciated.

R' J

Joe
08-06-05, 17:31
Not having a PC for the best part of 40 Years I am totally useless at anything like down loading the speed camera data so, can some one be so kind and treat me like a little kid and explain how I down load it, step by step.
Appreciated.

R' J

Yosi
08-06-05, 18:48
OK> Clever guys:
I followed the instructions carefully and although I can open the cameras map on Map source, I don't see the map on the Quest.
Advice, please?

Fanum
08-06-05, 19:04
Yosi...if you can see it on Map source on your PC, you're very nearly there....

Just select 'European city select 6' or whatever set of maps you have from the map source menu as normal and sort out whatever maps you want to upload, then go back to where it says 'European city select 6' or whatever and you should see 'safety cameras uk 3.054' as a map set.......select that, then with he map select tool, click on the map on the screen (this overlay covers the whole of the uk in one hit so you can't go wrong).

Then upload the maps in the normal way (select upload, maps ;) ) and it'll upload both the maps you've chosen and the overlay together.

Make sense??

Joe...start from the beginning again and tell us how far you've got......presumably you've downloaded the map (overlay) from the link at the top of the thread???

Open it from wherever you saved it by double clicking on it, then go to map source and follow the instructions for Yosi......that should do the trick.

If not, post again and we'll get you sorted.

Yosi
08-06-05, 19:16
Thanks Fanum. The problem is that I don't see the Cameras map as a mapset but as an option on the pull down menu where Map Source is one option. When I open Map source V. 6 I don't see the cameras map as map set to upload...Capisce?

Deleted account W
08-06-05, 19:31
Yosi, from an earlier post in this thread............

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by GlynnJ

Glynn
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, not on the pc, only on the GPS

hops
09-06-05, 02:00
I can't get past the unzip part. Ii've unzipped the files to a seperate folder then when i click on the setup.exe file it comes up with an error message as below. Am I 'kin stoopid or what?

Fanum
09-06-05, 08:27
Originally posted by hops
I can't get past the unzip part. Ii've unzipped the files to a seperate folder then when i click on the setup.exe file it comes up with an error message as below. Am I 'kin stoopid or what?

I got a similar mesage hops...I clicked 'ignore' and it opened anyway :confused:

Worth a try.

steveuk
09-06-05, 08:34
had a chance to upload the speed camera data base to my BMW sat nav II last night. all works well as it should. thanks very much for the link to the database. top post!

Phil Thomas
09-06-05, 08:55
Hops,

I wonder if you are clicking on the right "Setup.exe" file?

I found that after unzipping to my Unzipped Folder there were a number of "setup.exe " files to choose from. I had to browse around to find the correct one by time and date.

Just a thought.

Regards to all,

unhinged
09-06-05, 09:35
Originally posted by steveuk
thanks very much for the link to the database. top post!
I'll second that. Thanks.

RunningBear
09-06-05, 10:18
Hi All,

Have managed to download this file, but cant open it to Mapsource (Quest) When trying to import, mapsource tells me it will only import certain files?

Could someone help with getting the camera map to my mapsource programme

Thanks in advance

Tony

markie_wales
10-06-05, 16:32
jonnyboy

Thanks for the post - your a star - 2610 all sorted!

cheers

Mark

y2blade
10-06-05, 17:03
help me please this is all i get!!!

Fanum
10-06-05, 17:31
help me please this is all i get!!!

Congratulations, you've managed to find the only 30 mile by forty mile rectangle of Britain that doesn't have any speed cameras ;)

One presumes that you've tried zooming out a bit???

:D

y2blade
10-06-05, 17:42
Originally posted by Fanum
Congratulations, you've managed to find the only 30 mile by forty mile rectangle of Britain that doesn't have any speed cameras ;)

One presumes that you've tried zooming out a bit???

cant see nything just a grid,how do i overlay it to the map of uk?

please

y2blade
10-06-05, 17:46
cant see nything just a grid,how do i overlay it to the map of uk?

please

:)

just need to overlay it onto the map...how ???please

unhinged
10-06-05, 17:54
In that picture you've posted, you've selected the saftey camera map. Now change to another product, e.g. City Navigator or whatever you've got. Then, select the maps you want from there too. It'll add them to that list on the left hand side. You just upload your selected maps along with the safety camera map to your GPS and bingo! You can't get them to appear together in mapsource which I think is where the confusion lies but all loaded to the GPS and they work fine.

y2blade
10-06-05, 17:56
Originally posted by unhinged
In that picture you've posted, you've selected the saftey camera map. Now change to another product, e.g. City Navigator or whatever you've got. Then, select the maps you want from there too. It'll add them to that list on the left hand side. You just upload your selected maps along with the safety camera map to your GPS and bingo! You can't get them to appear together in mapsource which I think is where the confusion lies but all loaded to the GPS and they work fine.

awsome thanks ,just trying to upload it now! :thumb

y2blade
10-06-05, 18:03
sorted cheers :thumb

JAY
11-06-05, 19:18
I've downloaded the speed camera info from Mapsource together with the maps onto the Quest and it shows up on the Quests map page ok but no cameras are being displayed! Where am I going wrong?

ianm00
11-06-05, 23:48
All,

I have a PDA running tomtom (checkpoint for speed cameras) which provides an audible 30 sexond speed camera warning.

