Quest.. what do i need?

Bryn

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Settled on a Garmin Quest i think... E-mailed Autocom and they promptly responded with parts 57 and 171 needed to run it on Active 7 smart...

Part 57: Twin isolated input adaptor lead (170mm) and 3.5mm jack plug for kits 1, 3 and 6 phone socket. Inputs A for typical GPS or Radar, input B for phone (Red top and black base box)

Part 171: GPS interface lead (GPS 2.5)

Looking on GPS warehouse they are doing quest with bike ram mount for £ 354.95

Question is, is this the cheapest and best solution to mounting on an 1150, and as the autocom bits are going to cost me £29 plus delivery.. is there an alternative?

I'm a total novice with GPS so haven't got a clue (Fanum has already pointed me in the right direction though)

Realise i could probably find the answer somewhere on here, but i want the bits before i am too old to appreciate them!

:beerjug: Bryn

As your list stands there Bryn you have everything lined up except bike power for the Quest. It has a built-in li-ion rechargeable which can give 'up to' 20 hours usage between charges.

Unilke all the other units (and due to it low voltage) the power kits are pricey AND mount specific. If you buy a RAM cradle you will need the RAM-PAC too (another £40). These I believe are just becoming available according to RAM-MAN's posts.

If you went for an alternative mount (Touratech or Garmin say) then you would also need their power kits. The Garmin one has been the most accessible to date.

Even if you decide on Garmin or Touratech mounts the RAM arms & U-bolt mounts make for a veritable feast of mounting options.

There is also the Migsel Mount (which I use for my 2610) but I'm reluctant to reccommend one of these for a Quest until you have tried it for size personally. There are some (like Fanny) who find it no problem but in the workshops I have done 8-10 (out of 50) found the distance too far from them.

Note also the MiGSel mount only comes with a RAM ball requiring you to purchase an arm and cradle on top. That said (and having tried many units, cradles and mounting options) I find it to be the Rolls Royce. So long as your eyesight is up to it!! :thumb

:judge

What do I need?

A good sense of humour!

I got one and it's great as long as you don't use it to plot local routes (which I did to test out my new toy). I did and was amused at how it wanted to take me some bizarre routes - not shorter distance or a faster route but one that only a weather forecaster could make - wildly inaccurate. If you're in foreign climes and do not have the local knowledge, you would not know it was leading you a merry dance - I guess ignorance is bliss!

I used it on a lads biking weekend to Wales and I pi$$ed myself laughing when it took us down a single track road which turned into a farm track. "What is the problem on a GS?"I hear some ask. Nothing for me, but my mate on his brand new R1 was not at all impressed!!!!

I've now "programmed" it to think I'm a 125ft truck with a 40ft wide load attached, but it still takes me down the back lanes!!!

My Garmin Quest has now less respect than a tabloid journalist, or a conveyancer, or a weather forecaster (wish I had a job where you get paid for consistently getting it wrong.

Strange thing is, everyone on this website thinks it's great - must be user error in my case!!!!!

Mi

mickylove said:

I've now "programmed" it to think I'm a 125ft truck with a 40ft wide load attached, but it still takes me down the back lanes!!!

Have a look at the road speeds for different categories of road......I suspect yours are a bit 'iffy'.

I've not had anything like that happen, apart from when using the profile that I've equalised likkle roads and allowed it do take me anywhere.

Otherwise, it's pretty perfect, barring my normal morning cut-through route to the M25 which Betty really realy doesn't like.....It avoids two roundabouts and five sets of lights though so I'm sticking to it ;)

I've used my Quest for the past few months on loads of local roads. No problems here. Also used for 600 Kms in N.Tuscany, again no problems afaik.

My Garmin took us out of Porto Cristo, Mallorca on a dirt road passed the local sh*t beds, my wife said ‘has that thing gone insane? We were in a hire car, but we got through :eyebrow

ebbo lol !!! My wife is still laughing at your wife's comment - it's exactly the kind of thing my wife would say!!!

Just planned a route from my house to blackpool airport (6.0 miles) and mapsource took me all round the houses and country lanes and ended up at blackpool airport 13.2 miles later!!!!

It's a laugh!!

I thought my Quest was taking me around the houses when I first got it until I read through the manual and realised that I hadn't set the route setup avoidances correctly. Now it routes just fine in the local area and was very good last week when we holidayed in sunny Kent.

Still doesn't find MacDonalds though :)

Back
Top Bottom