OFF TO PICOS AND N.PORTUGAL 25th june

Murray

Reaction score
PLYMOUTH SANTANDER. brittany ferries rtn with sleeper. £195. just ask for discover spain special dicount. I booked 13 th june. Last week they quoted me £300.Dont no how long it runS for though. ANYONE got info on picos. Also need maps. IS CAMPING A GOOD IDEA OR F IN COLD. Any ideas for the first night. i mean accommadation. cheers murray

Don't know what time the ferry gets in so this may be too near for you but try
www.casazalama.com. It's about 85k from Santander. Spanish woman runs it with her English partner (my best mate - as it happens).

Excellent food and very reasonable.

Cheers

Dick

i did this trip last month and you wont be dissapointed. First night stayed in paradore at benavente. next day over to do the n103 branganca to Braga - what a road, down to villa real then down to Cuidad rodrigo - parador again. Then headed south to Algarve -mind blowing twisites, dont say i didnt warn you!

forgot to mention picos were great - try the AS 114 for a warm up! some great view from the top of the mountains. get a m8ichelin map that marks thr green scenic routes and plan around those. mostly stayed in paradors which are reasonable for the quality and loads around.

Hotels

We stayed at the Caravia in Prado 18 Euros a night inc breakfast and tax for a single room with bath or 28 e for a twin/double, its a 2* hotel but has a 4* Restaurant its just off the Autovia near Riballdesella about 80 miles from Santander and well placed for touring the Picos.

Or the Halcon Palace at Cofino just over the hill from Prado a 3* with a fine restarant where dinner or lunch will set you back 12 Euros for 3 courses inc wine.

At the other end of the Picos the Hotel De'Oso at Cosgaya near Potes, superb.

The last two are bookable via Brittany Ferries who get a good rate, they are in the Spain brochure.

We came back on 6th June and I stopped counting the bikes at 200, Brittany ferries have got this sorted and tie the bikes down with 50mm ratchets so you don't need to take any.

Hotels are so good and cheap its not worth camping unless you specifically want too.

Have you got Satnav if so I can email all my routes and waypoints, I'm on V7 City Select.

picos/portugal

THANKS for all the info . now traveling with mate he has gps so will get him to contact u for details.
lookin to buy summer trousers OR is it cold up there? murray.

Re: Hotels

Have you got Satnav if so I can email all my routes and waypoints, I'm on V7 City Select. [/B]

Hi Jimb

thanks for the info could you e me ldnoad at aol.com

:beerjug:

Hi Jimb, just trawling thru for info on picos and saw the thread where you offere gps routes.....would you email me if you still have 'em? I'm off there in june with pal and maps are ok but getting max out of routes (roads and sceneery) in the short time we are there of 2/3 days is what we hope to do
cheers and thanks

Hi Murray,
We were in the Picos three years ago - superb, should be plenty warm when your going?.
On maps, the best ones I know of are a set of two in a folder covering only the Picos - show loads of detail , including high paths etc for walking and more importantly, the thousands of tracks - many of which are GS-able, especially if your solo?
The map set is available here? :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...59833/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_3_5/203-6134953-9643158

We stayed in an excellent hotel at Fuente De, about 10 miles from Potes, lik here:-
http://www.liebanaypicosdeeuropa.com/guia/rebeco.htm

Cheers..........................Grizzly :cool: :cool:

Back
Top Bottom