Im thinking of buying a 2610. When using this map I see that it shows camera locations on the screen. Is it possible to make the 2610 provide an audible warning when approaching speed cameras similar to tomtom/checkpoint on a PDA.

Thanks

Ian

Deleted account W
11-06-05, 23:53
Originally posted by ianm00
All,

I have a PDA running tomtom (checkpoint for speed cameras) which provides an audible 30 sexond speed camera warning.

Im thinking of buying a 2610. When using this map I see that it shows camera locations on the screen. Is it possible to make the 2610 provide an audible warning when approaching speed cameras similar to tomtom/checkpoint on a PDA.

Thanks

Ian

No, your bolloxed in that respect when you have a Garmin :rolleyes:

Nick Marshall
12-06-05, 06:34
hi lads, can anyone help? tried to download the above speed camera file, and also the audio update on the garmin website,
I have a 2610 with map source 7, and i have windows 98. what i get is..

My document \ Nick \ sc-garmin-3.054.1 exe could not be imported A problem was found near line 0. No spaces were found after the record ID any ideas regards nick 01869 346186

Airfan
18-06-05, 22:29
Is the audible warning something that Garmin could change with a software update?

Rob

Fanum
18-06-05, 22:55
Originally posted by 1100gsfan
Is the audible warning something that Garmin could change with a software update?

Rob

Yes.

The unit already says things like 'Arriving at destination' and '400 yards to via point', so there's no reason why not.

Maybe if enough of us suggest it to them???

Bryn
19-06-05, 16:35
Originally posted by Eddy802
Absolutely top stuff.

Many, many thanks.

I'll second that... juat managed to download... and thanks to Bill (Fanum) for his simple instructions for numpties ;)

Bryn :beerjug:

Yosi
19-06-05, 17:44
Thanks Bill for the simple instructions. \The Quest ignored the overlay for a few days but suddenly the red dotd are there...

Fanum
19-06-05, 18:24
OK, so now it's time for everyone to email Garmin and ask politely if they'd add custom made P.O.I's (which is what we're dealing with here) to have an alert feature.

Point out (politely) that it would add value to what is already a leading product.....tell them that if they don't, they'll lose out to the PDA brigade....and fingers crossed, we'll get a firmware update that'll make the quest/2610 into a perfick device ;)

shuck raider
19-06-05, 20:35
I'd be all for the idea, but I wonder if there might be legal issues for Garmin in adapting the software as has been suggested?

Alte Wolf
19-06-05, 20:38
Originally posted by shuck raider
I'd be all for the idea, but I wonder if there might be legal issues for Garmin in adapting the software as has been suggested?

Lets all email them and find out :beerjug:

Just did ... lets see the response, if any.

TheJoker
21-06-05, 20:23
Brilliant! Just uploaded it to my Garmin eTrex Legend C - worked perfectly - All I had to do was figure out which button is the map-button. :)

Excellent stuff!

Ken B
01-07-05, 15:27
I have just purchased a quest from GSD (Aldermaston) and in the process discussed camera warnings - apparently there are plans to create this category of POI which would then allow an audible warning sign. Software is in beta test apparently so emails may speed it up.

BTW these guys were very helpful and apart from taking the time to explain the unit and software provided a cuppa!

Now to try and dwonload/setup this camera map.

Cheers

Ken

Ken B
01-07-05, 16:24
Excellent, thanks

Ken

GrinningGSer
01-07-05, 20:16

I have the same issue. Have unzipped the files and setup.exe gives the same error message

I think that I am defeated :(

On an additional point- and I am new to Quest- how do you stop routes displaying in city select, because the highlighting is ruining the map view ?

gowenwilliams
21-07-05, 18:03
My Quest seems to be ignoring the overlay, so I get no red dots. Tried everything to get it to work, but no luck so far. :confused:

Yosi, you mentioned "The Quest ignored the overlay for a few days but suddenly the red dotd are there...". Did you ever work out why this happened? It looks great in Mapsource but just won't display on the quest.

Cheers all, :beerjug:

Owen

rob_yorky
22-07-05, 00:18
i had the same problem - couldnt see the camera map on the quest.

sorted the problem by upgrading the quests system software from v2 to v3.5.

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00306-00

gowenwilliams
22-07-05, 08:53
Cheers Rob,

Working great now!

:beerjug:

GrinningGSer
06-08-05, 21:01
Every time i try to open the setup.exe file, I get the windows error 'The system file is not suitable' exactly as 'Hops' displayed

Running WinXP SP2

Any ideas ?

Nick Marshall
02-09-05, 16:51
update @ 31.08.05 still hasnt got all the speed cameras, so be warned.... nick

ALEXG
26-09-05, 14:34
Noticed some history on this point - Anyone found a way of making Speed camera locations audible yet , software updates etc ?

neily
10-10-05, 21:42
Quest now up and running with speed camera warnings :clap :clap :clap

Thanks all :bow

Flashman
11-10-05, 12:05
I must be doing something wrong as I have followed the instructions on this forum to a "T" but still cannot get the speed camera info to appear on my Quest. The speed camera map appears in the large Map Source pane when I select it from the drop down menu but the City Select does not appear in the box directly below the drop down menu at any time. However, if I select the City Select map in the drop down menu, this map does appear in the large pane. I just cannot get any maps to appear in the pane below the drop down menu other than by uploading all maps from the Quest itself. All ideas relating to this post gratefully accepted. :confused:

neily
11-10-05, 12:26
Flashman, have you downloaded and updated the internal software on your quest ?

Flashman
11-10-05, 18:31
Yes, the latest versions of Quest Updates & Downloads:

Unit Software
Quest Ver. 3.50 as of June 14, 2005

Additional Software
xImage Ver. 2.3 as of March 23, 2005

Voice Guidance Languages
Quest Audio British English Ver. 3.00 as of April 29, 2005

I have just downloaded the latest beta version of Mapsource aswell but still get the same problem in that I cannot get the mapset to appear beneath the dropdown menu. I can select European City Select v6 or Speed cameras from the drop down menu but cannot get either to appear in the pane below this menu as per Fanum's post. I'll give it one last try & go about it another way...... :eek

neily
11-10-05, 18:44
The box directly below dropdown menu should only display info text of maps selected to load to quest unit.

I think it's only the large window to the right that displays any maps, speed cameras etc

I hope I'm right in saying this as I only started using the software yesterday, sure someone will put us both right if I'm talkin shite :o

GrinningGSer
11-10-05, 20:49
and still beaten.. cannot open the setup.exe file... any ideas :(

neily
11-10-05, 21:36
Is that the exact file name: setup.exe ?

my unzipped folder shows it as: SETUP (with the pc icon)

GrinningGSer
12-10-05, 18:30
Yes neilly it is.
I suspect that your folder settings are set so as not to show the file extensions

When I try and run the .exe file, I get a windows message- not suitable for MA DOS or Windows applications- and I am sure that the zip file is a windows download, unless the download link is wrong ?? SC-Garmin-3.094.1.exe ? :(

neily
12-10-05, 18:40
Yes, 3.094.1

Do you want me to email my zip file, it's less than 900kb, maybe worth a try ?

GrinningGSer
12-10-05, 18:54
I am willing to try anything, the download is 891Kb and I have tried it again and it will not run, so I am dubious. I am wondering if something in my XP2 settings is stopping it but have been unable to sort this

do you PM me for an email address ? Not done this before on this site ?

neily
12-10-05, 19:08
PM'd :thumb

Greybeard
18-10-05, 20:50
Just about to try this (looks cool) - wondered if anyone had a similar download for radar sites in France? I saw Garmin has released a free POI uploader, which I now have - just need the data .....

Flashman
19-10-05, 12:31
Looking but not seeing! :confused:

Flashman
19-10-05, 17:39
Just got the whole thing working! It helps if you know what you're doing & read the instructions before using the product!! - here's (http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapsourceTutorial.html) what I should have read before I started playing!

PegLeg
28-10-05, 10:33
I have downloaded everything successfully on to my Streetpilot 3 but I can only get the cameras to show at a scale of 0.5 miles and less. When I zoom out to anything higher (0.8 miles +) the cameras disappear. Is this a quirk of the Streetpilot 3 or have I done something wrong?

PegLeg

ianm00
28-10-05, 17:56
I have downloaded everything successfully on to my Streetpilot 3 but I can only get the cameras to show at a scale of 0.5 miles and less. When I zoom out to anything higher (0.8 miles +) the cameras disappear. Is this a quirk of the Streetpilot 3 or have I done something wrong?

PegLeg

I would like the opposite of this function on my 2610. When I zoom in on the map the cameras show fine. However when I zoom out to show the full route the 2610 screen just becomes full of red camera dots and you cannot see anything useful.

When following a route I like the autozoom feature but is there a way that I can make the 2610 turn off the cameras if zoomed about above a certain scale.

As PegLeg has found this feature on the Streetpilot 3 I assume that the 2610 will also have this feature. Can anyone advise and answer both Pegleg and my questions

Thanks

Ian

Nick Marshall
01-11-05, 19:58
speed camera database updated 31/10/05

Droopy Dick
02-11-05, 11:13
Hm ...

I'm having problems that I think might be simple to resolve ... it's just that I don't think like Garmin.

I've installed this map option and can see the data on the PC screen

I've selected the 'map tool', highlghted the Safety Cammera map and sent it to my 2610.

A dialogue box appears on my PC telling me that the data was sent successfully (and very quickly!).

However, I get a message on the 2610 screen that says 'Detail Maps Don't Support Routing', and all my fine detail disappears from the screen. There seems to be nothing visible under the 2 mile scale.

OK, the 'Safety Cameras' are visible, but none of the roads or village names.

Have I done something wrong?

Or do they all look like this?

markie_wales
02-11-05, 12:54
just that I don't think like Garmin.

I've installed this map option and can see the data on the PC screen

I've selected the 'map tool', highlghted the Safety Cammera map and sent it to my 2610.

However, I get a message on the 2610 screen that says 'Detail Maps Don't Support Routing', and all my fine detail disappears from the screen. There seems to be nothing visible under the 2 mile scale.

OK, the 'Safety Cameras' are visible, but none of the roads or village names.

Have I done something wrong?

Or do they all look like this?

Your first sentence is the issue, you need to think like Garmin!

Any time you down load maps to the GPSR it will wipe what is there and replace it with whatever you selected. In your case it replaced the maps that were there with "JUST" the speed camera map segments.

So not only do you need to select the speed camera map segments, but all the ones you hasd previously selected on CN.

Easy mistake to make and counter intuitive (and also a pain the the back side).

Cheers

Mark

GrinningGSer
02-11-05, 23:26
For anyone else who has had this problem running Windows XP service pack 2 I finally have the answer. I posted several questions on this thread re this issue with no success, so I had some professional help:

You need the file Windows/System32/AUTOEXEC.NT and it will be hidden elsewhere on the PC and easily copied to the windows/system32 directory,but is not in this folder by default

Cautionary warning though, and I am not qualified to explain this, but it is not there to prevent 16 bit mode drivers so there may be consequences in putting it there, so after all of that I must say DO NOT DO IT :D

Warthog
03-11-05, 10:52
WTF!!

I manged to down load the Safety Camera map to the Quest, but now I have a map of all camaera overlaid on what seems to be a base map of the UK: no minot roads or detail etc. The map that was on the unit when I bought it is gone!! What now? Given the choice, I'd rather have the old detailed UK map back.

Help!!

markie_wales
03-11-05, 11:56
WTF!!

I manged to down load the Safety Camera map to the Quest, but now I have a map of all camaera overlaid on what seems to be a base map of the UK: no minot roads or detail etc. The map that was on the unit when I bought it is gone!! What now? Given the choice, I'd rather have the old detailed UK map back.

Help!!

Warthog

See my reply 3 or so replies up the list.

cheers

Mark

GrinningGSer
03-11-05, 18:00
WTF!!

Help!!

You are nearly there Nick. setup.exe has obviously worked. Use the select maps tool with city select as usual, then ALSO select the speed camera map(it will also then go pink) then send the lot to your quest and it will erase what is there and replace with the full detailed selected maps. pm me if no joy... :D

Paul

Warthog
04-11-05, 18:49
You are nearly there Nick. setup.exe has obviously worked. Use the select maps tool with city select as usual, then ALSO select the speed camera map(it will also then go pink) then send the lot to your quest and it will erase what is there and replace with the full detailed selected maps. pm me if no joy... :D

Paul

Woohoo!!

Got it! Of course, if I hadn't been such a lazy @rase and read a previous post, I would have seen the explanation given to someone who had the same problem!! Anyhow, done now and it works fine so thanks to all especially the Grinning dude!! :D

PS: now of course this camera database has led to another discovery that I am going to discuss on forum rant!!

allan
04-11-05, 19:08
I also had the problem installing the SC database, I found this re the autoexec.nt problem.

AUTOEXEC.NT Error after Installation of Windows XP SP2
Problem

After installation of Service Pack 2, Windows XP may display an error message relating to "AUTOEXEC.NT" when trying to run certain 16-bit applications.

Discussion

The InstallShield software used for the installation of JInitiator makes use of 16-bit Windows technology which requires a valid AUTOEXEC.NT file to be present in the system. This file, which is part of the Windows 16-bit subsystem as it ships with Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003, normally resides in the "System32" subdirectory of the Windows installation directory.

Installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2 on an otherwise "healthy" Windows XP system may delete the AUTOEXEC.NT file. As a result, when trying to run certain applications which make use of 16-bit technology an error message like the following may be displayed:

"16 bit Windows Subsystem - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

The error message can be misleading, because it is displayed even if the AUTOEXEC.NT file is actually missing.

To verify whether you have the file, type "%windir%/system32/" in the address bar of an Explorer window. If there is no AUTOEXEC.NT file proceed as follows:

1. Browse to "%windir%/repair/" (usually "C:\WINDOWS\repair")

2. Right-Click and Copy the AUTOEXEC.NT file

3. Browse to "%windir%/system32/" (usually "C:\WINDOWS\System32")

4. Right-Click inside the window and Paste the file

The error condition described here may also be the result of corruption of the AUTOEXEC.NT file, in which case the above procedure may be helpful to restore a valid file.

Corruption of the AUTOEXEC.NT file has also been related to virus programs. You may want to virus-check your system

Droopy Dick
12-11-05, 19:54
I am at the end of my tether with this.

It must be because I'm incredibly dim (as my kids have said) or the whole thing is counter-intuitive. I have to say that I find Mapsource very opaque! I'm clearly not hard-wired to understand Garmin.

It seems that I can transfer the Speed Camera map OR the City Navigator bits but not both at the same time.

Net result, my GPS is working on the base map with the lovely Speed Camera thingies marked, but I can't see what road they're on.

If I have another go, I can get all the CN onto the 2GB card but NOT the Speed Camera database.

If I load CN to the GPS which now has the Speed Camera thingy on it, I lose the Speed Camera info but regain CN.

What on earth am I doing wrong?

finesse
13-11-05, 10:24
Droopy Dick

I have pm'd you.

Finesse

Duchess
21-12-05, 17:14
I dont know if you have this already but I too have found a very similar site

(apologies as I've not read through this thread, it could well already be listed .... :nenau )

www.pocketgpsworld.com

Navigate your way down the left hand side to UK safety camera's ... all the information you require is there.

This software is compatible for use within the following Sat Nav. equipment:

Tom Tom
ALK Co Pilot Live
NavMan
Microsfot Autoroute
Garmin

but best of all it's free until the New Year where a small subscription may be required to download thereafter. Its the updated November 2005 version so should have most of the camera's listed.

Hope its of some use to some of you guys, especially the newbies.... :)

SHORTY
07-01-06, 19:14
just bought a 2610 and looked into down loading speed camera data base from the pocketgps site, but i do not know if i have to down load the poi update(is it for 2610) or exactly which down load i require as there are so many can anyone help me with this

ianm00
07-01-06, 19:29
just bought a 2610 and looked into down loading speed camera data base from the pocketgps site, but i do not know if i have to down load the poi update(is it for 2610) or exactly which down load i require as there are so many can anyone help me with this

You do not need the POI update. Just go to here (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/walterwright/download.html)

At the bottom of the page download the update and read the README.TXT file for instructions.

I use it on my 2610. Remember you will need to transfer all of your maps and the speed cameras to the 2610 (not just addtional speed cameras as it will erase your maps as well).

Ian

SHORTY
07-01-06, 20:58
Thanks ianm00 works a treat down loaded ok. But now i have the same problem as you , a screen full of dots did you find out how to reduce the dot size

ianm00
07-01-06, 21:31
Thanks ianm00 works a treat down loaded ok. But now i have the same problem as you , a screen full of dots did you find out how to reduce the dot size

The only way that I found them usable was to turn off the Auto Zoom ( map menu I think) and just leave it set at about 1mile zoom.

You can disable the speed cameras map as well by going to map info and unselecting it.

Hope this helps

Ian

KAYCEE
08-01-06, 13:08
I'm trying to upgrade my satety camera file , however, before loading the latest version I have to delete the previous one.
I am unable to locate the original files, (even by using the add/remove program command). Can someone help me locate the original files that I need to remove. (what were they originally called?)

ianm00
08-01-06, 16:27
I'm trying to upgrade my satety camera file , however, before loading the latest version I have to delete the previous one.
I am unable to locate the original files, (even by using the add/remove program command). Can someone help me locate the original files that I need to remove. (what were they originally called?)

The original readme.txt says

"4. UNINSTALLING THE MAP

You can Uninstall the maps by using the standard Windows Add/Remove Programs
screen in Control Panel, or you can double-click the original .MSI file. In either
case you will be presented with the choice of uninstalling or repairing the
current installation."

Maybe that will help you.

Ian

KAYCEE
08-01-06, 17:05
Thanks Ian.

