TKC's and "White Finger".

MikeP

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just fitted a replacement pair (from my Vern's 'pack of three' offer).

I've done 9,000 miles since swapping from Tourances to TKC's. In that time I've replaced the rear somewhere in the middle of that mileage.

Probably 8 of the 9 thousand miles were done with the bike either fully laden or pretty near to it and more miles than ideally I would have liked were on dual-carriageways.

After about 7,000 miles the front was starting to wear on the rear of the tread blocks and on the inside edges of the shoulder blocks. (I think I'm right in saying that this is what is known as "cupping").

A noticable but not intrusive vibration could be felt on some surfaces at lowish speeds, 20 to 40 mph. Sometimes it would feel like a slight patter. Again not bad or enough to worry about and it seemed worse on some surfaces.

In the last thousand miles the vibration on longer journeys was enough to cause pretty bad 'white finger'. Bad enough for me to change the tyre despite there being lots of tread left.

Riding from the dealer yesterday after the new pair were fitted at a 12000 and annual service the difference is huge.

Anyone else experienced similar? (I still love these tyres).

Oh and I found it quite amusing that no-one felt able to test ride my bike after the service, they said it was too tall! :confused:

I have just changed from Dunlops to TKC's and am experiencing a lot of noise from the front (landrover type tyre) and a lot more vibration particularly @ 70mph. Not sure I have done the right thing as they also feel vague sometimes to the point where I think I have a puncture. They do turn in very quick though.

Sorry guys,but I`ve got to say it......

WTF do you expect to happen when you ride on tarmac at high speed with a laden bike fitted with what are essentially off road tyres ??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Stop playing pretend overlanders and fit proper roadgoing tyres.

I think there shite personally:D

tried em and hated em :)

just put my spare wheels back on, fitted with tourances,

After 7Kmiles of TKC's i'd forgotten how good tourances are on the road -

i'll only be fitting the wheels with TKC when i know i'll definately be needing them -

Back
Top Bottom