S1000R intermittent not starting

telbenj

Reaction score
My 2017 S1000R has now done 6000 miles and has now developed a fault, on two occasions the bike wouldn't start it turns over quickly and all the dash lights and fuel pump act as normal, but it just won't fire up
Both times i flick d the kill switch on and off and operated the side stand a couple of times, on those times it eventually started. I booked it in to NOG and they fitted a new R/H switch cluster all was fine for a couple of weeks, until I was out today and the problem has returned, same issue but now no idea what it is, I will book it in again so maybe a new side stand switch this time.

Has any one on here had the same problem on either their R, RR or XS

Terry

It's been in to NOG and no one knows what the problem is, no fault codes showing up all is working as it should. So looks like I just have to wait till it does it again.
It's happened 3 times so far in the last 6 weeks

Had new bar end weights fitted on a re-call apparently something wrong with the paint being thin at time of build.

Terry

Is that from cold, or when engine is warm - and you have stopped for a brief time?

There have been reports of these engines not starting after a short stop, see below:

https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,300.0.html
Al

Hi yes the engine is warm after a short stop, it's done it 3 times now, the dealer is saying they haven't heard of any issues and have checked the data base and no other reports of the issue exist.
I expect it will do it again and most likely again at which point I will be wanting it sorted.

Trouble is it's always in the back of your mind it's not going to start, I can't believe no fault codes were thrown up.

Terry

It appears I have the only S1000R in the UK with this issue Its going in on Monday to be fixed.

Terry

My friend had an issue similar all lights on etc , wouldn't fire up ......BMW had it three days ,it was something to do with the quick shifter !!!! no idea why that would stop it firing up ..they replaced it and the bikes fine now

My issue only happens when the engine is warm it won't start until the temp drops to about 50 deg apparently it's something to do with the fuel system. The first thing they replaced was the starter switch / R/H switch cluster. It's in the dealers now apparently there is a short term fix to stop it happening, and will need a new part, then when that arrives it will have to go in again.

I don't know what part is needed, but it's an issue that has affected a few bikes in another country?

Terry

Ok bike has been in to dealer, after contacting BMW head office, they are aware of the issue which so far has been on the XR but now obviously on the R.
So there was a workaround to do until new parts were available, I'm guessing some sort of heat shield and then a new pump. Anyway bike has been in the dealers for 4 days and workaround done, but unfortunately that doesn't work the bike still won't start once hot and left for a while.
So you have to wait until the bike has cooled to about 50 to 60deg before it starts.

Terry

Update on my bike, it's been in to North Oxford Garage and had a heat shield fitted between the engine and the fuel tank / fuel pump, it is better but still happens now and then.

It's been 4 weeks since my bike went in and no news yet on when they are fitting the new fuel pump, a Puma case is open on the issue, and it is getting frustrating waiting and waiting. now the better weather is coming the bike will used for more ride outs rather than just commuting to work so the issue will be worse.

I've been back into NOG and they are chasing it up, I shall wait another couple of weeks and if no news will send an email complaint to BMW,
I don't understand why it's taking so long when it's a known issue albeit affecting the XR
My bike has now covered 8000 miles and the issue didn't start until after 6000 so there may be more affected in the future my bike was built July 2017 and registered the end of August

Terry

Must be very frustrating Terry. I picked up a 2017 S1000R earlier this week - registered July 2017 so will watch this with interest if you can keep us posted. Mine only has 1000 miles on it but hoping to rectify that once the better weather comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silly question, its not vapour locking in the tank is it. You could test this real easy by releasing the filler cap when problem re appears.

Apologies if im talking bollx

Silly question, its not vapour locking in the tank is it. You could test this real easy by releasing the filler cap when problem re appears.

Apologies if im talking bollx

No Steve it's not, that's the first thing I did when it happened, it's more complex than that, and I'm still waiting for the dealer to get back to me, it's now been 6 weeks since it went in for a temporary fix. I shall hav to call them and if no news I shall email BMW directly again.

Thanks Terry

Ok update on the non starting issue, it's confirmed as heat from the engine causing the the fuel injection system to over pressure this then prevents the injectors from operating BMW have designed a heat shield which will stop the heat affecting the system. Mine is booked in to have it fitted in a couple of weeks. It's the same issue on the XR so I assume can also happen on the RR.

I also assume it will be fitted to new bikes from now on?

Any way hopefully this will resolve my issue, we will see

Terry

Ok update on the non starting issue, it's confirmed as heat from the engine causing the the fuel injection system to over pressure this then prevents the injectors from operating BMW have designed a heat shield which will stop the heat affecting the system. Mine is booked in to have it fitted in a couple of weeks. It's the same issue on the XR so I assume can also happen on the RR.

I also assume it will be fitted to new bikes from now on?

Any way hopefully this will resolve my issue, we will see

Terry

Hi All

Ok bike has been in and had the heat shield fitted, it takes about an hour so not too bad. So thought I would wait a couple of weeks to see if all was ok before feeding back.

And unfortunately it's not fixed, although in the two weeks it's only happened the once, again I was stranded for an hour while I waited for it to cool down enough to start.
So now at this point I am a bit peed off and wondering what next steps I can take the bike is now 10 months old, do I continue to go with the flow and let BMW inconvenience me with various service dates until an eventual cure is found. Or do I reject it as not fit for purpose.
I love the bike it's great but this issue is beginning to grind.

Terry

It's booked back in for 12000 service and whatever they decide to change/ fit this time.

Hopefully whatever it is it's a permanent fix

Terry

Hi All

Ok bike has been in and had the heat shield fitted, it takes about an hour so not too bad. So thought I would wait a couple of weeks to see if all was ok before feeding back.

And unfortunately it's not fixed, although in the two weeks it's only happened the once, again I was stranded for an hour while I waited for it to cool down enough to start.
So now at this point I am a bit peed off and wondering what next steps I can take the bike is now 10 months old, do I continue to go with the flow and let BMW inconvenience me with various service dates until an eventual cure is found. Or do I reject it as not fit for purpose.
I love the bike it's great but this issue is beginning to grind.

Terry

Ok bike has eventually been fixed additional heat shielding bike has now covered 12000 miles,

Terry

Back
Top Bottom