Found the original files and "removed"

New files now loaded.

SHORTY
09-01-06, 14:15
Thanks ian

Neither are ideal i suppose thats as good as its going to get for now. I think there is still room for improvement with this softwear

shedracer
09-01-06, 16:18
While installing the lastest speed camera database, Norton Antivirus confirmed that a malicious script was detected! :(

Has anybody else encounterred this, and what did you do?

I did not continue with install, hope someone here will be able to confirm its OK to install.

Cheers :thumb

shedracer
10-01-06, 17:21
Anybody got any ideas on this?

While installing the lastest speed camera database, Norton Antivirus confirmed that a malicious script was detected! :(

Has anybody else encounterred this, and what did you do?

I did not continue with install, hope someone here will be able to confirm its OK to install.

Cheers :thumb

BCairns
10-01-06, 17:27
Will this work for the Garmin V ?

John Armstrong
10-01-06, 17:59
Anybody got any ideas on this?

Carried on after "ignoring it" seems to be no problems since then. HTH.

y2blade
10-01-06, 18:13
just ignore it ...no prob's here either :thumb

birdseye
14-01-06, 08:59
This question has probably been asked before but I cant find the answer.

I can download both the camera map and city select 7 into my gps where they appear together, but I cant get both maps to appear together in mapsource. Is this because I have CS7 and camera maps in different sub folders of the c:\ garmin directory? ie do I have to dump the camera maps into the CS7 directory? Or is it just not possible to display 2 maps at once in mapsource?

John Armstrong
14-01-06, 10:21
It seems to be the way mapsource works eg World Map and City Navigator (both Garmin products) don't show both at once on the PC, so I expect that not being able to see the speed camera is normal.

I tried to see two mapping products using the "ctrl" method and it doesn't want to play.

y2blade
14-01-06, 10:52
Or is it just not possible to display 2 maps at once in mapsource?

that is the case ,bit of a shame but nothing to worry about as i dont tend to worry about locating speed cameras while im riding along on my PC chair in the spare room :dabone

unless they stick a GATSO at the top of the stairs!!!!! :eek:

John Armstrong
15-01-06, 10:56
The only time it might be usefull if there was only a few cameras on your route and you added them as waypoints, then it would give some warning of the approaching camera.

But, and its a big one, no point in trying to do it in almost any town in the UK. :mad:

y2blade
15-01-06, 11:00
The only time it might be usefull if there was only a few cameras on your route and you added them as waypoints, then it would give some warning of the approaching camera.

But, and its a big one, no point in trying to do it in almost any town in the UK. :mad:

what i do is zoom in to a point where the route is on the map then toggle between cameras and map!!! you soon see what WOULD be on that route

or just put the route on your gps and look at it on there!!

Greybeard
30-01-06, 20:45
There is now a new version of the safety camera database released today... I'm just installing it now for what will probably be a chilly nearly-round trip from Portsmouth - Sheffield - Weymouth in early March.

AndyT
30-01-06, 23:46
When I try and download it my Norton Internet Security keeps coming up saying "Don't do it". I take it nobody has had any issues downloading it so far??

AndyT

allan
31-01-06, 00:01
I just downloaded and installed it with no problems or warnings.

allan

AndyT
31-01-06, 00:14
I just downloaded and installed it with no problems or warnings.

allan
Thanks - Internet security just has to go, its such a pain in the rect*m.

AndyT

The Machine Cat
31-01-06, 11:14
http://www.alertegps.com/Download_index.asp?a=ar&s=
Chose your weapon, click on it, click on "Telecharger le Fichier" (download the file), upload it to your GPS, you are done.

Speed cameras in France, updated every monday...

Joe
02-02-06, 22:30
Thanks Fanum. The problem is that I don't see the Cameras map as a mapset but as an option on the pull down menu where Map Source is one option. When I open Map source V. 6 I don't see the cameras map as map set to upload...Capisce?

i am having he same problem, any help :thumb

Joe
02-02-06, 22:34
Yosi...if you can see it on Map source on your PC, you're very nearly there....

Just select 'European city select 6' or whatever set of maps you have from the map source menu as normal and sort out whatever maps you want to upload, then go back to where it says 'European city select 6' or whatever and you should see 'safety cameras uk 3.054' as a map set.......select that, then with he map select tool, click on the map on the screen (this overlay covers the whole of the uk in one hit so you can't go wrong).

Then upload the maps in the normal way (select upload, maps ;) ) and it'll upload both the maps you've chosen and the overlay together.

Make sense??

Joe...start from the beginning again and tell us how far you've got......presumably you've downloaded the map (overlay) from the link at the top of the thread???

Open it from wherever you saved it by double clicking on it, then go to map source and follow the instructions for Yosi......that should do the trick.

If not, post again and we'll get you sorted. Not getting the map soure in the pull down box top left of screen so I can't over lay it on to my maps??? :nenau :nenau :nenau :nenau :nenau

Joe
02-02-06, 22:49
[QUOTE=Yosi]Thanks Fanum. The problem is that I don't see the Cameras map as a mapset but as an option on the pull down menu where Map Source is one option. When I open Map source V. 6 I don't see the cameras map as map set to upload...Capisce?[/QUOT I am having the same problem, Any ideas would be a big help, cheers :bow

John Armstrong
03-02-06, 08:16
i am having he same problem, any help :thumb

ON the drop downs you'll only see what you have selected eg I have World Map, CN6, CN7 and the speed cameras.

If I select World Map that's all I'll see. If I want to download it to the GPS I'd use the map selection tool, click on the area and up it pops on the map listing on the left-hand side.

If I select EU CN V7 that's all I'll see. If I want to download it to the GPS I'd use the map selection tool, click on the area and up it pops on the map listing on the left-hand side along with the World Map selection.

If I select Speed Cameras that's all I'll see. If I want to download it to the GPS I'd use the map selection tool, click on the area and up it pops on the map listing on the left-hand side along with the World Map and EU CN V7 selections.

If you then download this mapset to the GPS, you'll at varying zoom levels see the cameras, EU CN V7 and the World Map. NB in "Map Info" on the Nav 2 you can choose which products (EU CN V7, World Map etc etc) that you want displayed.

Is that any clearer?

happy grandad
18-02-06, 17:13
Started to download when NAV came with its red screen:

"Malicious Script Detected
High Risk!
Object - File System Object
Activity: Get File
File:MsiEXEC.exe

Stop this Script - Recommended

I stopped the downloading. Is there a risk in this or is it just NAV being overcautious.

Look forward to hearing replies :thumb

Paul Young
18-02-06, 20:19
I had the same thing with Norton AV, but continued on the basis that I trusted the source. No problems found & none reported by anyone else.

On my Quest, the scamera symbols only appear when I zoom in to 500ft or less (800 ft on highest detail setting, but that makes the screen very crowded). Is there a way to improve on this & get them to appear at anything below 1 mile? At 500ft, I usually see a GATSO before spotting it on screen.

happy grandad
21-02-06, 19:00
Thanks Paul.

Took your advice and went for it. No problems with the PC - so far

Howard Millichap
21-02-06, 23:32
http://www.alertegps.com/Download_index.asp?a=ar&s=
Chose your weapon, click on it, click on "Telecharger le Fichier" (download the file), upload it to your GPS, you are done.

Speed cameras in France, updated every monday...

This seems to come in "Microsoft pocket street maps" format. How do I get this onto my Street Pilot 3 please?

Peter Pan
20-03-06, 20:20
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/walterwright/

found this thread on a gps site, thought others with garmin units might find it v helpfull ! i am using it with my 2610

Thanks Jonnyboy. Superb. Very grateful. :thumb

Pipehose
26-03-06, 13:21
so have they sorted out audio alerts for the quest yet

Peter Pan
01-04-06, 21:01
There is now a new version of the safety camera database released today... I'm just installing it now for what will probably be a chilly nearly-round trip from Portsmouth - Sheffield - Weymouth in early March.

Where is it? Is it possible to get access to it and download the data to a Garmin 2610? Thanks!

Stig
25-05-06, 12:29
Where is it? Is it possible to get access to it and download the data to a Garmin 2610? Thanks!

Try looking at page one of this thread for the links :thumb

I've got it loaded on my 2610 :D

topap
15-06-06, 22:50
Can someone please send me the file with the speed cameras? The actual file (i.e. *.zip or *.xls or whatever else). You can send it to me as an email attachment.

Many thanks!
Topap

Darren Griffin
16-06-06, 09:45
Just found this forum but please don't ask for the database to be emailed to you, it's a subscription service, the funds are used to maintain the database and at 2 for a month or 19 for a year it's not expensive. Anyone found distributing the database will forfeit their subscription.

If I can assist with any queries just shout, I'm a biker myself, a former Traffic Officer and I currently ride an ST1100 (ducks!) but previous steed was a KT1100.

Darren Griffin
Editor
www.pocketgpsworld.com

Lord Snooty
16-06-06, 11:10
Darren,

first of all welcome to the forum, good to have you here.

