Frejus Tunnel Fire

I'm wary of long tunnels, been through the Tunnel de Frejus once & never again. Poorly ventilated, bad enough on 4 wheels, would never do it on a bike.

I remember the F650 rider who kept riding in to a tunnel fire a few years ago to rescue people. Saved quite a few but never came out after the last attempt:(

I came through the Arlberg Pass tunnel on Saturday... similair length to the Frejus tunnel at 14km.
Not really a nice experience and just pleased when it ended. The thought of a fire or even just a breakdown midway is really quite daunting.

Steve Pickford said:

I remember the F650 rider who kept riding in to a tunnel fire a few years ago to rescue people. Saved quite a few but never came out after the last attempt:(
1999 Mont Blanc.

The fire was started by a lorry driver throwing a cigarette butt out of the window. 39 people died.

Pier Lucio Tinazzi aka Spadino was the man in question.

There is an annual rally in his memory from both the French and Italian sides of the tunnel.
spadino1.jpg

Ricardo Forte (centre) from Co-ordinamento Motociclisti and Nicolas Kerebel from FFMC (left) giving the memorial speech.

Back
Top Bottom