BMW ADV aux lights - Are they any good?

VDRZANE

What brand are the Adventure aux lights? How are they switched on/off (is there an independant switch for these or do they run off of the standard headlamp switch?) How are these mounted and is it a good place to mount them? Is the mounting/bracket sturdy?

Also, what options are out there that may be better. Naturally, the BMW lights are expensive ($500 here in the US!).

Thanks guys!

I've got them on my ADV (they're marketed as Fog Lights over here). They give a good, flat and wide, beam pattern, ut probably no better than any number of much cheaper projector lamps. The fittings on the lamps are very fragile and cannot be repaired, so you've got to look at replacing them if you bin it (even at walking pace, unless you have crashbars). I got mine for free :)D ), so I'll keep them. if I was starting from scratch, I'd fit some cheap lights from a car parts dealer and make up a bracket from some aluminium or steel (look under 'aux lighting bar' or similar on this forum, a guy in Belgium is making some really Gucci looking brackets). They are seperately switched, the switch is located on the handlebar clamp (normal BMW illuminated rocker type switch).

I also use a Top-of-the-Line Headlamp Guard & lamp bracket, which allows me to mount a couple of Hella spots alongside the headlights - these are wired, via a relay, to the high beam light.

MikeO:)

Attachments

• tolbmw-0011.jpeg
    tolbmw-0011.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 742
Mike

I really like the look of that headlamp guard.
Where'd you get it?

(not even got mine yet and already I'm planning on moddin' it)

Headlamp Guard

Mike O

That set-up looks fantastic. Looks like a Landrover on the Camel Trophy ... where did you get it?:clap

MikeO!!

MIKE OUGHTON said:
I also use a Top-of-the-Line Headlamp Guard & lamp bracket, which allows me to mount a couple of Hella spots alongside the headlights - these are wired, via a relay, to the high beam light.

Please tell me more about these lights. What brand are they, where did you buy them, how difficult to install, etc.

They look like they might snap right off in the event of laying the bike down, no?

Thanks!

I got my headlamp guard from here. Be warned that I got hit very hard for import duty & VAT getting it into the UK (added about £70 to the price, as I recall:eek: ). I've actually adapted mine to fit my Adventure (they don't make a special version). The lights pictured (that's not my bike) are PIAAs, which are very expensive. I bought a pair of Hella spots (again from the 'states). These lights survived my spill at Nurburgring intact (bike had BMW Adv crashbars and Zega boxes fitted)

VDRZANE - the Hellas are Optilux 1300, which are well made, with die-cast bodies & glass lenses. I got them from Auto Barn - they were cheap ($40ish) before the UK ustoms got hold of them:D

Mike, that is a great piece of kit, kills 3 birds with one stone.. well it could do!
Exactly how much modification is required to fit it on an Adventure?

:coold

Bawdy, the guard fits using two bolts at the base of the headlights and the screen mounts. On the std GS, these mounts are considerably narrower than on the Adv. I cut off the side arms and welded on new ones, which were splayed wider, then re-drilled the arms, beadblasted the entire thing & powder coated it. I can't deny it was fairly difficult. I may, however, due to a change in plan, have the guard for sale in the not too distant future if anyone's interested. Here's what it looked like on my bike, in happier days (BMW fogs also fitted)

Attachments

• dscf0035x.jpg
    dscf0035x.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 454
Looks great Mike. Plenty of protection for the Headlights and Fogs. Just wondering about the Hellas though. Do you know anyone who makes guards/grills for them? Preferably with mounting brackets for some auxillary lights?

;)

Bike Bear said:
Do you know anyone who makes guards/grills for them? Preferably with mounting brackets for some auxillary lights?

Bear,

1. No, was thinking of having some made, though....
2. Auxilliary lights? Eh?:confused:

A rival for Malky's mobile son et lumiere?

Blimey Mike I obviously only saw your bike for the rear when you came down Eynsford way but now you've got the wide-tails I think you're now outdoing the great Malky himself with six lights at the front and four? lights at the rear.

Probably a good idea if you avoid wearing red bike gear or Coca-Cola might start pursuing you for their next commercial!! :D

at 300 quid plus fitting, those fog lamps are friggin' expensive, but I found the main headlamp a pile of schite! I use mine almost every day when I travel through London and make sure that I am seen - I bought them more for safety than actual fog use, although where I live we do get some nasty fog.

I have never had a leak with mine, though I am going through 15A fuses with some regularity. Am wondering why?

Was searching for ages for a cheaper alternaitive, but am not a technical chap, so said sod it and paid for them. Useful switch mind! Look pretty cool too.

TerraNova Lightbar

Haven't heard much good news about the above (CBT?) mount...Tends to rattle apart under average use in dirt/non-tarmac situations - think one is still for sale on AdvRider board.

I'm currently in the process of fitting a TerraNova light bar with 910's on it. Nice bar and it has 4 points for attachment to the bike - not just relying on the oil cooler nuts it also has two support struts that come off the back of the bar to attach to the fender bolts. Seems to be a much more sturdy design than the others being currenly offered.

You can check it out at www.cyclegadgets.com

Would be my recommadation if your're going to be doing more than just tarmac jockeying...

Back
Top Bottom