Secondly, I suggest you become a forum sponsor as you obviously believe that there's no such thing as a free lunch. :thumb you can subscribe HERE (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/subscriptions.php?) this enables you to use the Private Message service and also advertise goods for sale etc

thirdly I have registered on your site with the intention of subscribing to the camera database for my SPIII, but, call me a numpty if you like, for the life of me I cannot make out where to go or which link I should use to complete the subscription. :nenau :confused:

Darren Griffin
17-06-06, 09:49
Point taken and sponsorship paid :)

To Subscribe to our database you need to firstly join our forums here (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=new_user).

Once you have logged in, visit this link (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php) to select Monthly or Annual subscription and payment method. Once payment has been made you will have access to the download area linked from top of all our pages or quicklink here (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php).

ianran
19-06-06, 06:52

To Subscribe to our database you need to firstly join our forums here (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=new_user).

Once you have logged in, visit this link (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php) to select Monthly or Annual subscription and payment method. Once payment has been made you will have access to the download area linked from top of all our pages or quicklink here (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php).

Couple of things.
Your site doesnt actually say Streetpilot III supported, and does this only gives you a vsual warning of the cameras?
Lastly how often is it updated?

Darren Griffin
19-06-06, 07:02
The SPIII is supported using the Trasnparent map Overlay. The lack of warnings is a limitation of the SPIII platform, newer Garmin unit's support the POILoader system which is very much better and allows configurable warnings.

Currently our database is updated monthly but we are preparing for a move bto weekly releases and ultimately we will move to a live download where the database available is constantly updated.

Lord Snooty
19-06-06, 08:03

Thanks Darren,

I have accomplished this. I have a SPIII and I downloaded the UK GPSR map overlay - was this the correct one? :thumb

Darren Griffin
19-06-06, 09:01
I have a SPIII and I downloaded the UK GPSR map overlay - was this the correct one? :thumb
That's the one :)

ianran
20-06-06, 14:21
Thanks Darren,

I have accomplished this. I have a SPIII and I downloaded the UK GPSR map overlay - was this the correct one? :thumb

Mr Snooty sir, your opnion on this information please, good bad, indifferent, easy to read blah blah would be most welcome.
Its not that I am tight but am getting near the end of toy budget for the year as far as SWMBO says :(

topap
24-06-06, 17:56
Alright!!! :spitfire :spitfire :spitfire
I paid my montly subscription and I can now download files.

But I still don't know which file I'm looking for!!!!

I have the BMW Sat Nav II (Garmin 2610). Which files do I want?

ps: I'm angry not becaue I've paid, but because I cannot find the proper file, obviously... :spitfire :spitfire :spitfire

Darren Griffin
25-06-06, 08:03
Select Garmin press Continue then select UK - GPSR Map Overlay (Older GPS Systems).

That'll give you the download you need.

topap
25-06-06, 08:42
Thanks! Now all I have to do is send the data the my GPS

Topap

Rik
15-07-06, 12:17
I'd love to try out the speed camera data base from pocketgpsworld but I'm experienecing some difficulties getting onto the site;

I've filled in my user name and email details and recieved the confirmatory email in response. When I click on the supplied link I get the error message "New User Activation Error" "There is no user in the database with this information. You can register a new user from here.." When I try that it says that my username/ email is already registered. If I try to just log in it tells me i've used an invalid log in. I've left it 24 hrs and tried again but with the same result.

Has anyone else experienced similar? more importantly does anyone know how to sort it?

Regards

Rik :nenau

Rik
20-07-06, 18:00
Re my earlier post those nice chaps at pocketgpswold sorted the problem. I've now installed the camera database on my 2820 and am evaluating it; so far it looks pretty good.

regards

Rik :clap :clap

lynck49
21-07-06, 18:54
A great site and helpful people. :thumb, The forums are almost as entertaining as UKGSer :clap .

As an aside, I wanted the safety cams for France: found the following site thanks to the forum on PGPSW - click here (http://www.poihandler.com/) , ok so it is another subscription but for 12 euros/yr (about 8)..... not worth arguing about :nono and I can access other countries as well. Both sites do regular monthly updates; bargain! :D

I've put all the French and UK cams together in one folder and downloaded the lot to my 2720. All show up and the UK ones work so I'm assuming the French ones will as well. :ymca

araspitfire
21-07-06, 21:17
Take note, that your UK camera speeds are in MPH... and the Euro ones will likely be in KMH... this has the potential of causing you grief when you cross over the puddle...

Al...

Troll
22-08-06, 16:36
I put the speed camera map in my Quest last year. It seemed to work fine but I got all sorts of memory problems etc whilst away in Europe. I sent it back to Garmin (only 2 months old) and they said it was the spped camera map. When it was removed all the problems went away. So beware !!!!

Onahi
15-11-06, 20:28
isnt there a speed camera warning that actaully speaks "warning , speed camera ahead" just like the Tom Tom sat nav? :nenau

Onahi
19-11-06, 17:22