Serious amateur photographers/professionals...?

nadeem

What are you using...? I'm seriously thinking of gettiing the Nikon D2X , as I am taking pics for two of the mags that I work on and the need for speedy high res results is needed...I already have the SB 800 (Nikon) Flash...

full spec here:

www.gadgetlover.co.uk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67

yep I know, I know....but this is definitely a work related toy....:) Far too expensive to justify for taking pics of the car & bike...!

According to my accountant I'll get back 50% as a business expense plus the vat back anyway....

Nadeem

I'm good at buying toys (Nikon Coolpix 5200 and 40m housing presently on order to complement the EOS 300D and Fujifilm 304 - it's for my sea kayaking photos).

If my accountant told me that I'd be first in the queue!

If I had an accountant that is.

A great bit of kit by all accounts.

Peter

I recently started my own company ...and It's all fairly new to me on the expenses side ...so it seems a good way to buy my equipment and I really do genuinely need it for work...I have the Coolpix 8800 at the moment and it takes about 20 secs between shots to save (in raw mode) which is way to slow when you need high res shots fast...I did a photo shoot last friday and 80 shots took the best part of 3 hours with quite a few bored 'models'...

sample pic here...reduced to an 800 x 600 jpeg...

www.midnightphotos.co.uk/userimages/full/6/1455.jpg

That's got to have a caption:

'Is your's this big?'

'No Mam you need to see the Guy over on the Jumbo desk'.

nadeem said:
What are you using...? I'm seriously thinking of gettiing the Nikon D2X , as I am taking pics for two of the mags that I work on and the need for speedy high res results is needed...I already have the SB 800 (Nikon) Flash...

full spec here:

www.gadgetlover.co.uk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67

Nadeem,
Does it HAVE to be digital?

If not then I would recommend Nikon F5, built like a brick shit house, superb weight and 8 fps.

If you want to have a look at one I'll be pleased to give you a go of mine.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve,

it does need to be digital mate...I work to a lot of tight deadlines...i.e. I prep the pics on my laptop and then e-mail immediately....sometimes I only have 30 mins after I take the shots to get the pics in...the pic above is a classic example - was for a brochure - I had to get it over as soon as I finished taking them...had to go to the nearest wi-fi spot and send them as soon as I had manipulated them in Photoshop CS2...

nadeem said:
Nice girl but she kept doing that in a lot of the shots...:rolleyes:

Found one where she didn't, she's got a nice smile :)

Attachments

• screenshot004.jpg
    screenshot004.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 868
here's an outdoor pic from the same camera - cropped to a qtr of the frame and shot from about 200 feet away without a tripod...

1350.jpg

I just purchased a Canon 20D, I had Sigma before (in fact I still have it) and before that and in some ways still, I was Nikon man, I still have Analog Nikon.

The EOS is a great camera 8.3 MP, super sharp lenses, and it will shoot 5fps in RAW + JPEG.

You should check www.dpreview.com to compare specs.

The D2X is great piece of kit, but I personally still think the sensor generates too much noise at high ISO or low light to merit it's price, but then I couldn't afford it anyway.

Good luck all the same, would be good to hear what you decide on in the end.

Understood mate, we'll have to catch up at Eynsford later this month.

Cheers
Steve

Nadeem,
As a professional photographer for some 30 years I will tell you that I would be very wary of a Nikon D2X. I have always had Nikons in 35mm format so I do have all the lens' one might need but at £3500 the 2x is very expensive with some serious questions about it's reliability. (Focusing problems have been found) I would try a Canon D20 at about a third of the price, now that really does work well.
See www.dpreview.com to nerd all the pros and cons. For my own use, the only digital camera I have is a Canon G5. That works fine, 14mb files.
Film and Leica still give top quality shots. As mentioned before the Nikon F5 is really well made and available really cheap due to the rush to SLR digital.
See eBay or Fixation in London. fixation@compuserve.com (0207) 582-3294
They are the top Nikon people.
good luck.......
Barrie.

As you already have the Nikon flash unit, I would advocate the Nikon D70 or D70s - although I wouldnt pay extra for 'S' over the std.

Go for the D70 kit which includes a cracker of a lens in the Nikon 18-70 and then buy a 50mm 1.8 lens for low light work. For the longer stuff I have been using a Sigma 70-200 EX APO lens which is fantastic.

The only other option is really the Canon series, probably the 20D or better. More upgrade potential here as they have more bodies which sit above the 20D. Its worth mentioning that the Nikon flash functions are way ahead of the Canon kit, so it might be a consideration if you do a lot of flash work.

Throw the Coolpix in the bin, looks like it cant even focus! :D

BTW, I have a D70 :D

Heres a couple of pics with the sigma

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

Back
Top Bottom