Sarn Helen

Cupid Stunt

Anyone in the swansea Valley area fancy a trip up the Sarn Helen on Sunday (19th June) ?

A few friends and myself will be riding it from Aberdulais to the mountain centre

ride out

where are you meeting and what time are you expecting to leave and get back ?

what is everyone going to be riding ?

Hi Cardiff
We're meeting at Resolven at 10:30am this morning
Don't know what time we'll be getting back, the route is about 27 miles (one way) there are plenty of "yellow" roads intersecting Sarn Helen for anyone who needs to get off early or alternatively the tarmac can be ridden back from Brecon (we'll take the Sarn Helen back south after lunch at the mountain centre)
There are 4 of us....

CCM644
KTM 250 Stroker
KTM 250 4T
and another unknown

I am a slow trail rider and the unknown bike is a newbie so the pace won't be too fast and even if it was they'd have to keep stopping to wait for me

They're a great bunch of guys and will wait for anyone and we all look out for eachother properly

:hapybnce:

The thought of anybody taking a GS1200 (or any GS) along Sarn Helen with a pillion in the company of a group of trail riders has made my morning:D

Go on Bob take the plung your 1200 could do with getting a bit dirty.

:D :D :D

2 wheel humvee said:
:hapybnce:

The thought of anybody taking a GS1200 (or any GS) along Sarn Helen with a pillion in the company of a group of trail riders has made my morning:D

Now who said I was planning on taking the GS ? I'm sure the XT would manage it quite easily :)

And the wife's working until 6.30 pm :p

Back now
You didn't miss too much....
Beautifull scenery, a 54 mile round trip and me coming off about 6 times :eek: (I used to it now), I did have some spectacular ones though, the worst on a 40 degree descent on loose boulders/rocks
I've done more damage to my bike today than I have since I had it (6 months)
The mountain centre was very nice and the ride is brilliant
We're doing it again next Saturday as I've promised soem guys that I'll show them some of our Welsh trails

BE WARNED
Unless you are VERY skilled with a road biased bike then don't even think about it unles you got lots of armour and deep pockets
The damage to my CCM is confined to accessories only (barkbusters, indicators etc)
I wish I had put my more off-road biased wheels on it (better gearing and grippier tyres) it may well have saved me on some of teh tricky stuff

On the plus side, I managed to shower my two mates by blasting past them through some very large puddles whilst they were trying to go slow to avoid getting wet, I'm certain that they'll get me back though :eek:

Rode the length of Sarn Helen earlier in the year. As you say its very rough on that drop down through the gate with LARGE stones- first gear all the way. Had to stop at the bottom to recover!! I rode from Neath through to the mountain centre, Id hate to ride it the other way on a GS,up that hill!!

Have you been up around Llyn Brianne? A great day out. Ive yet to ride across Strata Florida ths year, I hope to give it a go whilst the weathers good.

Towy Valley, where abouts?

Rgds

Steve G

Hi Steve

Tawe Valley (not Towy)

About 4 miles South of the Beacons

Give me a shout over at www.maximumbikes.com when your doing the Strata Florida, I may join you

Yes the climb up the loose rocks heading South was a bastid

strata florida

i would love to ride SF so if you want more company I would be delighted to join you...if nothing else the semi caberet of watching me fall off my xr400 is not to be missed!:D

Russ

All being well I hope to go across Strata Florida THIS Sunday. See my thread posted on Thursday night. Hope to go quite early about 08.30 to make the most of the day.

Rgds

Steve G

Sarn Helen Query

Seems a long time since anyone here discussed Sarn Helen. I fancied exploring it on my GSA, now that it is open AFAIK, but judging by this old thread, it would seem unsuitable and the described rocky decent sounds out of a question on a big bike.

Anyone done it on a GSA ? Not much mention on this site :nenau

This Morning

T'was very pleasant this morning, but I was riding a Serow! Exactly half the weight of my 1150 GSA.

Attachments

• sarn helen.jpg
    sarn helen.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 82
Seems a long time since anyone here discussed Sarn Helen. I fancied exploring it on my GSA, now that it is open AFAIK, but judging by this old thread, it would seem unsuitable and the described rocky decent sounds out of a question on a big bike.

Anyone done it on a GSA ? Not much mention on this site :nenau

Sarn Helen shouldn't present too many problems for a GSA unless the water's very deep so should be fine right now:thumb

Back
Top Bottom