Snow In Austria

• Thread starter Deleted account rno
  • Start date

Deleted account rno

I was on the blower to my old man tonight and he was telling me that there have been reports of roads in Austria being closed due to snow. I don't have any more details than that but anyone going there in the VNF might want to look further into this.

Ronno

According to www.alpineroads.com, it's going to be closed for a day or so.

When we were there at the end of May last year, we approached from the north and were told it was closed due to snow.

After a leaisurely lunch they let us though, but it was -1C and snowing over the two pass summits. As soon as we started to descend the south side, the skies cleared and we had a clear run up to the glacier :D

By the time we reached Lienz, the temperature was +27C.

Yes, Thursday 9th they shut the Grossglockner pass to anything without snow chains! Like virtually everything else, I was turned around at northern side and had to head round the alternatives (both east and west were open, but I went west). The light rain was just turning to snow at the altitude of the toll booth. Unfortunately, if they did bother to to inform drivers / riders lower down the approach road, I didn't notice until I got there... Still, the approach road was fun...

Everything else I tried was open and given the weather on Friday (warm and blue sky) I guess it was open again the next day.

YOO

...but it was -1C and snowing over the two pass summits. As soon as we started to descend the south side, the skies cleared and we had a clear run up to the glacier

By the time we reached Lienz, the temperature was +27C...

Had the same experience last year, this was in the middle of July:doh

Typicall on the Grossglockner:cloak

Grtz, Philip!

Back
Top Bottom