Touratech Head Lamp Guard (HeadLamps)

Roge

Reaction score
I Had one of the clear plastic Touratech Head Lamp Guards fitted and have just removed it and what a difference on country lanes on dark winter evenings and mornings:

It was refecting a lot of light up onto the edge and side of the screen which was lighting up like a head up display or instrument edge lighting putting a bright light in my field of view. (I have a Givi Screen fitted which works well for me , I am also using the Phillips Vision+ II bulbs)

I may refit the head lamp protector come summer unless anyone has a better method of protecting the lamps (supplier, price etc)

Roger Walton:beer:

Headlamp Guard

Bought a guard from SPC 2 years ago, fitted with 4 bits of Velcro, easy to whip off at night if you need to. Cost about £15 and hasn't fallen off yet.

Cooperman

Touratech headlight cover

Roger, I think these things are for off-road use only: I'm no physicist but I suppose if generated light goes through a process of reflection/refraction through the mirrors and lenses, then hits a wedge of perspex, it will be diffused a fair bit ....

I've fitted the BMW headlight 'cage' from the Adventure to my standard GS. It was v.expensive and only gives limited protection to the lenses, and it also has a significant effect on the light spread. But again it (was) labelled 'off road use only'. However, it looks coooool. And that, my friends, makes all the difference.:cool:

I had one of those plastic things,total waste of time and money. All the road dirt gets behind them and you can't see anything. All the bikes I've owned do stupid milages,and the only headlight I've ever broken was on my old Ducati,so I don't bother with anything now.:) By the way,I hit a railway bridge at about 50mph on the Ducati,I suppose that would break most headlights:D

Chicken wire...

I got the Verholens chicken wire protector, now also availeble at Touratech. Works fine for bigger stones/gravel and doesnot take too much light away... and makes excellent chips when riding through a swarm of potatoes!

Attachments

• na de rit 3.jpg
    na de rit 3.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 368
AeroFlow Headlight Guard

Take a look at the AeroFlow offering if you're looking for a headlight guard. It's reasonably priced and covers the entire light fitting. It doesn't lose any noticable light from reflection and definitely doesn't let any dirt in - I live at the end of 20 miles + of dirt road in the mountains and get to test this everytime I ride. It installs with a couple of hook and loop bits from 3M which have thus far held up perfectly. Have taken a couple of good sized rocks from trucks to the shield and they haven't even left nicks...It's a good piece to pick up at the cost of BMW headlights!!!

Alternatively you could check out Slimbos all in one headlight/oil cooler guard looks pretty damn good & doesn't cost the earth either

Yes Slimbo has had a good original idea there.

Although an oil cooler guard can also be made from cutting out the right size from an old/new black fire guard or buy the mesh from B&Q, cost about 4 pounds max.

Headlight protectors. Go to double glazing manufacturer on the industrial estate and ask for either off cuts or free sample of polycarbonate, cut into circle and stick on with velcro, cost nowt.

Tim (saving for petrol money, ferries, tyres, council tax, phone bill................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... and beer money):beer:

Engineer brain clicking into gear now Slimbo.

Basically your design.
Use polycarbonate for light protection, mesh for oil cooler. Join two together with small nuts and bolts, cover join with carefully cut strip of rubber from car size inner tube stretched over the fixings.

Time to play in the workshop.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom